Tamiya "DJ" Pro-Module Rear Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Tamiya "DJ" Pro-Module Rear Suspension System

Hi
Has anyone are useing or had those on their car on TA05,415,EVO5???
Like to hear some feed back..Thanks

It is worth of buying it?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

do they still sell it? i thought it was a limited run from about 2 years ago? anyhow, i bought a set and one of the uprights was way off. it took tamiya almost 4 months to replace it for me and i never put it back on!

vic
Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hierog
do they still sell it? i thought it was a limited run from about 2 years ago? anyhow, i bought a set and one of the uprights was way off. it took tamiya almost 4 months to replace it for me and i never put it back on!

vic
wow that bad....jzee
What is the ideal of using it?? does is make the rear end more rear traction??
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

From looking at the design, the suspension should produce more overall grip. I think thats what Mr. Garber always said too... it was a little too stuck for him. It's always something to try though.

-Korey
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
From looking at the design, the suspension should produce more overall grip. I think thats what Mr. Garber always said too... it was a little too stuck for him. It's always something to try though.

-Korey
Hey Korey
That's what I'm thinking too...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Im pretty sure I remember reading it was suposed to make you able to run a stiffer spring and still keep the rear end stable or something.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jimbo Morris
Im pretty sure I remember reading it was suposed to make you able to run a stiffer spring and still keep the rear end stable or something.
Your right Jimbo .. from the picture of the rear shock position look closer to hing pin ,it may allow to use the stiffner spring....
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Unhappy

Originally they were made here in the U.S. Now they are made in Japan and imported. The 2nd batch that was made here was machined improperly and the rear toe wasn't equal from one side to the other. I believe this has been corrected in the Jap version. Ran it in my 415 for one season. Worked well but once you hit a dot hard the arms bend very easily. If they made a plastic graphite version I would definitely try it again.!

Just my 2$
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
Your right Jimbo .. from the picture of the rear shock position look closer to hing pin ,it may allow to use the stiffner spring....
It's actually the other way. The spring/shock attach directly to the upright, not the arm, so you run a WAY softer spring since the arm isn't multiplying the leverage applied to the spring. The spring only "sees" the actual (or really close) corner weight.

No idea how it handles...but that's how it works, leverage-wise.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default DJ

I have the DJ, it was installed on my 415 but after I learnt abit more about setting my car up I found I didnt need it anymore.

However lately I have bought an MRE 415 and that thing is nuts, nailing it out of the corner made the bloody thing drift so I installed the DJ pro just to see what it would do and it made huge difference, I could give the car full beans on exit and the ass would just stick. But, they are supplied with the red springs, when you run blue springs on the front like the manual says, with a real soft spring like the reds, course the ass will behave itself, so I took the DJ pro sus off and put the stock on with soft springs, less droop - almost the same result.

I have seen alot of setup sheets for the 415msx with spools and almost all of them have the DJ pro fitted, eg David Juns 415

So I dont know, I wouldnt bother fitting it to the TA05 or the Evo 5, they handle so well already

Hope that helps
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just want to add the the DJ Pro was designed for asphalt racing... don't think it'll be much help on carpet.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've run my Pro Module on my EVO IV and the car handled so well. It was extremely responsive, but controllable. This was on a prepped indoor track which is now closed. I tried running it on asphalt and I didn't see much difference between the stock and Pro Module. In my opinion, I don't think it was really worth it especially since you have to worry about damaging the arms.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know this is a super old thread, but just had a question about installing on it my TA05R V2 (ifs) - I forgot I had this in my spare parts bin and wanted to give it a shot.

The current rear uprights use a 1050 bearing and the pro module uprights use a 950 bearing. Are axles specific to the bearing size?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jessele
I know this is a super old thread, but just had a question about installing on it my TA05R V2 (ifs) - I forgot I had this in my spare parts bin and wanted to give it a shot.

The current rear uprights use a 1050 bearing and the pro module uprights use a 950 bearing. Are axles specific to the bearing size?
Axles require a specific internal diameter from the bearing. Since both 950 and 1050 have a 5mm internal diameter you should be good to go.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Axles require a specific internal diameter from the bearing. Since both 950 and 1050 have a 5mm internal diameter you should be good to go.
Thanks for the confirmation! Wanted to confirm before I opened up the package.