R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Wich material for track surface (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/143966-wich-material-track-surface.html)

Itchy 01-10-2007 08:03 AM

Wich material for track surface

Hi all

My local club is thinking in rebuilding a small track wich is used both for 1/10 and micro cars.

Itīs outdors and the asphalt is very bumpy because of roots from trees.

We were thinking in using concrete over the existing asphalt, but we are afraid that wont give enough traction.
A civil engineer sugested using concrete with small rocks (i want to say 'large sand' but dont know the word in english) and a sort of adesive compound.

Anybody as diferent sugestions? I noticed some tracks in USA seem to be from concrete, but i dont know whats the construction method used.

Any help most apreciated ;)

Difuser 01-10-2007 08:18 AM

What ever you do for your final surface the finish will depend on the prep before that. If you have root problems now if you overlay with concrete my guess is that you would have an even worse mess in 6 months to a year. The roots growing are a huge issue that would need to be removed.

As for the surface material I would go asphalt. The concrete will lose its finish and grip in a fairly short amount of time.

We looked at all materialas when we built out track and it all came back to carpet or asphalt. Being outdoors I would think the carpet would get a touch soggy.... :lol: :lol:

racenut123 01-10-2007 08:18 AM

Concrete with "small rocks" or exposed aggregate will provide good traction but at the expense of excessive tire wear.Not good.Another problem that sounds like you will have is if the existing asphalt has roots coming through it the same with eventually happen to the concrete you overlay.You would need to solve that issue first of all.Hope this helps some.

racenut123 01-10-2007 08:19 AM

Quick draw!

Marcos.J 01-10-2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Itchy
Hi all

My local club is thinking in rebuilding a small track wich is used both for 1/10 and micro cars.

Itīs outdors and the asphalt is very bumpy because of roots from trees.

We were thinking in using concrete over the existing asphalt, but we are afraid that wont give enough traction.
A civil engineer sugested using concrete with small rocks (i want to say 'large sand' but dont know the word in english) and a sort of adesive compound.

Anybody as diferent sugestions? I noticed some tracks in USA seem to be from concrete, but i dont know whats the construction method used.

Any help most apreciated ;)

how about if you pour a concrete slab about 3 to 4 inches then lay the asphalt on top.

Nova F1 Racer 01-10-2007 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
how about if you pour a concrete slab about 3 to 4 inches then lay the asphalt on top.

The roots will go through the concrete in time, you'd be surprised how roots manage to go through condrete....

3 options,
1. Dig down and get rid of the roots then put down small pebbles, 2 inches of concrete and tennis court grade asphalt on top.

2. dig down and put in 12- 16 inches of cocrete and tennis court grade asphalt on top.

3. Get a big-ass steam roller and go over the current asphalt and then put down tennis court grade asphalt on top.

Hope this helps!

Itchy 01-10-2007 12:42 PM

thanks for all the sugestion guys.

I said concrete because i dont know the name in english, but our ideia was to use cement with fine sand wich is suposed to be water proof.
Theoretically, if water doesnt get to the roots, they would stop growing.

We were thinking in making holes and use battery acid on the roots before puting the cement first.

Not sure if that would cure the roots problem though

The best thing would be to remove the roots, but not sure if that is possible because the track is in public grounds

Itchy 01-10-2007 12:47 PM

3 options,
1. Dig down and get rid of the roots then put down small pebbles, 2 inches of concrete and tennis court grade asphalt on top.

2. dig down and put in 12- 16 inches of cocrete and tennis court grade asphalt on top.

3. Get a big-ass steam roller and go over the current asphalt and then put down tennis court grade asphalt on top.

Hope this helps!
Thats an interesting sugestion. I just remembered i ran a pan car on a tenis court in the past, and i did had a lot of grip.

I have no ideia what court tenis grade asphalt is though! :ha:
The tenis courts i now seem more like some kind of painted concrete, but i will try to know what that is. Shows great potencial!

Thanx for the tip Nova ;)
nice avatar :D

kcrunchone 01-10-2007 04:00 PM

Tennis grade asphalt will give you the best surface. How much area are you trying to cover is another factor that you have to keep in mind. Recently our track was done and if you need more info I can provide as much help as possible just email or PM me....

grade 7 asphalt

OR

Tennis grade asphalt ( BIG BIG $$$$$$) It is the highest quality that you will find.

pm and I will help as much as I can

bvoltz 01-10-2007 05:40 PM

They call it "sport coat" that is the paint on the Tennis court....