R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you can purchas a battery gig.. this will help keep your cells straight while you solder them togather .. while in the battery gig . make sure the cells are in neg side up . then the next cell pos side up and so on .. make sure you use at least a 40w iron and LET THE SOLDER TO THE WORK !!! you want to use a small amount of solder ,, enough to hold the battery bars in place .. just remember ,,, dont get the cells to hott .. this can damage your cells ,,, after you have the battery pak assembled let it sit a few minutes then add your wiring again dont let your battery get to hott ... you should be fine at this point ... let the battery cool about 5 minutes then charge it up .. !!!
have fun at the races ... mb.
Mark Barden .
mb racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

My favorite batteries are "Team MB Racing Technologies"
"Dirt is for growing Potatoes"
TQ RC Racing
CHRIS CHAVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

don't forget to sand or roughen up the battery ends (100 grit sandpaper or dremel) so the solder has something to hold onto

hierog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Choose cells from any of the major reputable matchers. You will find that alot of the battery companies get their packs done from smc and then have their own company shrink wrap on them. Nothing wrong with this just know that everyone says their cells are the best but all come from the same distributor whether they are matched from them or not.

I personally use smc's. Have used local matchers a few times but have ultimately gone back to smc.

On building, score the ends of the cells and with a good hot iron with a broad chisel tip. You shouldn't need more then a second or two of contact to make your solder joint. I use a deans jig. A little flux on the cell and bars, tin them all. Use the pressure plate with the jig and solder them up.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #20
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I would say, go to your track and see what they are running and they will probably be selling that in the LHS. Also some LHS will assemble the batteries for a very minor charge. At the end of the day, battery packs are all in the numbers on the pack. I am sure all matchers have great packs and maybe some not so great packs. If you run what some of your local guys are runnging that have experience, then chances are you are going to get a decent pack and getting it from your LHS means you will can get the best pack out of the stack not just the one on top.
jsmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CHRIS CHAVEZ
My favorite batteries are "Team MB Racing Technologies"
they're smokin' fast!
DHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote