New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Damn I just got a new 4 cell match trinity 4cell IB4200 and soldered it up. Today I went to equalize before charging and my DPD read no voltage on the 2nd cell. I confirmed with my dig. voltmeter. This sucks. Anybody ever have this happen with their Trinity pack or any other pack form another matcher? I never even got to use this pack.

Last edited by Dasupacat1; 01-07-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it's not unusual for these new 4200's to die. Just ask where ever you bought it from to replace that cell.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

They are having some problems with the newest batch of cells. I'm not sure what Trinity will do about, I would suggest contacting them.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

just call trinity im sure they will help u out the recent batches havent been the best
Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I got a couple 4200 packs and have the same results
You pretty much have to rematch and weed out the bad cells every week

It sucks

Last edited by Sean B.; 01-07-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Well I emailed Trinity on the subject. If they don't help me out.... Never buying their batts again.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Tech Elite

Try giving the pack a slow charge - sometimes that will bring a cell back to life, not every IB that drops to 0V is dead.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I can't help it, I have to reply. Isn't the reason we pay top dollar for matched packs is so we don't have to worry about a bad cell? After all, matching is supposed to weed out weaker cells.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In this case i wouldnt blame the matcher. Its not their fault IB self discharge this fast...

I do think they should put some kind of date stamp. This way the customer would know what he is buying.

Its good for the matchers too, because they are usually blamed for cells that have been on the shop shelf for months.

just my .2
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

I bought a SMC pack and it had a dead cell..
SMC replaced it no problem. I'm sure trinity would do the same.

Unfortunate thing was the track where I bought the pack wouldn't help me out at all so I had to pay $10 to ship the pack... I think whomever sold the pack should handle it. But I understand why they don't who knows what the buyer could have done with the pack...

My DPD is very sensitive and annoying..

I will put a pack in and it will say bettery error or whatever and then I will flip it around and it will work fine!?

You could also try charging the pack and see if the cell comes back to life... But if the MM is reading 0.0 than I guess its dead..

If I had done my proper research and seen how fragile these NIMH Cells are I would have gone lipo...

Admin: edited for language. please watch this in the future

Me Edit: Whoa no swearing on this forum wh00ps..

Last edited by mcgmark; 01-08-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow I do hear a lot of problem with the newer generation cells.....

As a budget racer, I would rather want something that is reliable and robust like those GP3300 eventhough I have to sacrifice power....

Hopefully battery manufacturers would make newer cells that would last longer...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mcgmark
You could also try charging the pack and see if the cell comes back to life... But if the MM is reading 0.0 than I guess its dead..
I had a similar issue with one of my packs this week. One cell came up 0.0 on my CTXD2. I was able to put three cycles through it while at the track, and the cell did come back to life, and was able to hold a good charge & voltage after the 2nd cycle.

Just becuase the cell shows 0.0V does not always mean they are dead, but cycling them might not bring them back to life either. It is hit and miss sometimes.

Another way to check to see if the cell is truely dead, even after cycling the pack, is to charge it through a CTXD2, if you have one. If that cell shows higher voltage than the rest of the pack when charging, it is either weak or dead, and should be replaced. If you do try the above method, make sure you hook up your CTXD to a seperate power supply than the charger.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does anyone make a good cell anymore?
I mean sure the IB's are great and all ... for the first few runs
But most people who don't get free packs can't afford to buy new ones every month.

I'm actually surprised that this is not more of a hot topic
Even more surprised that the 4200's are as popular as they are
because they are JUNK
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sean B.
Does anyone make a good cell anymore?
I mean sure the IB's are great and all ... for the first few runs
But most people who don't get free packs can't afford to buy new ones every month.

I'm actually surprised that this is not more of a hot topic
Even more surprised that the 4200's are as popular as they are
because they are JUNK
I think aslong as you treat these packs with the respect and maintenance they deserve you shouldn't have a problem..
Old 01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Dasupacat1

I am sorry to hear about that. Not just Trinity but all the matchers have been fighting with the IB cell, the batches of cells have not been consistant.
Contact Trinity thought there website, they online support help though email.
In the furture when you run IB packs put about 300 seconds back into them if you only race once a week. You might have got a pack that your hobby shop had sitting for a long period of time so that might have been the cause to. Most matchers are putting charge back into the packs after they match them to prevent this. I am sure Trinity will help out. Just send them a detailed message on your concern. Thanks for using Trinity products.

Regards,

Mark Adams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.