Wiki Posts
Search

New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Brother Rob speaks the truth

Looks like trinity is just getting their own shrink wrap.

You should still be able to get your ep's from your regular matcher.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kuzo
I guess that Lipo can be pretty scary if you base your opinion on some moron intentionally destroying it because it looks cool. I personally have never found a video of a lipo going off that wasn't intentionally done. I bet I can get a NiCd pack to go boom on video too. Will that change your opinion on those as well? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here but we aren't talking about lipo but a real problem some NiMH cells are having. "At least it wasn't lipo" does not solve the problem.

All batteries need to be treated right or bad things can happen. I've never liked that our side by side packs are so easy to accidentally short. Is there any reason we can't equalize the packs using a wiring harness like lipo uses allowing the pack to be shrink wrapped?
Well, not basing it on that, idk, I've never had a pack explode on me, it's leaked, but nothing more, and I said it was my own fault, felt bad for my first grasshopper :P, it ruined it. I know a battery can blow, and I know more than anyone it's their own fault most of the time, from bad gearing, to overcharging, it's almost always User Error :P

But, Idk, I guess I'm just trying to figure why people would spend so much money for 2 more minutes of runtime
Old 06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
this is from Trinity "Trinity Products Inc. is proud to announce that we will be the exclusive North American agent for the EP line of batteries. Along with distributing and racing the new EP cells Trinity will act as as EP's advisor on the real needs of the RC racing market as well as providing technical support.

Trinity will offer the EP cells as Trinity & EPIC branded matched, matched assembled, sport packs, and receiver packs.

Trinity will also have the EP cells and packs available for OEM sales. For the OEM battery information contact Garry Owen @ Trinity for more information and sales. ([email protected])"

Hmmm time to go LiPo.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
This is not what I am hearing. ProMatch says they still distribute this cell, they have just confirmed their next order with East Power.

Is the Trinity deal current or does it start in the future? Or are they just getting their own shrink??
From what I was told Rob they will still be in the same red/black shrink like they are now and that Promatch is out. Trinity is exclusive. Now when this starts I am NOT sure of but would assume by the emails I got it starts today.

EA

P.S. And for what its worth I hope that its not true and everyone that uses EP's will be able to still get them from their current source. Exclusives usually are not good on anything!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Big B;3432516]
I guess I should have been more specific, the MAJORITY of people having cells blow on them either don't have the proper equipment to cycle them, don't know how to properly take care of their batts, or ignore what they have been told or read to do to take care of them.
Now that you've gotten more specific, I agree with you. There's a big difference between having "issues" and "having cells blow"...

What does a 2 DOA cells have to do with them being volatile, that's just bad luck, that I am sure the matcher replaced for you, as for the other 2 went bad how? Dead?
Maybe volatile isn't the best word so I'll get more specific. Not only are the IB4200's more volatile than their predecessors, but they also have serious durability issues that I have personally experienced. I don't think getting DOA cells is just "bad luck". I've been buying expensive matched packs for almost 20 years and the only cells I've gotten DOA are IB4200's. Either I've been extremely lucky or IB4200's are extremely fragile. As far as the other two cells go, one went completely dead and the other one was going down the same path so I got rid of it after it wouldn't hold a charge for more than 12 - 16 hours.

I took a break from racing during 2003 - 2005 and got back into it last year. The first thing I did was replace my Panasonic 3000's with IB4200's. I bought 40 - 50 Panasonic cells in 2001 - 2002 and none of them were DOA or went dead after heavy use. They'd just lose their punch over time. The IB4200's, on the other hand, have such bad volatility and durability issues that I'm finding there's a good chance that they'll go dead before they even get used enough to start seeing their performance drop off. I'd much rather eventually throw away cells that have given me a solid year of good use than have cells crap out on me just before a race...As far as bang for your buck and reliability goes, my old 3000's were a much better deal than my current IB4200's. That's why I think IB4200's have done more harm than good...

You think an IB4200 is volatile, overcharge a lipo
I guess it just depends on if you want to risk getting 3rd degree lipo burns or have NIMH shrapnel stuck in your face. Neither outcome sounds good to me so that's why I don't abuse any of my batteries.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can't deny their durability has been in question on more than one occassion, I haven't had any of my packs fall off yet, guess I am just lucky. I too wish that durability wasn't an issue, but the higher and higher they push the capacity the more fragile they are going to get. I also don't know what the awnser is to fix this, maybe we need an adminstration to govern batteries, simmilar to the FDA, where the batts would have to meet certain specifications before being sold to the public. I wish that GP was still making thier 3300, that cell was nearly indistructable, I had some packs laying around the house for over a year, threw them on the charger, first charge they peaked around 3100, but on the second cycle they perked back up to over 3400, not increadible but good enough for practice.

The thing that worries me about Lipo's is even with proper care they can blow up in your face, just ask Jeff Cuffs, he had one catch fire on him and I am pretty sure he knew what he was doing
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
The thing that worries me about Lipo's is even with proper care they can blow up in your face, just ask Jeff Cuffs, he had one catch fire on him and I am pretty sure he knew what he was doing
Isn't he the guy that burned down his car due to throwing a DAMAGED pack on his car seat and leaving it there overnight? If this is who you are talking about, knowing what you are doing and actually doing it right are two different things...

Now, I am quoting someone from Orion who sent me this in an email - "The Orion LiPo will not explode or torch even if over charged they will simply puff and pop like a paper bag. Too date we have only had one customer even manage to do this."

I have found no one claim to date that an Orion pack has torched. I'd like to hear if anyone else has heard of an ORION pack behaving this way. The way I'm seeing it, NiMH may have run it's course. Something to think about at least.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=kuzo;3432811]Isn't he the guy that burned down his carQUOTE]

the car didnt burn down still drive it today
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just the interior then. Glad you got it taken care of.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

glad u had your facts straight
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
glad u had your facts straight
Other than the total destruction of the car, do I have the rest right? The thread has disappeared - I am working from memory here.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Other than the total destruction of the car, do I have the rest right? The thread has disappeared - I am working from memory here.
everybody makes mistakes,just remember he could have been killed for the rest of his life
Old 06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

awesome marcos makes his apperance i knew this thread was missing something now its complete
Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
awesome marcos makes his apperance i knew this thread was missing something now its complete
wow some one didnt have their cereal this morning
why are you getting mad i was trying to tell them what could have happend to you and you get mad?? oh well
Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

no im good just chillen just got done car shopping cleaned the bike and laughing at your genius comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.