Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats just it
We do treat them with respect
We do all the maintenance to the point of being mad battery scientists
But they are still junk
Anyone who says different either has something to gain (ie. battery matchers)
or they are lying or in denial because they don't want to admit to them selfs that all the packs they just bought are booty

And what about this?
mgcmark
"If I had done my proper research and seen how fragile these NIMH Cells are I would have gone lipo..."
Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Wassup Sean? Good to see you at the track this weekend.

I'm pretty disappointed with these cells, myself. I bought 6 six-cell packs about 1 1/2 months before Cleveland. I had to weed out two of the cells before my third weekend of racing with them. Now I've got at least three more cells going bad. I didn't pay a fortune for 'em, but that's not the point. Isn't the 35A discharge supposed to weed out the bad cells better than 30A? Maybe the 35A discharge is doing more harm than good.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default yes, I had one cell out of 12 dead on arrival.

These are crap and should be disallowed from the hobby, oh they explode as well,

full thread here:

http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27232

everyone seems to be making excuses for them "you did not treat them right" etc, but hell this is dangerous and the manufacturers should be taken to task.

You will note that a young lady in this thread has had her sight damaged in one eye when her RX nicads blew up, guys this is serious stuff. apparantly this is just one of a number of incidences of IB4200s blowing up, they are far too fragile for our use......
Old 01-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

I have 7 packs that have been sitting around for a couple months now..

every week I have been equalizing them and putting in 500secs

If i go to race them and they won't last long enuff or whatever..

I am going to be flipping the **** out that's for sure.

language!

Last edited by Speedo; 01-08-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AEDave
These are crap and should be disallowed from the hobby, oh they explode as well,

full thread here:

everyone seems to be making excuses for them "you did not treat them right" etc, but hell this is dangerous and the manufacturers should be taken to task.

You will note that a young lady in this thread has had her sight damaged in one eye when her RX nicads blew up, guys this is serious stuff. apparantly this is just one of a number of incidences of IB4200s blowing up, they are far too fragile for our use......
scary
Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The reason for the dead cell issue is this... IB has constructed the cell in such a way the cells produce tons of voltage, have extremely low IR, and good runtime. Unfortunately in doing so they also made the cells more susceptible to micro-shorts. When a cell is micro-shorted, it self-discharges rather quickly to 0.0 volts.

You should not try to resurrect cells that test as 0.0 volts. This is because these cells will have 30-50 seconds less runtime than other cells in the pack. Its the same reason why all matchers are telling racers to store their packs with a charge - NI-MH cells degrade when left with little charge. Contact the matcher and ask for a replacement cell if your pack came like that.

Oh and this is a very common (and big) problem with all IB cells right now, blue wrapped or Trinty/Epic wrapped..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I will try and cycle the pack at a low amp and see what happens..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

and this is why ppl are getting out of this hobby,cuz today's cell's suck. in the old day's we did not have this problem but now im even getting mad about the junk we get and you have to send it back your self. sanyo where are you.and its not the batch cuz i have 1st and world champ cell's and they all such now,yes ppl have cell's that are still good where i race but all in all more ppl have bad luck with these thing's, so i guss i have to go buy new cell's again,why cuz im a RC junky and i can't stop racing
Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Good luck on contacting Trinity via the e-mail support, thats even a bigger joke. I did the same thing and got the automated response that they would contact me within 72 hours, that was over a month ago, and guess what, ZIP. Customer support really sucks, and I know Ernie P is hawking this topic, so maybe he'll actually do something about it, but my guess is nope.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Good luck on contacting Trinity via the e-mail support, thats even a bigger joke. I did the same thing and got the automated response that they would contact me within 72 hours, that was over a month ago, and guess what, ZIP. Customer support really sucks, and I know Ernie P is hawking this topic, so maybe he'll actually do something about it, but my guess is nope.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AEDave

full thread here:

These cells do not just explode on their own. User misuse or charger misuse is what causes these cells to explode. Ive matched thousands of cells and have not had any explode. It happens when people forget packs have charge in them or they are already fully charged and then try to charge them again. Or a charged pack get shorted out on a chassis or against something. That is not the batteries fault...Its the user's fault.

These cells are not idiot proof and all types of batteries are dangerous when mistreated or abused.

EA
Old 01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
maybe it was 72 months not hours
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
These cells do not just explode on their own. User misuse or charger misuse is what causes these cells to explode. Ive matched thousands of cells and have not had any explode. It happens when people forget packs have charge in them or they are already fully charged and then try to charge them again. Or a charged pack get shorted out on a chassis or against something. That is not the batteries fault...Its the user's fault.

These cells are not idiot proof and all types of batteries are dangerous when mistreated or abused.

EA
straight answers from a pro!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There were 2 packs blown up at the novak race this week, both were due to being over charged. One was on a GFX being cycled on accident and when the user went to check it the voltage appeared low so in order to get it done for his race he turned his charger up to 12amps on an already full pack, it started venting so he moved it to a safe area and it blew up. The other I do not know the exact situation.

The moral of the story, if you hear a pack venting get it to a safe area.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Wally had one explode near my feet at the NWCC this weekend. Needless to say, I jumped like a little girl

He admitted he accidentally kicked it and it shorted on something continuously though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.