Wiki Posts
Search

New Trinity 4200 cell ..no voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
no im good just chillen just got done car shopping cleaned the bike and laughing at your genius comments
they are good arent they! im glad you follow them , i guess you are my biggest fan oh my gosh I cant belive that Im talking to a pro toy car driver like that

what car did you buy?? make sure you get extra fire insurance!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

im done here i dont one someone to blow a gasket!!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lol im going to chill with the lady you should do the same oh wait nm:
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
lol im going to chill with the lady you should do the same oh wait nm:
i chill with her every night!!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big B
I can't deny their durability has been in question on more than one occassion, I haven't had any of my packs fall off yet, guess I am just lucky. I too wish that durability wasn't an issue, but the higher and higher they push the capacity the more fragile they are going to get. I also don't know what the awnser is to fix this, maybe we need an adminstration to govern batteries, simmilar to the FDA, where the batts would have to meet certain specifications before being sold to the public. I wish that GP was still making thier 3300, that cell was nearly indistructable, I had some packs laying around the house for over a year, threw them on the charger, first charge they peaked around 3100, but on the second cycle they perked back up to over 3400, not increadible but good enough for practice.

The thing that worries me about Lipo's is even with proper care they can blow up in your face, just ask Jeff Cuffs, he had one catch fire on him and I am pretty sure he knew what he was doing
Well I guess we got a little derailed there. My main thought is maybe NiMH has approached it's limit. They are packing a lot of power into the same size cell; maybe the limit has been hit until tech catches up. There has been countless reports of dead cells and I've heard more reports of exploding cells lately than usual. Even the GP3300s had a pretty small racing life which is why so many people have a good amount of "practice" packs. Ever since I took the lipo plunge, I've been driving more and enjoying it more. And I still have no practice packs, only race.

I'm still looking for anyone who has had an Orion lipo flare up/explode/give them dirty looks.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why does every single thread about Nimh cells on RCTech get hijacked by Lipo lovers, calling for the death of NIMH's? I guess they've run out of useful information to share in their own threads and need to come stir crap up in threads that don't pertain to them....
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Why does every single thread about Nimh cells on RCTech get hijacked by Lipo lovers, calling for the death of NIMH's? I guess they've run out of useful information to share in their own threads and need to come stir crap up in threads that don't pertain to them....
I dunno, why does every NiMH lover have to spread misinformation by saying "at least it wasn't a lipo hahaha". I have until recently run both lipo and nimh so I felt I had some valid points to discuss relating to the thread topic - bad nimh cells. I'll leave it to myself to decide what threads pertain to me and discuss as I see fit but thank you for concern.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuzo
Well I guess we got a little derailed there. My main thought is maybe NiMH has approached it's limit. They are packing a lot of power into the same size cell; maybe the limit has been hit until tech catches up. There has been countless reports of dead cells and I've heard more reports of exploding cells lately than usual. Even the GP3300s had a pretty small racing life which is why so many people have a good amount of "practice" packs. Ever since I took the lipo plunge, I've been driving more and enjoying it more. And I still have no practice packs, only race.

I'm still looking for anyone who has had an Orion lipo flare up/explode/give them dirty looks.

Your entire post above is Pro-Lipo, and Anti-Nimh! I am by no means a NIMH lover. As I said when Lithium Manganese becomes widely accepted, I'll be right there pushing to make the switch. I'm just tired of every thread pertaining to ACTUAL RACING CELLS, you know the ones that are legal for racing, becoming some sort of political pulpit for the legalization of Lipo's. I was in no means trying to exclude you from the discussion of 4200 mah Nimh cells in this thread, I just get sick of wading through all the pro-lipo propaganda in threads pertaining to Nimh's.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Your entire post above is Pro-Lipo, and Anti-Nimh! I am by no means a NIMH lover. As I said when Lithium Manganese becomes widely accepted, I'll be right there pushing to make the switch. I'm just tired of every thread pertaining to ACTUAL RACING CELLS, you know the ones that are legal for racing, becoming some sort of political pulpit for the legalization of Lipo's. I was in no means trying to exclude you from the discussion of 4200 mah Nimh cells in this thread, I just get sick of wading through all the pro-lipo propaganda in threads pertaining to Nimh's.
Could it be the reason I've become pro-lipo from the failings in nimh batteries that were brought up by the thread starter? Could it also be I didn't even bother post until someone decided to pull the thank god it wasn't a lipo bs comment.

My post was pro-lipo due to the fact that my experience with the same problems brought up in the initial post prompted me to make the switch so I related that experience. If that is "propaganda" then I suggest that you look up the word.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Could it be the reason I've become pro-lipo from the failings in nimh batteries that were brought up by the thread starter? Could it also be I didn't even bother post until someone decided to pull the thank god it wasn't a lipo bs comment.

My post was pro-lipo due to the fact that my experience with the same problems brought up in the initial post prompted me to make the switch so I related that experience. If that is "propaganda" then I suggest that you look up the word.

I refer again to your comment that Nimh's have appraoched their limits. Manufacturer's are improving their cells, just as we the racers have requested. I have seen SEVERAL R/C vehicles DESTROYED by Lipo's. I have also seen Lipo's that were defective straight from the distributor. I'm not hanging out in the Legalize Lipo thread discussing melted E-maxx's and Mini-t's, or the number of defective Lipo packs I've personally refunded customers for at the hobby shop I work at part-time. I can see by your avatar that you're an intelligent person, with good taste,(at least as far as music goes), and I'm just pointing out that the wording you chose does sound like pro-lipo propaganda.

And for clarification:

Propaganda- A conscious systematic, and organized effort designed to manipulate or influence the decisions, actions or beliefs of a large number of people in a specified direction on a controversial issue

Probably a bit dramatic on my part, but hey, I love a little literary flair.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dramatic? yes

Personally, I do feel they may have hit their limit on nimh. I've been wrong on a lot of things before and maybe wrong on this. It's on topic and in the right place to post that comment. You just think I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. The comments I responded to earlier in this thread sounded more like trying to minimize the fact that that battery exploded by saying if it was a lipo it would have been worse. That's like saying sure I slept with your wife but at least I didn't sleep with your wife and your sister like lipo did.

Anyway, I have more to say but it has more to do with lipo. Maybe I'll pm ya.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Dramatic? yes

Personally, I do feel they may have hit their limit on nimh. I've been wrong on a lot of things before and maybe wrong on this. It's on topic and in the right place to post that comment. You just think I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to start a fight here. The comments I responded to earlier in this thread sounded more like trying to minimize the fact that that battery exploded by saying if it was a lipo it would have been worse. That's like saying sure I slept with your wife but at least I didn't sleep with your wife and your sister like lipo did.

Anyway, I have more to say but it has more to do with lipo. Maybe I'll pm ya.

Cool, I'm not going to war on this issue either. I don't think you're wrong, it's just that as a racer who runs large events, and club races under the rules of said large events, I don't think LIpo's are the answer due to the legality issue and I think that maybe rc racers on the whole aren't ready for Lipo's yet. While they are less work, from my personal experience in a hobby store, they seem a whole lot easier to blow-up/and or ruin. I've got six packs of 4200's and haven't had any trouble with any of them. I guess I'm just lucky.

In the Trinity/EP thread Mr. Black just informed me that the Orion packs are Lithium Manganese in construction, or at least he appeared to have alluded to that fact. That would explain their lower volatility, which makes them more appealing. They won't fit in my favorite class of car, so that's still bothersome, but maybe that'll be addressed as the technology proliferates.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

In the Trinity/EP thread Mr. Black just informed me that the Orion packs are Lithium Manganese in construction, or at least he appeared to have alluded to that fact. That would explain their lower volatility, which makes them more appealing. They won't fit in my favorite class of car, so that's still bothersome, but maybe that'll be addressed as the technology proliferates.
Interesting......
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

All this conversation makes me dread buying new batteries for my 12 scale this fall. The Orion 3200 Lipos are sweet in my TC. I've run a lot of both, I have my favorite.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sportpak
All this conversation makes me dread buying new batteries for my 12 scale this fall. The Orion 3200 Lipos are sweet in my TC. I've run a lot of both, I have my favorite.

EP's are awesome, you'll be okay......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.