Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What would you run, if you had a legal Choice? >

What would you run, if you had a legal Choice?

What would you run, if you had a legal Choice?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default What would you run, if you had a legal Choice?

Remember the title here... It is a new year and a lot of debate over subCs and LiPos has occurred in the past, but let's see what people really want.

Goto this link and give your answer... it is a simple Poll.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=142310

You are to assume that all are legal at all levels of racing to run, and the question is simple, if you have a choice, which would you run. This is not a debate over what is legal and what is not in 2007, it is if you have a choice what would it be.

How did I get to this point. Simple posted on the ROAR web site is:

12/10/06 Recommended Weight Guidelines

ROAR is providing the following guidelines for clubs and tracks that wish to entertain four and five cell provisional racing in their respective programs or series. In all cases dummy cells should be discouraged to prevent 'accidental usage.'

*For Electric Touring: 5 cells- 1343g foam tires, 1450g rubber tires; 4 cells- 1268g foam, 1375g rubber.

Link: http://www.roarracing.org/news.php

And the fact that ROAR has not outlawed LiPos at any of Level 1 to 3 racing, as long as it is published before the race.

So let the world see what the preference is.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Remember the title here... It is a new year and a lot of debate over subCs and LiPos has occurred in the past, but let's see what people really want.

You are to assume that all are legal at all levels of racing to run, and the question is simple, if you have a choice, which would you run. This is not a debate over what is legal and what is not in 2007, it is if you have a choice what would it be.

How did I get to this point. Simple posted on the ROAR web site is:

12/10/06 Recommended Weight Guidelines

ROAR is providing the following guidelines for clubs and tracks that wish to entertain four and five cell provisional racing in their respective programs or series. In all cases dummy cells should be discouraged to prevent 'accidental usage.'

*For Electric Touring: 5 cells- 1343g foam tires, 1450g rubber tires; 4 cells- 1268g foam, 1375g rubber.

Link: http://www.roarracing.org/news.php

And the fact that ROAR has not outlawed LiPos at any of Level 1 to 3 racing, as long as it is published before the race.

So let the world see what the preference is.

Lipo batteries are not legal now...true...many clubs still use them and should continue to but ROAR still doesn't allow them to be used per their rules or has something changed that I missed? The whole 4-5 cell thing is simply a way to keep Lipo batteries out of competition so that current battery manufacturers and matchers can continue to make stupid amounts of profit off of batteries that don't last and we HAVE to replace all the time..unlike Lipo. VIVE Le' LITHIUM POLYMER!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

If people use and demand lipo what is legal will change.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

LiPo are legal.... per ROAR:

The LiPo's are not banned. Altough at the meeting this was considered, subsequently the decision was modified as noted on our web
site under NEWS: http://www.roarracing.org/news.php, November 12, 2006

Use of LiPo's does not affect the validity of ROAR insurance.

Fred Hohwart, ROAR Administrator
Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

LiPo are legal.... per ROAR:

The LiPo's are not banned. Altough at the meeting this was considered, subsequently the decision was modified as noted on our web
site under NEWS: http://www.roarracing.org/news.php, November 12, 2006

Use of LiPo's does not affect the validity of ROAR insurance.

Fred Hohwart, ROAR Administrator
Per that date:
11/12/06 LiPo battery decision clarified.

For 2007 Lithium Polymer batteries are not permitted to compete with NiCad or NiMh batteries in electric class racing because the voltages are not equivalent nor do the pack dimensions match those currently observed by ROAR and IFMAR. This rule does not currently affect receiver packs at this time, however ROAR is concerned with the overall safety of these cells when located near or around flammable/combustible materials. ROAR will investigate this further.

So, they CANNOT be used at a ROAR sanctioned event. Club races can use them only against other Lipo users. They aren't "banned" but can't really be used either.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sorry can't vote no foam tire option.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Per that date:
11/12/06 LiPo battery decision clarified.

For 2007 Lithium Polymer batteries are not permitted to compete with NiCad or NiMh batteries in electric class racing because the voltages are not equivalent nor do the pack dimensions match those currently observed by ROAR and IFMAR. This rule does not currently affect receiver packs at this time, however ROAR is concerned with the overall safety of these cells when located near or around flammable/combustible materials. ROAR will investigate this further.

So, they CANNOT be used at a ROAR sanctioned event. Club races can use them only against other Lipo users. They aren't "banned" but can't really be used either.
This is not ture... If stated in the race flyer before the race, you can allow LiPo and SubCs in the same class. Per ROAR, I know this is in the rule book, I just can not remember the rule number... At Level 1 to 3 races. Not at a National race.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

This is not ture... If stated in the race flyer before the race, you can allow LiPo and SubCs in the same class. Per ROAR, I know this is in the rule book, I just can not remember the rule number... At Level 1 to 3 races. Not at a National race.
Under Battery Rules page 32:

8.3.1 Only Ni-Cd or Nimh sub-C size rechargeable batteries rated at 1.2 volts or less may be used for the motor power in electric vehicle racing.

Lipo are NOT allowed. That's directly from the 2007 rules. No mention of Lipo anywhere.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muahdib4
Under Battery Rules page 32:

8.3.1 Only Ni-Cd or Nimh sub-C size rechargeable batteries rated at 1.2 volts or less may be used for the motor power in electric vehicle racing.

Lipo are NOT allowed. That's directly from the 2007 rules. No mention of Lipo anywhere.
Sorry but this is only part of the rules... I'm not talking about a national race, I'm talking about the club and regional racing... It is allow, in fact anything is allowed as long as it is published before the race. I will find it for you...

Here is the rule:

From the ROAR rulebook:

1.2.8 For Level 3 or 4 events, the final interpretation of any questioned ROAR rule is the responsibility of the Designated ROAR Official for that event. Special rulings may be made by the Designated ROAR Official at an event to amend, suspend, or modify existing rules to account for conditions arising from the location of the event, the condition of the course, weather conditions, or other circumstances requiring such a ruling. Such special rulings will be effective for the event in question only, with no precedence being established for any subsequent event.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

But anyway... the Poll was to find out if you could, what would perfer to run. Not a question about what is legal or not at ROAR or said event.

I think it would be interesting for us to Vote, and let the people see what they would run if they could.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

sub c
Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, let the people make the decision but even if they do...ROAR will do what IT wants. They will do whatever it takes to keep Lipo out of racing. The batteries just last to long and people wouldn't need new ones every month. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Tech Lord

Throw a foam tire option in there, and I'll vote.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Lord

From the looks of the results so far, lipo is demanding respect.
I dont think its Fair, the want to run foam guys are being forced to vote on rubber.

X
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

lipoo in 1/12 hmm long run time,but i dont think it would fit in the car,it will hit the shock i think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.