Thanks guys. I've got them nicely bled and matched now.
Did as you said and loosened the bottom caps to bleed them equal. I made a mistake so stupid I'm reluctant to admit it. The old shock top caps, unrecognized by me, had dry hard old bladders practically laminated to them. I didn't know there were old bladders on them, thought that was just the caps, and I was installing them that way on top of new bladders.
No wonder there was no room for the pistons to come up all the way. I also threaded the two bottom eyes further onto the shafts so that the shocks weren't so compressed to start with. Set my ride height, set an approximate droop, used droop blocks to get the downstops perfectly equal, rechecked it all and I believe I'm ready for Sunday.