R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #46
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If your not having fun what's the point?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgmark
How would this revive onroad club racing?

Nobody cares that they are driving a '65 shelby that will not make racing more fun or exciting.

It's like you guys are ignoring the real problem with R/C racing.

Cost, Skill/Competition and Lack of local tracks.

12th scale is a very simple chassis but takes quite a bit of skill and money that scares people away.

The industry is headed in the right direction with low maintenance brushless systems with long running and easy to maintain lipo batteries.

forget the gimmicks

I was simply making a suggestion that adding more variety to the mix may help club racing.... more choices = more interested people... Some people may like to mix it up in the TC classes and use the best equipment and the fastest bodies, etc, while others may like to race a Shelby Mustang "roadster" with a highly modified pan car chassis and spoked wheels and not care that they're the fastest or if it's the smoothest and easiest driving car out there....it wasn't a gimmick... it was a suggestion...

From some of the posts I've seen in this thread, some people are taking this topic way too seriously...which may be why a lot of new club racers are drawn away from the hobby in the first place

As Turtlemaster said, my local onroad track is pretty good with allowing more open classes.. I did know about the F103GT class there and wasn't trying to infer that they weren't doing a good job of mixing the classes up (this thread was started in response to another thread and was concerned with the hobby in general..it had no corelation at all with my local track's actions..).... In fact I went there today and purchased a servo, and liked the new track layout they have....so I need to get something put together and head up there sometime in the future I have to start putting my F103GT together .. I'll make a point of starting on it sometime next week...

Let's continue the thread... But I think I'll redefine this a little bit...

I realize now that one person's definition of a club racer is diferent from another's... what I mean was a Sportsman racer... I.E., a beginning to intermediate racer that goes to his local track to race more for fun and to tinker with their car rather than getting first place trophies and counting lap times. I think adding a wider variety of bodies and chassis kits to the onroad hobby and creating rules at the sportsman level that allow innovation and FUN would help it grow some...Of course, it won't be the magic bullet and there are several other things that could help (as others have suggested).... But for this thread lets keep the discussion on new chassis options, new body selections, and how they can attract sportsman racers into the mix(or not...??).... Also it would be a good place to share any interesting manufacture tidbits regarding these topics.... anyone???
-CRC T-Fource
-Losi XXX-S
-Darkside I-Force 10th scale pan car (under construction)

-Associated B4, T4
-Losi XXX-CR, XXX-4

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!" :
-Dark Helmet, master of the Dark Side of the Shwartz......
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #48
Tech Lord

Justinian I know this dosnt have anything to do with bodies, But in my days we would make a class if there was'nt one to meet your need,or fit that person in some other class till that class had a chance to take off. These days what I see is this its what we offer take it or leave it. Just my 2, I'm trying to help. Sorry if my input tee's any one off but I've been looking all over this tech for Mr. Blacks class and this is as close as I've seen, so hopfully it all works out. Some time's these thread's are a forgott'n solution to the question good luck dude.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-08-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #49
Tech Lord

I've been on this R'C tech sense my last birthday, I've been through this archive alot. And I would like to see this thread not buried 10 pages back.
It gets to the heart of a matter. Hopfully, And your right some time's it will get serious. Generating new racer's is serious buissness. There's poeple on the tech that can chase poeple off quick. So keep it up beat and entheusiastic that is a good influeance. Sorry that's depressing, I mean lets rock'n roll go fast and try not to crash baby, vroom, vroom sqease that trigger till it breaks off and have a barrel of fun. later.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #50
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

X, it is extremely difficult on the eyes reading your posts....

You really need to spell correctly and use a little better grammar. There are people from all over the world and many who do not speak or read emglish very well. I'm sure there are many reading this forum through a translator.

You make it extremely impossible for anyone but yourself to understand what you are trying to say.

Download Firefox 2.0, it has a built in spell checker, right click on the underlined word and it'll give you the correct spelling.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Everyone needs to look at the more simple problems with the R/C hobby to bring in new drivers and bring back the old ones.
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Why did X walk across the track?.....yn0811ltv llahsram oT <<<<<<<

M
Sorry I've been letting my 5 year old type fer mee.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-08-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
We built a few vintage cars to race around at the track. I have a few personal thoughts. If you do it, it needs to be an older, everybody agrees on it, chassis. use motors and battery combinations that are so slow that it keeps people from ruining it. Like 4 cell stock, or what have you. So far, the few times we've run them, they've been a blast. You develop a "SAVE THE BODY" attitude when driving them. Finishing first is not always the goal. Looking good on the track with these cars, is the goal.

Mr Stormer

Great lookin cars!!! What chassis is under those bodies? what off set would I need to have for a Tamiya Ta 05 to get the same look as yours
Thanks Rodney
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

So far for the price, availability and quality, HPI has got the best nostalgia oriented products available. (wheels & tires especially) Kyosho had a nostalgia series as well a while back but we all know how difficult Kyosho products were to get back then.

The idea of a nostalgia series is great for hobbyists because we can dig-up an old TC chassis and revive them with some new nostalgia bits. However, for the new guy, they would have to source from the new products out there. And when you are new, you don't want to be buying bits from here and there.

It would be nice if HPI or Tamiya or whoever to come out with a prepackaged kit with a basic electric chassis and nostalgia body and wheels. So far HPI has their nostalgia kits built around their nitro car and their new electric car is drift only. Trinity had a nice beginner car, T-Spec, which was cheap, tunable, and bullet-proof, also heavy but that was good for newbies. If that car can be re-issued pre-packaged with a nostalgia body that would be the ticket.

BTW, someone else in one of the forums was trying to make a Porsche 917 body but I'm not so sure if it happened or not. Also I think Marty Peterson (MLP Motorsport) was working on some scale bodies. Anyways, whoever it is please, please make that 917 Porsche happen real real soon!
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHippo
Mr Stormer

Great lookin cars!!! What chassis is under those bodies? what off set would I need to have for a Tamiya Ta 05 to get the same look as yours
Thanks Rodney
Just good old Xray T1's.

26mm on the front 31mm on the back.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #56
Tech Elite

For the winter, at my local track we run a spec class. Box stock TT-01, under $50 speedo, stick 3300's unmatched, rubber tire, 540 motor. All of the racing is within second of each other. However, the cool part about this is that you must run a body dating pre-1972. Currently there are a handfull of Impalas and Mustangs running. While it is not a requirement, most are painted and stickered as if from that era. They are very cool looking. Aside, from the spec nature of the class, the body is what drew my attention.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to S.Heath

Just to chime in on what our local track has done with 'club night'. We have what we call 'Speed GT' class. Any touring chassis, CS27 rubber tires, either 19 turn or Novak brushless 4300 motors, only 2 door GT style bodies. Corvettes, Saleens, Vipers, Porsche 911 GT1s, Porsche 911 turbos, Mazda RX7, Mustangs, Mercedes CLKs, Nissan Skylines, etc. We have also run points series for both individuals and 3 person teams.
One of the really cool things we are doing is having an enduro as the last race of each series. 3 person teams, 500 laps. Each driver runs their own car, but must handoff the team transponder when changing drivers. Everyone must use a 'house' transponder, not their personals. These have been some really great races.
This has been very successful, bringing in a number of new racers, or guys that are now running this as a second class.
I know it's not the ultimate answer, but it has really pumped up our club nights.
S.Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #58
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

raffaelli,

I'm jealous. What track do you race at? At my track we had the "american Muscle car class" like Jiml said. It was actually stock motors not 19 turns. The class died out. Its two bad there was nothing like seeing a boss mustang racing a 70's cuda. Sombody had a Camaro, an impala, and one person even had a 57 nomad wagon.
I think for the class to be sucessful everyone should use the same motor, weather its a silver can 540 or the trinity spec 19, doesn't make a difference. If your going to make it a weekly class have everyone turn the motors in at the end of the night. Use whatever chaisis you have, just to keep cost down. and you have to use a nostalgia body( or whatever your class is).

As for thinking that people don't notice the bodies being raced, in stock class a couple of times I've used a 61 Impala done up as a cop car with flashing lights. The car got plenty of looks before the race and people were taking picutres,and the car drew a large crowd from the poeple that were there.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kregger
raffaelli,

I'm jealous. What track do you race at? At my track we had the "american Muscle car class" like Jiml said. It was actually stock motors not 19 turns. The class died out. Its two bad there was nothing like seeing a boss mustang racing a 70's cuda. Sombody had a Camaro, an impala, and one person even had a 57 nomad wagon.
I think for the class to be sucessful everyone should use the same motor, weather its a silver can 540 or the trinity spec 19, doesn't make a difference. If your going to make it a weekly class have everyone turn the motors in at the end of the night. Use whatever chaisis you have, just to keep cost down. and you have to use a nostalgia body( or whatever your class is).

As for thinking that people don't notice the bodies being raced, in stock class a couple of times I've used a 61 Impala done up as a cop car with flashing lights. The car got plenty of looks before the race and people were taking picutres,and the car drew a large crowd from the poeple that were there.

The track is Rampage Hobbies in Hyde Park, NY (near Poughkeepsie, a little more than an hour from the Throgs Neck Bridge). We race Saturday nights. Call the shop for more information, 845 229 1379. I am still working on bribing the management at Pro Speed Raceway in Middletown to let us run a similar class for the summer.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Bolink.com has some "classic" bodies on their website. I personnally don't know how they look up close, but I remember a 67 stingray, 69 chevelle, 69 torino talladega, and a bunch of others, they have a few 190mm and most are 200mm

Last edited by losi nut; 03-23-2007 at 04:00 PM.
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote