R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...hmentid=192199 I love these old Porches.........I would like to put one on my 960........
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #32
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go here.... http://www.kraftwerkz.net And you can buy a real one!

Well as real as you can get anyway....

I'm with you though, a 917 shell would be SWEET!

Last edited by tony gray; 01-06-2007 at 11:51 PM.
tony gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
We built a few vintage cars to race around at the track. I have a few personal thoughts. If you do it, it needs to be an older, everybody agrees on it, chassis. use motors and battery combinations that are so slow that it keeps people from ruining it. Like 4 cell stock, or what have you. So far, the few times we've run them, they've been a blast. You develop a "SAVE THE BODY" attitude when driving them. Finishing first is not always the goal. Looking good on the track with these cars, is the goal.

Awesome shells bob!!

We run a class over here called GT19. bodies used are 2 door GT type sports cars.
You see ferrari, porsche, astons and similar. Its cool to see real bodies being used and certainly has more of a wow factor with the crowds watching because they can relate to cars better than some wedge shaped rc race shell.
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's an observation. Tell me what you guys think.

Every once in a while a thread gets started about more realistic looking bodies. Usually gets a fairly decent response. Even Dale Epp of Protoform weighs in on occasion. (BTW, has anyone looked at the new ROAR rules for sedan bodies?)

Somewhere along the line the "racers" chime in, with comments like "these aren't models, they're race cars" and "those bodies don't handle."

Now, the racers are the guys at the track every week, sometimes twice. But the people who like the more scale bodies are more hobbyists than racers. They'll miss a race for a big football game or whatever. They're not interested in getting that last tenth out of their car. They race to have fun.

So every time this subject comes up, it appears more people don't want it because they're more vocal, and the guys who want scale bodies miss out on getting their opinions heard.

Anybody else see this?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony gray
Go here.... http://www.kraftwerkz.net And you can buy a real one!

Well as real as you can get anyway....

I'm with you though, a 917 shell would be SWEET!
---LMK917-005, delivered in 2003 was sold at the Barrett Jackson auction in Arizona recently.
It earned US$178,600 (with premium). Almost tripling its purchase price in 3 years. Surely a record for a replica sports car.---uuhhhhh, i'm a little short.........
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
Tech Master

[QUOTE=jiml]

Somewhere along the line the "racers" chime in, with comments like "these aren't models, they're race cars" and "those bodies don't handle."

[/QUOTE"those bodies don't handle??--- I would love it if at a major race some driver would run his "race" bodies and then run something like HPI'S 65 Mustang or the 69 Camaro body and see what the difference in lap times were. I bet it would be insignificant.........If new blood is wanted in the hobby, things need to be made interesting to outsiders. Potential new people probably look at the sedans and go "they all look the same." (ie Nascar) Performance can still be had while looking good. Look at the airplane hobby, those guys want their stuff to look as real as possible. Now our cars don't even have "drivers". Didn't ROAR at one time ( i maybe wrong) require all cars to have a driver figure?...........
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #37
Tech Adept

How would this revive onroad club racing?

Nobody cares that they are driving a '65 shelby that will not make racing more fun or exciting.

It's like you guys are ignoring the real problem with R/C racing.

Cost, Skill/Competition and Lack of local tracks.

12th scale is a very simple chassis but takes quite a bit of skill and money that scares people away.

The industry is headed in the right direction with low maintenance brushless systems with long running and easy to maintain lipo batteries.

forget the gimmicks
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Jiml, I read that post 5 times, Maybe on a club level, we shouldnt worry about bodys. If your slower cause you choose a slower body Oh well.
At our track on club nights were forced to run sedan. I say if your slower you have to get out of the way any how. Now I'm not saying run a three wheeler with a four wheeler but I love that kind Of thought challenge. So many times we cater to the spirited racer. And push the freespirited racer to the side, then he decides what the heck the game is fun to watch. Great post.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Taylorm,

I'm privledged enough to know or have known some very good drivers over the years. At that skill level drivers can feel the difference between 2 bodies. They can tell me exactly what to expect between a Parma Alfa body and a Protoform DNA body. Not that I'll notice the difference, but they will.

You're right about one thing, fast drivers are fast drivers. It doesn't matter what you give them. But those guys are all about going fast. They don't much care what the body looks like. If you forced them to run bodies that looked good but didn't handle as well, they wouldn't like it.

The airplane hobby is compeletey different from the RC car hobby. Yes there is a scale aspect to that hobby, but there is also a competition side. Aerobatic planes will take some liberty with pure scale for better performance.

Open cockpit bodies require a driver figure.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is a thought. We worked on this for the NERCAR club a while back. For a points series make the points based on several criteria:
1/3 points based on finish position.
1/3 points based on laps completed.
1/3 points bases on concourse competition.

Remove the win and place and replace it with looking good and running the distance.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #41
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Taylorm,

They can tell me exactly what to expect between a Parma Alfa body and a Protoform DNA body. Not that I'll notice the difference, but they will.
-i don't honestly believe there would be a difference between an Alfa and a DNA. These cars (TC) do not run fast enough to have a measureable difference in downforce/drag. Also, the cg of both of these bodies should be almost exactly the same. There may be a slight difference between the Alfa and the mentioned 65 Mustang HPI body, but not even 2/10ths on the same track..........
Old 01-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #42
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
-i don't honestly believe there would be a difference between an Alfa and a DNA. These cars (TC) do not run fast enough to have a measureable difference in downforce/drag. Also, the cg of both of these bodies should be almost exactly the same. There may be a slight difference between the Alfa and the mentioned 65 Mustang HPI body, but not even 2/10ths on the same track..........
Their is a huge difference between bodies, If you don't believe it, race a parma mustang or whatever muscle car body and see how bad your car works..then change bodies and see how much better it works.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #43
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
THe laptime does not come from drag as much as feel for the driver. If you do not believe this just do the experiment you just mentioned. You will FEEL a huge difference between the alfa and a mustang. The aero balance is the chief effect.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #44
Tech Lord

jmil I'm seeing it. All ready its becoming a performance thread. Hmmmm. Later fellas. I would deffinitly read jiml's post some more he's on it. I would do an excibition with my FK05 during resort. With those bodies, totally cool, that would show seriuos passion for the hobby. And not just the racing aspect.
Ahh what do I know you all are probably seeing some thing I dont, read ya later. Burn off's in the staight, -0 MODIFIED Slow cool, down lap to the straght, And black mark's again, just to show it off. Just my 2.

Sounds like fun I'm getting one of those mustang or camero bodies, Muscle baby.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Here's an observation. Tell me what you guys think.

Every once in a while a thread gets started about more realistic looking bodies. Usually gets a fairly decent response. Even Dale Epp of Protoform weighs in on occasion. (BTW, has anyone looked at the new ROAR rules for sedan bodies?)

Now, the racers are the guys at the track every week, sometimes twice. But the people who like the more scale bodies are more hobbyists than racers. They'll miss a race for a big football game or whatever. They're not interested in getting that last tenth out of their car. They race to have fun.

So every time this subject comes up, it appears more people don't want it because they're more vocal, and the guys who want scale bodies miss out on getting their opinions heard.

Anybody else see this?
Heres my observation, When racers figure out that their not fast enough to be one of the top guys they "switch" to "I'm in this for the fun of it" mode...Like I do...