R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Default HPI Vintage

The HPI Vintage series has been doing really well and we intend to continue to expand the line. We did a one off Mustang race at So Cal once (65 Shelby, 66GT, 19T, vintage wheels and tires etc) and that was pretty fun.

The plan was to have Mustang vs. Camaro vs. Cuda etc in the future...

The licensing issue does come into play as some manufacturerers are easier to work with than others.

For 07 we're planning on bringing back some HPI Challenge races and hopefully include some special classes (...body type/period specific etc)

andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We built a few vintage cars to race around at the track. I have a few personal thoughts. If you do it, it needs to be an older, everybody agrees on it, chassis. use motors and battery combinations that are so slow that it keeps people from ruining it. Like 4 cell stock, or what have you. So far, the few times we've run them, they've been a blast. You develop a "SAVE THE BODY" attitude when driving them. Finishing first is not always the goal. Looking good on the track with these cars, is the goal.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Bob: Mr. Blacks class does exsist. I didnt think it was possible but you proved it to me. Thanks. This is the class. Who would scratch those? Totally cool.

X

Ps. Show boater.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Thought I'd mention those 2 vintage cars are on the original Xray t1 chassis. Don't need a current car to be cool in a vintage class.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #20
Tech Elite

justin, one of your local tracks, tried to get a f103gt class going, we even talked about running the mustang and camaro bodies on them. many bought them but for some reason it died just as fast, many more bought the group c cars from tamiya, it also died very fast, point is, if no one shows up to run the class it will die. the track still has some very cool group c bodies that people wanted and then no one bought. come to the track, take the lead, and get the class going again. btw, you need to see the "new" improved track. no more tire chunking with the foam tires. and theres plenty of help around to help you get your stuff setup. and the best way to revive club racing.........show up.

Last edited by Turtlemaster; 01-05-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A chassis everyone agrees on? When has anyone ever agreed on anything?

Those bodies do look cool.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6
See attached photo for their class structure simple (GT1), 'run what you brung' 4wd TC (GT2), to more advanced (P1 & P2).
You could have a class where everyone runs a spec porsche body, spec tire to fit the track, and any locked endbell 19t motor. Everyone has the same tires, same aero. People that want to paint them up like scale cars can, and those that want to do custom paint jobs could too. I would be all over that class. You could run point series and maybe even set permanent car numbers for the series.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
Tech Lord

I'll add this, the key to Mr. Blacks class is that poeple just turn laps, and to draw an admiration, a want to have an R/C desire. Not an R/C desire to compete. The compitition come on its own or it doesnt. A class to show boat the coolness, Is a class you come down from the stand shaking hands and telling all the look see'ers how they can get started modleing 1st. So many times all look see'ers see is an upset from a marshall not getting there quick enough on a T/Q run, or someone stomping cause they over geared and melted trying to go faster. A class that is truely just to show boat is the only way to make a class like Mr. Blacks. And that could be any model that you just want to show off. Horsing around doing burn offs in ths straight. And so and so. Just rambling, I'ts easier to just define it your selves. I think everyone can get what I'm trying to say.

X
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Take the time in your venues to have a show boat class, and get poeple into R/C not racing. But into the fun exsibition class, even if its offered half price.

X

Corrected post.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-05-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Interesting topic.

New classes are hard to start, when giving people and inch they take a mile and you find your fledgling class gets killed due to unfair advantage or perceived advantage. One thing that bugs me is we have a local GT3 class with mabuchi motors. The great thing is it is open to any sedan, the poor thing is they also allow F103 GTP cars. So far it seems to work ok but you wonder how long it would last, especially if the better drivers buy F103s. Many people don't understand the advantage between cars, really F103s should be its own class. So far some guys seem to bounce between chassis and the ones who run F103s have not found the magic setup, yet. . .

Early the past summer I decided to carry over my TCS experience and run GT3 all summer with my sedans. When I killed the field racing it I decided not to run it anymore because I did not want to turn people away from running the class and eventually kill it. The next race I ran stock and had people who ran GT3 tell me run it anyway. I was told people wanted me as a bench mark (target) to beat in the class. I did and it did not seem to really hurt attendance. Not trying to toot my horn but I think when you see your ability is beyond those who race the class, you need to be an adult and do another class.

Its like factory guys who insist on racing stock when they should be promoting 19t or mod. I know that killed my stock pan-car oval experience.

Would love to do a vintage class. Perhaps have it with old chassis only like ones you can regularly buy on Ebay for $200 or less that should be a list easy enough to generate. I have a few chassis sitting around to fit that kind of catagory.

oh well, happy racing to all! ! !
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Default Chassis....

...the main thing should be a class that requires the least amount of new investment. I have and F103GT so it's not that I have something againts them so bla bla bla (...and yes I do like the cars in real life and yes a full field of LMP/GTP RC racers would be awesome but..... ).

The majority of people already have some kind of 4wd touring chassis, so that would probably be the past of least resistance. Also as fun as F103s' are, they are 2wd, which requires a tad bit more skill involved (ie. a beginner has enough difficulties keeping a 4wd TC looking good so...).

For starters, a non "regular TC" (ie. Mazda 6, Stratus, etc...), non dish wheel class would cool. In regards to GTP or LMP bodies, unfortunately most of today's TC's shock tower heights are too tall to run low profile (even some GT) bodies (ie. Cyclone, Pro4 etc. are too tall to run HPI NSX body).

Last edited by andyh; 01-05-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/h/hpic7435.jpg

Does anyone make this type of body in 190mm?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh
...the main thing should be a class that requires the least amount of new investment. I have and F103GT so it's not that I have something againts them so bla bla bla (...and yes I do like the cars in real life and yes a full field of LMP/GTP RC racers would be awesome but..... ).

The majority of people already have some kind of 4wd touring chassis, so that would probably be the past of least resistance. Also as fun as F103s' are, they are 2wd, which requires a tad bit more skill involved (ie. a beginner has enough difficulties keeping a 4wd TC looking good so...).

For starters, a non "regular TC" (ie. Mazda 6, Stratus, etc...), non dish wheel class would cool. In regards to GTP or LMP bodies, unfortunately most of today's TC's shock tower heights are too tall to run low profile (even some GT) bodies (ie. Cyclone, Pro4 etc. are too tall to run HPI NSX body).

If you go to the ASERS website or the class description picture I posted, you'll see they have a GT2 class for 2wd chassis (F103GT) and then the GT1 class for 4wd touring car chassis'. Like real sports car racing, GT1 and GT2 are on the track together, but GT1s only compete against GT1s, same with GT2s.

Maybe that's a good compromise: 2wd = GT2 (even though it is probably faster than 4wd in skilled hands), 4wd = GT1. It doesn't force anyone to go out and buy another chassis, it promotes a lot of cars on the track since GT1 and GT2 race together.

I have absolutely no involvement with ASERS, but it sure looks like they put a nice recipe together. If the ASERS class structure became a standard at least across the US, I think that would be awesome.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #29
Tech Elite

I'll add that making a vintage class work will only work in your area with your racers. So don't rely on others to make your rules for your area. Be creative and adaptive. Make it fit your area. Only your racers will know the best for them. Especially as it relates to unusual and different classes.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Default 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtonlosi
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/h/hpic7435.jpg

Does anyone make this type of body in 190mm?
Tamiya probably does. Although a 200mm on an elctric (190mm chassis) body with 3-6mm or more offset wheels looks cool also.

We sometimes do that in order to show off some 3-6mm offset wheels.
I believe everyone else also makes offset wheels.