Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System >

Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Old 07-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just wondering if anyone with a SS Brushless noticed the motor is a little noisy until about half throttle and then it goes super smooth and Quiet after that???

BTW... Very happy with the system so far.. Awesome acceleration.

Will post some more Info after I have had a chance to put a few packs through it...

In the meantime can anyone give me some feedback on the motor noise as referred to above..

Thanks
Steevo
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

The "noises" are usually related to the bearings. Sometimes they will go away as the bearings get some use, othertimes the motor just makes funny noises. As far as I can tell, there is very little effect on the performance. The motors never really make noise installed in the car, it's usually just when they are "free spun" with no load.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 07-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Charlie,
The noise does seem to be normal as my brother Just got his SS today and it does the same thing....

After one pack through mine I have to say that the SS brushless system when geared at the recommended FDR of 7.3:1 is very close to the claimed power of a well tuned hand wound 10Turn Mod. The thing simply screams and I am more than Impressed with it so far.

The power delivery is pretty smooth but not quite as smooth as a good ESC for a brushed motor. I have not noticed any cogging effect and the torque is simply amazing off the line.

Steevo
Old 07-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hello Charlie,
I am sorry to bombard you with so many Questions but can you please advise me on the following.

In sport mode (program #5 and #6) the motor seems to pulsate like its bouncing off the rev limiter or something. I assume this is normal because my brothers system and mine both do the same.

What seems to be a bit odd is that on my brothers system in sport mode when the throttle is applied slowly and smoothly the RPM seems fairly tame like mine does. But it revs much higher if he pushes the throttle to full speed quickly. There is a definate difference in the RPM when the throttle is applied in a different manner.

Have you experienced this with other systems?? Is there a fault that needs sorting out?

Please let me know

Steevo
Old 07-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default novak ss bl

Just want to share with everyone that I have installed the Novak BL SS system unto my XRAY T1 Evo2 with the following:

1700 NICD saddle pack
89/30 spur/pinion
rubber slicks

I ran it today on my street & it was crazy fast. A lot of torque on take off and picks up lots of speed on full throttle.

I also installed the BL system on my Kawada SV10 w/ 88/22 gearing and it was also fast. Although by belt could not handle the torque on take off. it kept slipping. maybe i just need to replace the belt.

Overall, on both cars I was only running 1700 NICD batteries and they were very fast. Very happy with the system. Worth the $250 spent on it. Highly recommended system.

On a side note, I drag raced my friend's tc3 w/ a 6 turn motor and although he beat me a little bit, his motor got fried and mine is still flying. he, he, he...
Old 07-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Steevo
Hello Charlie,
I am sorry to bombard you with so many Questions but can you please advise me on the following.

In sport mode (program #5 and #6) the motor seems to pulsate like its bouncing off the rev limiter or something. I assume this is normal because my brothers system and mine both do the same.

What seems to be a bit odd is that on my brothers system in sport mode when the throttle is applied slowly and smoothly the RPM seems fairly tame like mine does. But it revs much higher if he pushes the throttle to full speed quickly. There is a definate difference in the RPM when the throttle is applied in a different manner.

Have you experienced this with other systems?? Is there a fault that needs sorting out?

Please let me know

Steevo
UPDATE>>>>

All seems good with Me and My brothers SS Brushless Systems.

Although when bench tested his does seem to rev higher at full throttle when the throttle is punched compared to if it is squeezed slowly
On the track though they seem to be the same in the limited profiles.

One thing I thought worth a mention is that when I first got my Brushless I had a straight line drag with my brother who had a Brand New, (2 runs on it ), 8Turn D5 Flatliner in his Xray. The brushless in Unlimited RPM mode fitted in my TB Evo II was a pretty good match for him torque wise and had a slight but convincing advantage by the end of the straight.
The next day my brother had his brushless on order

I thought I'd better add that I'm using 3300Mah Matched Cells and my brother is using 3000mAh unmatched cells which does make a bit of a difference

Steevo
Old 07-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

I love my Novak BL, my buddy has a 10x2 flatliner and were pretty well matched for the first 5-7 minutes then he starts slowing down while my BL has got a lot of power left, i love it!!! GREAT runtimes, GREAT speed, GREAT torque, NO maintenance!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:47 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Wow... if you break your Novak SS, its only $79 for a complete swapover or $49 if its only the ESC that's broken.

Gotta say that's the Ultimate Peace of Mind there is!!

Love the ORANGE!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:51 PM
WC
Tech Master

Default Freeplay in motor shaft...

Ok, my SS kit has (finally) landed.

Everything looks OK, except... the motor's shaft has quite a bit of play, it can go in/out by over 2mm.

Has anyone tried putting shimms inside?

Worth it or don't bother?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: Freeplay in motor shaft...

Originally posted by WC
Ok, my SS kit has (finally) landed.

Everything looks OK, except... the motor's shaft has quite a bit of play, it can go in/out by over 2mm.

Has anyone tried putting shimms inside?

Worth it or don't bother?
just add shims to reduce the play.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:58 PM
WC
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Freeplay in motor shaft...

Originally posted by MDawson
just add shims to reduce the play.
Ok, will give that a thought.

Although on this SS5800... the arm doesn't self-centre in the field.

That'll make working out the shimming a little more bother.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Personally I would not shimm the shaft. I have 2 SS Brushless systems and I have not shimmed either. The shaft play is normal with all the SS systems from what I know..
If you still are not convinced email Charlie at Novak and ask him what he recommends. I am happy with my systems as they are..
Old 07-24-2003, 10:21 PM
WC
Tech Master

Charlie's responses to past queries have been wonderful, and
that's the major reason I'm sticking with Orange.

Not particularly concerned with the 2mm play under normal usage,
but was thinking about those skinny thin Robinson spurs... 2mm
movement might be enough to slip the pinion off the spur.

Have so far resisted pulling the motor apart...
(how much longer I can resist, I dunno)
Will need to shorten the wires though, there's miles too much.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:00 AM
The Evicerator

To the Top
Old 07-30-2003, 09:31 AM
The Evicerator

To the Top

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.