Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Wyd, I knew you would. See that you've gone back to your BMI TC3. I don't know how you can keep up with a different chassis every other month ? Somehow you do since you are still one of the fast guys. Your speedway pal chassis R2 is still on the shelf(might put that up on sale. hint..hint.). Anyway, you are welcome to drive your ex-Cuda's anytime man. Maybe at the next Trinity ORL race ??
Originally posted by wyd
WHere do you race sprint car at?

RCMonk I miss my Cuda's!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 09:02 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thanks RCMonk. I will see you at the next ORL race at Trains & Lanes if everything goes as planned. The BMI TC3 is one I use to have and bought back from a buddy who never ran it. It is pretty much already setup and works great. I do go thru some cars but they all seem to work in their own way. Setups work for almost any car as long as you know what the adjustments do in theory all the cars work the same way.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

So how did things go this weekend Gaz or Jimmy?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

6 Cudas in total, 4 in stock, 2 in super stock. Jimmy placed 3rd overall just behind two of the really fast local drivers in 19T. In stock we got 2 in the A, should have been 3...dont ask!! 1 in the B and another in the C ( but he was ill and had to go home early)
So a pretty good weekend, and more interest in the cars.

Personally, I had a mixed weekend, grip roll in first 2 rounds finally got it together in round 3 only to be unceramoniously( ) removed from the track by a soon to be Cuda driver (wont be sending many tips his direction now). So my solid A slot disolved and ended up 9th in the B

Speed of the car was good, showed in the finals, 3rd in the first after becoming part of someone elses crash in the early stages demoting me to last. Won the second final quite easily giving me 1st overall in the B.

The only rain all day somewhat made a lottery of the first A final so no real chance for the Cudas to shine with non waterproof speedos fitted. Good move to take the car off before something went bang.

Cars were certainly on the pace all weekend though.

Sorry Dave no pics.... will Pm the rest
Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Hmm, sounds like they should of borrowed a nice Cirrus speedo for the final

Must of been nice clean tarmac to get grip roll, never had it anywhere I race outdoors.

B final.... tut tut Gaz, atleast you made it up by getting the win

Did you guys find any magic setups?

What tyre/insirt combo do you tend to go for, I usualy just stick with premounted take offs but often think the medium insirt is too soft.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

WELL DONE ALL YOU UK RACERS THEN

Gazza_D

You able to share your new found set-up know how with the rest of us ??!?!?!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by RcMonk
Where do you race carpet pumpkinfish ? I notice you are in Collegeville. I sometimes race at DC Ultra and Limerick.
Bad news...Limerick has shut down. No word on where Barry will be moving. It had something to do with the property and the bank wanting to go in another direction with the property. A shame since I live about 10 minutes from there.

I guess my only place will be at DC Ultra. The only drawback for me is having to drive about 40 minutes and getting done late at night.

wyd, I race dirt oval up in Quakertown at Ray's Place. Awesome group of guys up there and very helpful. I learned a lot about car setup from them this summer. Hopefully I can take that and get my Cuda dialed in this winter!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Gazza_D

Sorry Dave no pics.... will Pm the rest

OK then
Old 08-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Set up for my R2 was pretty much as I usually run.....

I used CS27 on a hard standard 24mm wheel with Take off Med inserts.

shock oil 40 wt front and back with short shock bodies and yoke bladder caps front and back. Rayspeed yellow springs up front with blues on the rear. Outer hole top and bottom at the front with outer hole bottom and middle hole top on the rear. 1.0 mm anti roll bars front and rear. Long span arms all round.
5 degree caster, -2 camber, one way diff. 0.8mm spacer for kick up. 0.5 degrees toe out up front. Set droop to 5 on Hudy gauge.
2.5 degree toe in, -2 camber on the rear, droop set to 4.

Demon Monster on 5.773 (90 spur, 38 pinion, 64 dp)

Oh and 135g lead weight to bring the car up to 1502 with shell

Used the Chevron G350GT shell but it gave too much grip, changed to a Vectra which was much better.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Some of you guys might be interested in this. You guys not in the US PM me and we can work something out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=47913
Old 08-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by Gazza_D
Set up for my R2 was pretty much as I usually run.....

I used CS27 on a hard standard 24mm wheel with Take off Med inserts.

Oh and 135g lead weight to bring the car up to 1502 with shell

i didnt know that a cuda was so light!!!! do you know if the R3 is just as light as an R2? here in Aust, most people who run rubbers find it hard to even break back into 1500s!!! most are around 1600+ and that's with yokomos, tc3, etc. cant wait to get my hands on one now
Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by poop
i didnt know that a cuda was so light!!!! do you know if the R3 is just as light as an R2? here in Aust, most people who run rubbers find it hard to even break back into 1500s!!! most are around 1600+ and that's with yokomos, tc3, etc. cant wait to get my hands on one now
Ran my R3 last weekend with 55g of lead in
No Titanium, pure stock cuda ...
KoProPo 2123 servo, Cirrus ESC, and KoProPo micro reciver.. ohh and Fukuyama Mako stock motor.

If you run mod you proberly don't need to add so much weigh to to the car ..

All Cuda drivers here run rubber and need to add weight to the car regardless of shell and equipment
Old 08-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Gaz's Cuda certainly seems very light, even by Cuda standards.
19turn motors seem to weigh quite a bit more than a 27T stock motor so there's some weight saving over mine...
Your shell must have nice light coats of paint, my pretty Alfa has been well protected with backing coats
I take it you're running plastic hubs, atleast up front, maybe a bit of weight saving there.
Other than that our electronics are pretty much the same, if anything my reciever may be a touch lighter.
I must have lead in my tyres, I've still only got about 30 grams of weight in my car maybe a bit more. Yet you've got the X-Ray strap to add wieght, I've just got tape. I suppose the plastic chassis protector I have stuck on weighs a bit, but it sure has saved the chassis this summer (apart from the rear edge )
Although indoors for stock racing on wooden floors I did have the ballast up to around 80 grams to just scrape the limit That was when I had a heavier servo too.

135grams though, sheesh, I hope some of it's down to the common dodgy scales everyone seems to have (breath on the car or put it 1cm to one side and the weight will change by 30grams sometimes ) Where on earth did you put it all? I had trouble with 80g, the next step would of been the top deck
Old 08-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Its easy to get the car nice and light, especially when I was running the standard web chassis/ top deck not the thicker Pal chassis. yes paint not thickly sprayed on or backed.
Drive train.....well you wont get lighter, alloy bones, ti axles, pal drive shaft, ti pinion, lightweight spur
futaba 9550 servo, Cirrus speedo, KO 302 rxer

It all adds up to one heck of a weight saving overall.

Once you have the car balanced front/back and left/ right as you like it the rest of the weight sits along the centreline under the centre shaft.....nice and low

Could struggle if I were to go and run foams, space for more weight at a premium now.

Oh and scales were the official BRCA scales, purchased just for the national series a couple of months ago...so probably pretty accurate

A couple of grammes here a couple there, you should try it..... if you need accelleration and top speed, take off all the weight and see how it flies

Can do it for club rounds...but whats the point
Old 08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Atleast your scales were accurate, up here you never know what you're going to get, I've had a car change by 40 grams from one weekends event to the other when there's the same everything on it

Why did you use the standard chassis?
That must be a fair portion of the weight saving, that and the shell I suspect are the biggest differences.
Did you need a bit more flex? or just not want to scrape the PAL one?

Were you bothering with a cooling fan? I really should get a 5v one, the 12v I have is only useful for cooling the motor before and after a run

I always keep whatever weights are on my car for club racing, no point in changing the balance and overall weight, best to have the car consistant.
I usualy have 20 grams between the steering posts, 20 grams under the drive shaft, next to the speedo and reciever, then add 5 gram stick on weights when needed into the smaller gaps around the big weights.

BTW, I'm waffling on today because I'm EXTREMELY bored Stuck at home because last night some toe rag stole the car I use it's been recovered with just damage to the locks but the darn car has been nothing but bad luck for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.