Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3 >

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Old 09-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ko Racer
hey dave did anyone run the pal chassis at the big event?
Yep PAL`s Works driver Atsushi did but he was running a variation of the PAL short arm conversion...I forget were he placed but ..his car was on rails!!! ..I think that he might have dumped heis batts a few times and didn`t finish...
-Dave
Old 09-18-2003, 02:25 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Yep PAL`s Works driver Atsushi did but he was running a variation of the PAL short arm conversion...I forget were he placed but ..his car was on rails!!! ..I think that he might have dumped heis batts a few times and didn`t finish...
-Dave

Thanks for the info dave. dumping batt's will do it all the time to you
Old 09-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Ko Racer
Thanks for the info dave. dumping batt's will do it all the time to you
no problem
Old 09-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default motor heatsink and pinion suggestions

Does anyone know where I could find a blue motor heatsink that will fit on my Barracuda R2?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what size pinion I should start with - I'm using the stock spur gear and running a SpeedGems 13T double.

I saw someone get flamed before on this thread when they asked a similar question - so let me just say, yes, I know the final gear ratios - they are in the manual after all. But how does knowing the gear ratios help me determine what pinion/spur combo to use? The first thing I tried was a final gear ratio that was close to what my TC3 had (ie. I used a 22 tooth pinion), but that did not seem right.

Thanks,
zgeist
Old 09-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: motor heatsink and pinion suggestions

Originally posted by zgeist
Does anyone know where I could find a blue motor heatsink that will fit on my Barracuda R2?

Thanks,
zgeist
Like the ones for the TC3?...if so... the smaller one fit and the ones by Tamiya for the EVO's fit fine. I like the Evo's better...
Old 09-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Originally posted by Herminator
You'd have a big problem getting sensible ride height at the front whilst trying to get any travel in the shocks if you used long shock bodies up front too. It's bad enough at the back, using the inner mounting positions means you get little to no shock compression.

The best 3mm chassis are those from Xenon and Speedway PAL, if you "need" the chassis to be 3mm then this is the best option. There are other chassis' availble from companies such as FLAP but I don't think they are 3mm, and they don't have the milling in the chassis to get the bulkheads, etc. to the original height. You can always use the stock drivetrain on the Xenon/PAL chassis but you'd have to use the original top deck.

Herminator,

So are you using the stock set up (short shocks up front & long at the rear)? any suggestions with this problem?
Old 09-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: motor heatsink and pinion suggestions

Originally posted by zgeist
Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what size pinion I should start with - I'm using the stock spur gear and running a SpeedGems 13T double.

I saw someone get flamed before on this thread when they asked a similar question - so let me just say, yes, I know the final gear ratios - they are in the manual after all. But how does knowing the gear ratios help me determine what pinion/spur combo to use? The first thing I tried was a final gear ratio that was close to what my TC3 had (ie. I used a 22 tooth pinion), but that did not seem right.

Thanks,
zgeist
Well, just because they have the same spur size does not mean they are the same. The internal ratios are different for each car. The TC3 has a ration or vs. 2.43 for the R2.

In your case, the TC3 had a rollout of 8.18 with the 22t pinion. To get the same rollout with the R2, you would have to use a 21t pinion for a 8.33 rollout or 70t/21t for 8.1.

BTW, we don't flame people for asking a question. We flame 'em only if they ask the same question 2-3 times after the answer has been give. Then you have those coughcoughtradercough types. LOL!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Originally posted by Shark
Herminator,

So are you using the stock set up (short shocks up front & long at the rear)? any suggestions with this problem?
the short shock body in the rear is a better way to go..... "I recommend this for any one that has a R2" !

-Dave
Old 09-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
the short shock body in the rear is a better way to go..... "I recommend this for any one that has a R2" !

-Dave
so. .. short shock bodies on all 4's ? and not long fronts and short rears?
Old 09-18-2003, 05:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Dave - YGPM
Old 09-18-2003, 05:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Originally posted by rc-zombies
so. .. short shock bodies on all 4's ? and not long fronts and short rears?
Short bodies in the rear will give the car more down travel, I'd do this mod...
Old 09-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Cuda owner question

Originally posted by Randman
Short bodies in the rear will give the car more down travel, I'd do this mod...
now the hard part is getting short body shocks in Orange
Old 09-18-2003, 07:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Steve should be able to special order them for you...
Old 09-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default motor heatsink for barracuda

Thanks rc-zombie! Tamiya was the clue I needed - I had seen pictures of the blue heat sink I was looking for but didn't know who made it. Per your suggestion I went looking for pictures of Tamiya heat sinks and I think I found the one I want.

Thanks for the hint!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default clarification of pinion question

I posted a pinion question earlier, and Headbanger valiantly tried to answer my question, but I don't think I was very clear. So, I'm going to try again w/ more details.

I have a Barracuda R2 (just got it) and I'm trying to figure out what pinion I should use. I'm running a Speed Gems 13T double motor and a 72 tooth spur.

I have a TC3 with the same motor, 72 tooth spur, and 23 tooth pinion (my earlier post mistakenly said 22). This is the recommended setup in the manual and I think it runs very well. Fairly hot at the end of a race, but very fast.

In attempting to find the right pinion to use with my R2 I tried to get a gear ratio that was close to my ratio w/ the TC3. A TC3 w/ 23 pinion, 72 spur and internal ratio of 2.5 has an Overall Ratio of 7.83. A 'Cuda's internal ratio is 2.44 (or I've read 2.43), so with a 22 tooth pinion and 72 tooth spur the overal ratio would be 7.98 -which I thought was close. But when I tried this out everything got very hot and I don't think it was as fast as my TC3.

I read somewhere in these forums that one cuda driver used a final ratio of close to 7.02 - which would mean a larger pinion. But someone at a local hobby shop says the cuda should use a smaller pinion than the TC3. So I'm confused. I know the ratios - but how do I know which ratio to use? Is there some scientific way of determining the best pinion to use??? Or, if it's really just trial and error, what pinion size would you guys suggest for a cuda w/ a 72 spur and a 13T motor???

Sorry this question is long winded.
zgeist

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.