Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 3PDF owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 04:15 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Post Futaba 3PDF owners

I want to know whats the use of the TH EXP on electric RC's. It says there in the manual that the servo sensitivity will adjust according to your set up. Well we dont have TH servo if we used ESC don't we? Same with TH ATL, you can adjust the (brake) servo travel by moving the lever left or right. Again we dont have TH servo.

Now how bout that 3rd channel? I dont understand if it has any use for me or none.

Insights and tips pls. on this Radio...

Thanks
Old 11-14-2001, 07:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ThL expo can be used in electric to smooth out the throttle curve if your say racing on a slick surface with a car that likes to spin out. If your speedo has a current limiter, then you can do the same thing with that.

The ThL ATL is pretty much all gas application. There isn't much use for it in electric.

The 3rd channel. Its basically of the same use that it is on the 3PJS, M8, R1, Lynx 3D, and all other top level radios. You probably wont use it, but if you leave it off then your radio has fewer features than the competitors. So you have to put it on there.

Also, if you have a T/E Maxx, then you could use the third channel for those trucks.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkside
The ThL ATL is pretty much all gas application. There isn't much use for it in electric.
I use the throttle ATL in electrics to adjust the amount of braking I get to suit track conditions. I turn it all the way up, calibrate the speed control, then turn it down until the braking feels just right.

Trips
Old 11-14-2001, 02:09 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I dont remember what the name is but is like TH EXP or ATL...sumthing like....it could control the speed...

it goes up to a max of 120....
Old 11-17-2001, 02:57 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default I think that would be

the TH ATV...

Now question for the batts...

I used regular AA batts and it only last for about an hour...10 mins here...then 15 mins there...and so on...now my batts are only 8.7 volts and #PDF is beeping like crazy....but when I use the same bats on my 2PCKA it last for about 3 hours...

You mean 3PDF consume 3 times more than the 2PCKA? How bout using an Alkaline? Or 600mah Sanyo Nimh? Can I used my regular Nicd charger for my Nimh? My Nicd charger charges at 45 ma fo 15-16hrs and 150 ma for 7-8 hours...

How bout the charger jack on the 3PDF? What is it for? Can I charge my NImh there? What do I need?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2001, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Dude, i would recommend u get the newer 1600mAh AA cells (or higher capacity if there is), my 3pdf also drains cells like no tommorrow. I generally get at 40-45 mins with the 600mAh nicads.

Indeed my friend's megatech racer does not drain the batteries that bad. Can last at least several hours.

I guess these are the trade offs, digital calibration and the lcd panel, memory etc.

I usually charge my transmitter battery @ what, 1A on my usual battery charger (Eagle CDC), takes about 45 mins.

Haven't tried the jack yet; since I need to take out the batteries from the tray & put 'em in yet another tray to charge.

EDIT: Throttle Expo, good for slick conditions as darkside mentions. I also use negative expo for easier control of the car when I run mod motor. Positive expo seems to give more punc, occasionally I use it with my stock motors but usually I leave it at 0.

Throttle ATV, pretty important imho when using one-way, must adjust to just enough so the car won't spin out when preparing for entry into a corner. Ok so I'm a newbie I need to brake

HTHs.

Alvin

Last edited by Alvin; 11-17-2001 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2001, 05:19 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default I dunno why

but the batts here are all 600mah...and they cost about $5 pair...

Now I asked this all around the forums...can I charge those nimh on my nicds charger? It charges at 45ma and 150ma...

Thanks
Old 11-17-2001, 06:41 AM
Regional Moderator

zxt: I used the TX pack that was meant for the 3PDF. I sometimes go for three weekend races without charging it and it barely makes it down to 9.5v! Heres the specs off the label of my pack.

part no.: Futaba NT-8JY
capacity: 9.6VDC-500mah
charging: 50mA-15hours
Quick charge:150mA-5hours.
Ni-Cd

Those number come straight off the pack I use. I use a wall charger that plugs into the 3PDF charging jack and thats how I charge the pack up. I think the highest it will get the 3PDF to is 11.4v, but thats still plenty of power.

And like I said, it can provide three straight weekends of racing before it has to be recharged. I just take the wall charger to the track with me and keep it plugged in, that way its always nice and fresh.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:30 AM
zxt
Tech Regular

Default how much?

okay I'll try to look them up at tower...hope my LHS here has them and I hope too that they're not 25 percent higher than tower...bec...most of their electronics are...
Old 11-17-2001, 09:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Sorry, I bought this pack when I first got my 3PDF. And that was when the 3PDF first came out.(which was a long time ago!) So the price of the Tx pack has faded from my memory.

I bought it from my local shop and the price on it wasn't too high. I know, because if it were, I would have never bought it!

In any case its worth the cost.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:54 AM
TFR
Tech Master

about the TH ATV...

I thought this control how fast it is...like usually, i set it at 120...

if i set it at 100 or lower, it is slower???

How come alvin said is to control spin out?
Old 11-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Regional Moderator

I keep TH ATV set at 100. From what I understood, moving it up to 120 simply gives the throttle a longer throw range, which in turn smooths out throttle response.

This was my understanding after reading the manual.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:28 AM
TFR
Tech Master

but when you put it like at 50....

is it slower??

mine is...
Old 11-17-2001, 11:13 AM
Regional Moderator

I don't know what you mean by "is it slower".

Is what slower? The car? The throttle response? What?
Old 11-17-2001, 11:53 AM
TFR
Tech Master

opps, the car speed...

sorrie..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.