Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Brushed or Brushless? >

Brushed or Brushless?

Brushed or Brushless?

Old 03-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

So Coxy,
What system are you running...And where did you get it??

Steevo
Old 03-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Steevo
So Coxy,
What system are you running...And where did you get it??

Steevo
I am running a hacker system. Get a price from George from Hobby Town in Sydney 02 9896 3277.

Much Much faster than the Novak by far. It's over the counter speed that you just can't get from Bushed and keep that kind of pace without a lot of knowledge. Also the punch that these things have if very scary. Throw away thoses 64 pitch gears LOL.

Coxy.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does the Hacker suffer from cogging?? Also what is the equivalent brushed motor to your hacker??

Steevo
Old 03-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default brushless for sale ...whoops!

Salutations earthlings!
i apologize!apparently, no for sales ads in here.
but IF anyone is interested, do let me know.
btw, has anyone tried schulze controllers?
they even have a new controller that can control BOTH brushed AND brushless motors!
but is way up there on the price scale.....
if anyone has used it...do let me know what you think.
-FP
Old 03-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Steevo
Does the Hacker suffer from cogging?? Also what is the equivalent brushed motor to your hacker??

Steevo
The comp speedy has no cogging. Have you read my acticle in racing lines about it, if not, buy it and read it, it has all the answers in the mag.

Coxy.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Last edited by Cube; 12-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Default new schultze

they even have a new controller that can control BOTH brushed AND brushless motors!
I just saw that one at their website today
That must be a good move to get BL into the "racing-scene". About the price though, it says 286 euros for the one that handles the most A`s. Look at the price of the 12.97 : 335e.. At finedesign though, the price of the 12.97 is 286$. So I guess the new one will be cheaper But it doesn`t handle as many A`s though.. At the site they also said this "No noticable difference in the startup of 2- and 3-phase motors"
Old 09-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well...I went digging and found this fossil of a thread but I think it might be a good time to revive it.
There are those who would make the comment that Brushless has no future or , at best, a limited future.
Now that brushless systems are coming out and upgrades are being made as we speak, What's YOUR opinion on brushless and where do you think it's going????
I for one strongly believe in the brushless movement. Less overall cost, more overall performance and less frustration, especially for newer drivers.
Like at least one magazine quoted " The future of electric racing?....You bet" (r/c car. June 2003)
Old 09-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

evo i am not saying that there is no place for brushless but for competition purpose
the racers will always want adjustability and tunability. right now i bet if we were both to go and buy each a brushless motor and all the parimeters chassis tuning tire were similar i am sure one motor will be faster than the other now i'll need to find the edge and go and buy another motor and so on until i find one the is faster so at the end i amd still spending money to go fast. look for play were compition doesnt matter its cool
as far as a brushed motor if you get a slow one you can tune it and posibly make the motor a top contender.
as far as racing it will be a long time before they'll be accepted they need to get the tolerances between motors closer so that one motor doesnt make more power than another.
i am old enough to remember when they introduced cobolt magnete motors ooohh they were the rage and look they were out lawed by roar and where are they now ! being used by boat people.
someday the brushless motor will find a home. right now if you take 100 racers and ask them which one woulod they want and only 5 to 8 would say brushless and those people are usually the beginers or the people that always cry about the factory guys are fast and even if every body raced brusless they would still cry because they are faster then what ! they'll find something else to say ! dude its a great hobby motor for some one that wants to play ive been considering on for a monster truck i want to get to play on some dirt mounds around my house see iam not totally against them.
note dude this is just my opinion and not forcing others to see it my way its not crap just like your isnt either. i respect everyone elses opinion aswell and their isnt crap either niether is mine.
enjoy you brushless motor as i will in my monster truck.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think you're putting way to much emphasis on the motor as a method of winning races !!! Lets face it...unless a driver can take advantage of the power in the motor, even if that motor were gobs more powerful than other drivers, he's still gonna lose !! And if your argument were true, then why do we even bother with stock classes or spec mod(19t)?? Do you really think that every one of those motors is exactly alike?? When your argument rests on the "tolerences" of each motor......we're talking miniscule differences!!!!!! Especially in a brushless motor!! Tunability, adjustibility?? for who...the small percentage of people driving the hot mod motors. Ok...... if brushless motors never reach the performance level of an 8t....then let the mod drivers run their brushed motors all they want. But the likelihood is that Brushless will surpass the performance of ANY brushed motor in the very near future. Remember that even now the problem is not with the motor......it's with the ESC. Once that technology grows, there appears to be very little doubt that brushless will make brushed motors outdated for rc use.......especially in competition.
Personally, I'm unsure of the advantage a system like the Novak offers. Is having an ESC that allows for different levels of performance really any good for the industry??? It would seem to me that the companies would have more to gain by sticking with the system as we have it now. The motor will not have to be changed but as a driver progresses, he could update to a higher performance ESC. I know it sounds mundane but......thats progress.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

evo the brush motor in the case of stock and 19t in which the tolerances in performance is wide is true but with tuning
you can close that gap. besides racing is a race against the skills of the other driver and the knowledge he has of tuning yes the factor of cost is always there no matter what people do its always there how fast do you want to go and multiply the dollars will give you speed its as old as racing and time.
i raced real cars in the scca in the improved touring class which puts limits on the modification you can do to the cars.
in much the same way as our scale the cars were close in performance but the guys with the deep pockets always fared better in the race than the guys on the budget. because in the back of their mind the guys with the cash flow could push the car 110% versus the budget guys giving it 90% because the cars needed to go a full season of 10 to 14c races than the rich guys that would rebuild a car every 4 to 5 races.

in rc thats is prevalent in stock and 19t
dont you think the guys will turn their attention to spending the money on better batteries and mistreating them to get the power to win.
yes in the backyard basher / small club arena i see room for it because at that level of grass roots racing the performance will be cheaper to get and maintane as far as a national type caliber racing format it may neverhappen at least not in the near future . the concept is and an excellant one for the hobby enthusiest . not the pro racer which i am sure we might be in agreeance.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Brushless motors will be a different game no more "mechanical" tuning but maybe more "electronic" tuning...lets just say you will be able to tune the motor with a laptop instead of a dyno,comm lathe etc.
Remember that a bl esc knows and must know everything thats happening inside a bl motor at all time so the esc has total control over it,so imagine the possibilities to control the power curve more precisely for different tracks.
I may be going out on a limb but the esc could in the future tell you the power output of your motor while its being used in your car.
Dont get me wrong i loved tuning my brushed motors but they just dont cut it anymore with higher capacity cells on the horizon.
Brushed motors have only 1 hope of surviving, they have to be made with multiple segments armatures like astro-flight motors or else....
Heck novak bl motors are now available at towerhobbies and their only priced 5-15$ more then some high end brushed motors.

Sorry guys but i dont see ANY advantages for brushed motors in the near future!
Old 09-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

There are NO advantages of a brushed motor.

I saw an article about Li-Po cells (lithium poly)-- Holy cow. The had the Hakcer brushles 5 turn in a new Super RS4 (like the size of the super nitro, only electric)

They tested the car (same motor) with GP3300 and with the new Li-Po Cells 8000mah. 60ft acceleration was .2 seconds faster and 7 mph faster, and top speed was 6 mph faster at 47.2 versus 41.2 with the GP3300. I think I would rather have the Li-Po batts with the brushless motor.

Imagine15 minute mains in electric MODIFIED. Plust, you would probably only need 1 pack, or have two. Run all your qualifiers on the ONE CHARGE, then put in the other pack for the main.

These advances are INCREDIBLE, and the only way they will become mainstream is if people like you and me BUY the stuff, and USE IT, and make it work. If everyone is affraid to bring it out to a race, then it will never catch on. I am an avid racer, I have 8 high end GP3300 packs as well as about 15 other (older) high end packs. With all the money I spent on the packs alone, I could be running the Li-Po setup with a brushless motor. It is indeed the way of the future.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

its not a fear they need to perfect it so it'll get wide spreed acceptance as everything in its efancy you have to wait till its developed and tested and perfected until then i ll wait then i spend my money.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by speedxl
its not a fear they need to perfect it so it'll get wide spreed acceptance as everything in its efancy you have to wait till its developed and tested and perfected until then i ll wait then i spend my money.
and with what money will they develop the "perfect" solution?
if people dont buy the BL that is available now, will the manufacturer DEVELOP a better BL since it doesn't make money for their company?

BL doesn't sell, doesn't make money, who would want to research and develop it?

psst..some people

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.