Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Connectors and battery bars make a difference? >

Connectors and battery bars make a difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connectors and battery bars make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Connectors and battery bars make a difference?

ok i dont run mod and i dont win well not so far im pretty new. but whats got me confused is why the manufacturers reckon gold makes better connectors than copper?
copper is (as far as im aware) the best conductor so shouldnt we all be running copper battery bars? also i soldered my silver intelect bars badly, would i notice a difference if i resoldered copper bars with silver solder?

finally this is more a personal prefference but isa corrally style connector less resistive than a deans plug? just all locals use corraly and i use deans is there a difference?
most of what i asked is probably personal preference but whats the logic behind it? should i re build my packs and solder different bars and connectors?
cheers all
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Chances are at your (and my) skill level it doesn't make much difference what kind of connections or battery bars you use. Just use whatever you feel is most convenient or looks the most trick and make sure you get clean connections with your battery bars.

I've just switched to the Corrally style connectors from Deans on all my packs. After using the Corrallys for a couple weeks now I'm probably going back to the Deans or try soldering my connections.

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
ok i dont run mod and i dont win well not so far im pretty new. but whats got me confused is why the manufacturers reckon gold makes better connectors than copper?
copper is (as far as im aware) the best conductor so shouldnt we all be running copper battery bars? also i soldered my silver intelect bars badly, would i notice a difference if i resoldered copper bars with silver solder?

finally this is more a personal prefference but isa corrally style connector less resistive than a deans plug? just all locals use corraly and i use deans is there a difference?
most of what i asked is probably personal preference but whats the logic behind it? should i re build my packs and solder different bars and connectors?
cheers all
Silver is the best conductor.
Gold is usefull as it doesn't corrode.

I think you'll find that all the battery bars including the silver and gold items are just copper with a coating of the other metal.

I personally use silver solder due to the reduced resistance.
You want to use flux etc to make sure the joint is clean and use a good, very hot soldering iron so you only have to put it on for about 1 sec to solder the bar at one end.

Slamman is right about there being very little difference, but good joints are less likely to cause trouble in the future.

Skiddins
Old 12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

ok kool i get it now just i noticed andy more ran copper battery bars, and made me think why not use the dearer ones.

with wire is it a good idea to run deans wet noodle where possible?
ive seen guys use 14ga from the speedy then about and inch out solder it to wet noodle, is this a good idea or is plain old 14ga write through alright? im limited as i runa gt7 so i dont think i can make wet noodle fit.
also is general silisones (GS) good wire?
cheers guys
Old 12-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

ok kool i get it now just i noticed andy more ran copper battery bars, and made me think why not use the dearer ones.

with wire is it a good idea to run deans wet noodle where possible?
ive seen guys use 14ga from the speedy then about and inch out solder it to wet noodle, is this a good idea or is plain old 14ga write through alright? im limited as i runa gt7 so i dont think i can make wet noodle fit.
also is general silisones (GS) good wire?
cheers guys
You can use Deans wet noodles.You just need to cut a few strands of wire to make it thinner...Probably why people are using 14ga wires is due to weight.12ga wires are surely to be heavier than 14ga.

Also GS wires are good wires.Basically, I just use any silicone wire thats available and cheap...
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

This is interesting information is taken from "http://materials.globalspec.com/help...12&sectionid=1"

"Copper is second only to silver in bulk electrical conductivity. Copper has superior strength compared to silver, but inferior oxidation resistance. Copper is often employed as a base metal in electrical contact and electrode applications.

Silver has the highest conductivity of all metals. The high conductivity, softness or low hardness and high resistance to oxidation make silver an excellent choice for contact materials. Silver is strengthened with additions copper, but at the sacrifice of conductivity. Fine silver is silver with very high purity (99.99% Ag). Pure or fine silver is too soft for most commercial applications, but the material is used as a starting component to form other silver based alloys.

Gold has extremely high corrosion resulting in high reliability electrical contacts even under light load conditions. Gold forms useful contact alloys with silver, copper, nickel, cobalt, platinum and palladium. Major drawbacks are high cost, poor sliding friction characteristics and low erosion resistance."
Old 12-13-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i like the corally connectors because i don't have to fight to get them off and they use less wire than deans. looks a little neater on the chassis too.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

is there much difference in quality between the different brand of corally connectors?
ie are genuine corally better than jet know off's?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

ist not real gold anyway
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

is there much difference in quality between the different brand of corally connectors?
ie are genuine corally better than jet know off's?
I use the small "corally style" connectors made by Eflite for their brushless systems. Very easy to use and keeps the wiring very clean. All of the top drivers at my track use them or direct solder and I have yet to see any performance loss by using them. The deans plugs always required too much wire for my liking.