Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Trinity DPD issue >

Trinity DPD issue

Trinity DPD issue

Old 12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default Trinity DPD issue

I am trying to discharge with the internal selection on my trinity DPD...It works fine with one pack and then on another pack it just sits there with the timer running and does not discharge...one cell usually is done prior to the rest, right now Cell4 is done and the rest have arond 1.2v in them...not sure what the possible problem could be it has been 20 plus mins now...I have also tried on linear and same result...any info would help Jeff
Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You just have one cell with lower run time. If you had it set on pulse, when one cell hits .9 volts the fan will shut off and the unit will go into the 5 amp linear discharge until all the cells reach .9.. or what ever you had set it to. This can take quit a while if one cell has a lot less run time than the rest. Just let it run and check back later.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

do u know if the fan shuts down at a specific voltage or temp?
i noticed my fan stopped waaayyy before 0.9v .. sometimes when all cells are still 1.1+v ..
Old 12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Now that you mention it, mine showed a cell that ended pretty quick compared to the others. It has happened twice. And I think it is always the number 4 cell.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

i wish people would learn to use their equipment properly.

in 30amp mode the fans turn off once ONE cell reaches 0.9volts. then it reverts to like a 1amp discharge.

the 1 cell that droped to 0.9volt whilst being discharged at 30amp, would now bounce back up to 1.2volts when only being disharge at 1amp.

if you dont understand that concept then you best just use it and not think about it
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PIITB

the 1 cell that droped to 0.9volt whilst being discharged at 30amp, would now bounce back up to 1.2volts when only being disharge at 1amp.
ahh .. ic .. now it makes sense
i guess when i checked the DPD, this one particular cell had already bounced back up to ~1.2v

if i didn't ask the question, i would NEVER have known
Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PIITB
i wish people would learn to use their equipment properly.

in 30amp mode the fans turn off once ONE cell reaches 0.9volts. then it reverts to like a 1amp discharge.

if you dont understand that concept then you best just use it and not think about it
Well you dont have to post your comments. He was just asking a question. If you dont ask, how can you learn. Sorry to inconvience you of your vaulable time.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

PRoblem continues, after about 40 mins of discharging with my ib 4200s 5 cells say done and the 6th cell is at 1.20v...I am not understanding why the 5amp linear dischage does not discharge at 5 amps... since if it were discharging at 5 amps this would of been done long ago...I even put my pack on my indi reactor 20 for a few seconds waiting for the first light to go out then put it on the tray to equalize... please help not sure what is wrong thanks Jeff
Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Nothing is wrong with your DPD, your battery is just way out of balance. After a few cycles your pack will start to equalize much faster.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

nothing wrong with dpd.

its your pack. you have a dead cell.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Jeff,

Yeah it probably is a cell in the pack. If it doesn't come good after a few cycles, change the cell. Do do this because a bad cell can turn really ugly. I had a cell vent on my living room floor and it freaked me out pretty bad. I thought the thing was going to explode!!!!

Happy new Year!