R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

LMAO! I did spend well over $60 last time I purchased spares for my Xray.
thats because xray parts are like gold. (as far as they think )

but on the other hand xrays as nice cars.
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #17
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In defense of my local (and ONLY) indoor track, The RC Barn in Hampton, MN, Mark just opened the doors around Thanksgiving. Some nights turn out to be just practice nights due to the lack of drivers showing up.

The holidays haven't helped in that regard. Neither does the fact that The Barn is 30 miles outside of the Metro area. Tough for non real car drivers to get their parents to drop them off for a day of racing.

I wish there was a novice class for my son. Heck, even for me. This is also my first season of organized racing even tho I have bashed RC for 17 years in one form or another. My first truck was the Big Brute. Memories!

Mark at The Barn has a grand plan for new and improved indoor as well as outdoor tracks. My son and I can and will be patient while those plans come to fruition.

Mark has brought back the Bolink Legends as a class on Sundays. We both have one and race them. So, Mark is attempting to give us other avenues to progress our R/C careers in a format as close to equal as possible for each person's abilities and budget.

Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
yes a beginner could use that, but......the way to choose a beginner's car is figure out where you are going to race. Visit the place. Hopefully they have a rookie/novice class. Does the track have a hobbyshop that sells RTR vehicles? Buy your first vehicle from the hobbyshop and get a basic RTR....sounds like you want a touring car. It's going to cost 4 times as much as the thing you showed us if you buy new.

My point being that you need to support your LHS especially if it has a track. If they have a nice size racing program and money is a big deal tell them that and let them show you their suggestions.

If you stay with the hobby for some time the initial cost of the vehicle is a small fee compared to replacing broken parts that get broken learning to race.
Guys he is not a rookie. YR4Dude is a seasoned driver. He knows enough about this hobby (bottomless money pit) .
Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
Thanks to the SoCal guys that help me & "Tha Man" Paul Lemieux
Racing TC Class where allowed with what I have.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #19
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

The only way that car will do any good is if you offer it as a spec type class.. For the money, if you can get a byunch of people running the class its worth it.. having them all on the same car will make the feild a bit more level.. You dont want someone to buy that, show up and get laughed at, and not to mention be frustrated because there not doing well.. In order to keep and bring people into the hobby, you need them to not only be happy, but you need them to want to come back..
HERE IS MY TRADER FEEDBACK ON HOBBYTALK. http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/itrader.php?u=8257
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #20
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The issue isnt needing a spec class/battery/motors... many shops/manufacturers have attempted this and they are welcomed with lukewarm enthusiasm. This is about our societies need for instant gratification... feeling we dont/shouldnt have to work or earn what we want. People need to realize that they WILL LOSE as they progress thru the learning curve... heck even sponsored guys that have everything "given" to them lose races!!! The person dedicated to winning is there at the track, spending the money, not only for good cars and parts, but spending the TIME to earn the SKILL to drive. EARN. No push button remote can give that to you... TiVo cant record, download, and play it back for you WHEN YOU want it. Now on topic, YES a person could start racing with that car... and yanno what, so what if it gets broken... its 60$. But that person has a taste of R/C, and will know by the time its broken, if they want to be COMPETITIVE in racing. With that comes the need for a better car.

On Legends class... i absofreakinlutely love legends cars. That is the one and only class i have had nothing but fun running. No pressure, little wrench time... you charge your battery and hang out with your racing buddies... its toss it on the track and rub fenders kinda fun!

TC is dying like OVAL did years ago... its killing itself... its all good though... R/C will never die... there will always be some kind of R/C car to run, regardless of the fads that come and go.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Thanks for your comments DaveW, Centerline, Burbs, Paco.

I totally agree, a Legends class is a great way to also get started. Also for a few bucks more Minis are also a good possibility. I think Tamiya produces an RTR Mini kit for less than $200 but that may also be outside some peoples budgets.

At my track, we hardly see any people in Novice, in fact once long ago there would be almost as many as three heats of novice. All of you can agree that novice is where the future members of our RC community will come from.

Yes, I am a bottomless RC pit. I have more TCs than I have time to drive them. I have monster trucks that I can bash in my front yard for as long as I want but after about 10 minutes of squiting around it gets boring for me. I realize that the real fun for me is to go to my local track and meet other people and have fun competing with others and also talk about the competition. That is what I live for and look forward to. It would be sad to see my local track close down. I'm sure it would be the same for everyone else.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #22
Tech Champion
Default Here's another one.

This is another one.

Look at the Buy-It-Now price.

Look also at the car very closely. It looks very Pro 4 like. Parts compatible??
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 AM   #23
Tech Champion

And another one.

Buy-It-Now for less than $100

This one comes with a computer radio very similar to Futaba's and ESC plus alum. threaded shocks! Wow!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #24
Tech Champion
Default F1 knock-off

Here's an example of a Chinese engineered (econo-engineering) of an F1 favorite.

Notice the missing shocks but also notice the Buy-It-Now price which includes full electrics well under $100. Tamiya parts compatible? Could you sneak this one by at the Tamiya track??