Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lipo-Lead weight plates >

Lipo-Lead weight plates

Lipo-Lead weight plates

Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Lipo-Lead weight plates

Here's a nice option for adding weight to your ride when running lipo packs.

I posted this in the offroad forum. I'm not sure what you guys are doing in onroad, but I'm assuming weight is added when running lipos at least in some cases.

The plates are the size of common car packs (@136x46mm) and also half size 23mm strips to fit on the sides of a battery.

4 ounce plates (4.25 oz) are 1.7mm thick
2 ounce plates (2.25 oz) are 1 mm thick
1 ounce plates are .5mm

Depending on which lipo you have, you can run the plates under the battery or beside or both.

There will also be a 46x23mm size to fit in front or behind a battery.

Several guys ran with them at a big race last weekend where lipos were finally allowed!!!

Check out here for some pics etc... www.teamfusionracing.blogspot.com
Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Great idea, wish someone had done this sooner. On the 3200 is there a piece small enough to go between the "nubs"?

Product recommendation: to ease the concerns of the state of california (as I assume by that state this is known to cause cancer), have they thought about dipping them in something to cover the lead? A thin rubbery solution?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Rookie

nice man

be
Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Great idea, wish someone had done this sooner. On the 3200 is there a piece small enough to go between the "nubs"?

Product recommendation: to ease the concerns of the state of california (as I assume by that state this is known to cause cancer), have they thought about dipping them in something to cover the lead? A thin rubbery solution?
Yes something like this...

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/plastidip.html
Old 01-14-2008, 06:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Now I know who you are from the Chilli race. Ben Watson was going to borrow me his Orion 4800 Lipo for Mod class, he bought some of the lead weights from ya, but when I tried to put them in my b4, i wasnt able to put the batter strap on, because the overall height is to much... So are these really for the Orion 3200/3600?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

why dont you use wheel weights of a real car to bellance the car out.see your local tire dealer and ask for weights,they might give you 2nd hand ones but they work just as well and you can spread the weight out further than 1 long sheet it also does not itner fear with battery casing or waranties as well as changing the ballance of the car from pack to pack.
just my thoughts about the weights
Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

With the Orion 3200, there's going to be a kit with the narrow 23mm piece that does fit length-wise between the nubs on the bottom of the case, and a piece to fit in the channel on the top of the case. Just like in the pics in the above link. I actually took that 3200 pack and bent the edges of the bottom lead piece and shrink-wrapped the whole thing in clear battery heat shrink. I'll post a pic...

I have some of the Lipo-Lead clearcoated... and that will likely be done with future batches. It's not for environmental issues; only for keeping your fingers clean.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Cool, whats the price?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BSchorr
Now I know who you are from the Chilli race. Ben Watson was going to borrow me his Orion 4800 Lipo for Mod class, he bought some of the lead weights from ya, but when I tried to put them in my b4, i wasnt able to put the batter strap on, because the overall height is to much... So are these really for the Orion 3200/3600?
Some lipo packs are already taller than a nickel pack... and there isn't much room to raise it even higher without tweaking something. The best way to add weight to the 4800 is to grind a bit on the battery strap and/or shock tower. That's what guys have been doing when using other lead tape stuff too. It doesn't take much shaving on the carbon FT battery strap to make it fit... about 1/4 of the strap thickness off the back 1/2". I'm did that in my AE cars with my Core-RC packs which are .5mm thicker than the Orions.

I have seen guys using them in several cars so far... AE, Kyosho, Academy... not sure about Losi.

The new Losi hardcase lipo is listed as 25.5mm thick. To compare , an Orion 4800 and the 4.25oz lead plate is 24.7mm.

Anyone who wants could just get thin plates and use one under the battery (should fit pretty easy) and put more in other places like along the sides, etc.

Had fun racing with you guys for sure.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by little man
why dont you use wheel weights of a real car to bellance the car out.see your local tire dealer and ask for weights,they might give you 2nd hand ones but they work just as well and you can spread the weight out further than 1 long sheet it also does not itner fear with battery casing or waranties as well as changing the ballance of the car from pack to pack.
just my thoughts about the weights

No doubt this isn't the only thing you can use to weight the car.

But I do think it's the most convenient and easy thing available.

You can also use tape it to the battery... especially if you use different packs of different weights... like a 3200 and a 4800. Or a lipo and nickel packs.

That way every pack weighs the same, and changing packs doesn't change the handling etc.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks like the ones I did back in March of '07
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...15#post3153515

Last edited by c1 racin; 09-05-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, whats the price?
edited... more info.

Right now... the 4.25 oz is $8 and the 2.25 oz is $4

We will have more kits put together by next week... wait and see what happens with that. Might even have a free shipping on some kits as a promo.

Shipping will be $5 for 2-3 day within the 48 U.S. Other locations will have to be calculated at the time, and cost will only be actual cost, not inflated.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited by glassdoctor; 01-15-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by c1 racin
Looks like the ones I did back in March of '07
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...15#post3153515
Sorta Nice job esp for on road slotted chassis.

I've seen all kinds of weight added to packs. I've made all kinds of custon lead weights for my cars. I know guys who melt lead to pour it into chassis cavities in offroad cars. But not everyone wants to do stuff like this.

Recently a lot of my racing buddies have been going lipo and adding lead tape/bars/etc... whatever they could find. Some had a hard time finding something to work without making the car look like a giant lead bird took a dump on it.

That's one of the reasons we decided to make Lipo-Lead... to give racers an easy option to get it done.

I admit it's not rocket science... but neither is a Big Mac hee hee
Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default TC5 weights and lipo

I chose to make my own.Melt some lead in a ladle and pour it in a dirt mold.A few hours of filing and this is the result.Wear a mask if you choose to do this.

Last edited by gurumods; 01-15-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default a few hours of filing

To all of the kids reading this, if you will be filing lead, wear a mask or respirator. Since most kids won't wear one, don't file lead. Instead of using lead, spend a little more money and get tungsten weights for pine-wood derby cars. They cost more, but are safer and you can use less volume because tungsten is much more dense than lead.

You can get 4.5 ounces of tungsten weight for $10.50 (a 4.2oz lead plate from this thread will cost you $8 + shipping, so same price) here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=015

Last edited by billjacobs; 01-15-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.