R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have pretty much decided on the brushless. Luckly I dont have all the equipment to rebuild them. Last time I was racing was in 1992 and back then they werent completely rebuildable, we just ran em washed em and replaced the brushes.Now the motors and elctronics have came along way but the problem now is finding a place to run the classes I want in one place or even a track to race at all. I use to run mod truck, mod buggy, stock in both and the same on the oval, but now im having a hard time finding anywhere halfway local that even runs a offroad electric buggy class and the oval doesent seem to be that popular anymore either. The buggy thing is a easy fix I can just pick up a t4 somewhere but I prefer the buggy. Im going to go check out some of the tracks that I used to race at and go from there. They might not even be there anymore. Oh yea im in ne ga near athens so if anybody has any suggestions it would be a huge help.
riley1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
Tech Master

Just go Brushless....For those who have equipment for brushed motors you can either sell them or just leave them aside just in case.

I've gone brushless and loving it...I do use brush motors but I've migrated them from my 415 MRE to my F103GT which they can serve the rest of their life....
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I think we're going to see that the programability of a speed controls will allow for fine tuning, but not so much for increasing performance. Talk of tweaking an ESC and brushless with a computer to gain some giant advantage is just a scare tactic, no amount of software tweaking is going to turn a 10.5 into an 8.5. Don't be afeared, nobody in the world is going to get beat on the track because someone is better at tweaking ESC parameters than they are.

And, at least an ESC program is just settings and numbers, and no voodoo like springs combined with certain brushes combined with shims and other tuning tricks. You can put ESC settings on a website and anybody can download and duplicate them exactly. Not so much with brushed motor tuning. It's very much the different between analog and digital tuning when you're comparing brushed and brushless motors. One is extremely subjective, the other is ones and zeros.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #19
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Although this is the onroad forum .....

I think brushless has more advantages for offroad than onroad, due to better sealing. I just run my electric T3 in with the nitros. Offroad, the Novak 4.5 it is highly competitive, as fast or faster than stadium trucks - IF you have enough traction to put that power to the ground. I am near the top when traction is good, but struggle when traction is poor.

Oval it was slower than the top nitros, but better than average.

But really it comes down to... what does the tracks you race at allow? Or what will they allow in the coming year?

Getting the 4.5 brushless for bashing was SO much fun and SO easy, it got me back into competitive racing again.

I only have experience with the Novak so can't compare versus others. But I have thoroughly enjoyed mine.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote