Wiki Posts
Search

soldering battery sideXside

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default soldering battery sideXside

just wanna ask if i will be soldering by batteries into sideXside packs whats the battery should be..?? i mean do i have to put charge in it before soldering it or discharge it to 0.9 before soldering it.. because putting the iron too long i think will surely hurt the cells.. so if i put charge in it will it matters?? i mean whats the best condition of batts when soldering.. should have charge in it or none??
Old 12-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
just wanna ask if i will be soldering by batteries into sideXside packs whats the battery should be..?? i mean do i have to put charge in it before soldering it or discharge it to 0.9 before soldering it.. because putting the iron too long i think will surely hurt the cells.. so if i put charge in it will it matters?? i mean whats the best condition of batts when soldering.. should have charge in it or none??
no charge for soldering
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

before soldering, make sure your cell is empty, discharge it to 0.9 is good. And, make sure you using high quality iron that have power about > 120 W so the soldering process is fast.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by t4m1y4niac
before soldering, make sure your cell is empty, discharge it to 0.9 is good. And, make sure you using high quality iron that have power about > 120 W so the soldering process is fast.
thanks sir odpurple, t4m1y4niac.. i will do that.. thanks again sir for the help...
Old 12-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

question again.. i dont have any battery jig to assemble my batts.. any recommended/alternative way to get soldering easy.. coz if not battery will not look good for sure... misAligned sideXside... hahaha
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

question again.. i dont have any battery jig to assemble my batts.. any recommended/alternative way to get soldering easy.. coz if not battery will not look good for sure... misAligned sideXside... hahaha
I don't use a jig. I shrink wrap the cells and glue them together with shoe goo, then solder the bars on. If you do not want to glue the cells together you pretty much need to use a jig.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

depending on the chassis you have, you could put them in and secure them w/ the strap. solder on one side, then take them out and flip them over. solder the other side. i recommend doing this ONLY if you have a chassis that has at least one side of the pack exposed.

-Zac
Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Buy a jig and a good soldering iron, and take your time! It's not worth making a mess of an expensive set of cells for the sake of a few $.

If you dont you'll wish you did
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

ok thanks.. i think i will glue them after i installed the shrink... btw how do you wrapped your cells?? i mean you blew an hot air like hair drier??
Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

If you mean how to shrink the shrink wrap, you can use a hair dryer. It'll take longer. If you can get a hold of a heat gun, that's better. It's hotter and will heat the shrinkwrap faster so you don't have to blow on the cell as long---->avoids overheating the cells.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM
SPC

Assemble the cells side-x-side using a battery jig and a sufficient soldering iron with a 3/8" chisel tip. With practice you can obtain solder joint like these.
Attached Thumbnails soldering battery sideXside-pc020081.jpg   soldering battery sideXside-pc020091.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
If you mean how to shrink the shrink wrap, you can use a hair dryer. It'll take longer. If you can get a hold of a heat gun, that's better. It's hotter and will heat the shrinkwrap faster so you don't have to blow on the cell as long---->avoids overheating the cells.
thank you very much sir..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

I've allways paid to have my packs assembled.. $7 - $10 is what I've paid seems worth it to me..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

question on soldering those batteries,
do you need to prep the surface of the cells to get the solder to flow and stick? it dremmel or ruff up the surface of the cells, and pre-tin? i can never get mine to flow nicely with a minimal amount of solder.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:04 PM
agp
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Electro-MAX RC
question on soldering those batteries,
do you need to prep the surface of the cells to get the solder to flow and stick? it dremmel or ruff up the surface of the cells, and pre-tin? i can never get mine to flow nicely with a minimal amount of solder.

i use fine grit sand paper to sand the batt surface b4 soldering the batt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.