Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Evoracer
Hope this doesn't sound TOO dumb but....do you guy's actually drive the Worlds Edition SD ?? I'm interested in trying one but with only 555 made....I wonder if it's more of a collectors item. It looks great though !!
Shaft drive with open gear boxes - it better only be run on very well prepared surfaces. The track it was raced on at the worlds was meticulously prepared.

It's a beautiful looking car, but it's defintiely a collectors item really. The new Yok BD will be the next 'big thing' and I suspect it will be far more practical to race than an SDW.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Horatio
Shaft drive with open gear boxes - it better only be run on very well prepared surfaces. The track it was raced on at the worlds was meticulously prepared.

It's a beautiful looking car, but it's defintiely a collectors item really. The new Yok BD will be the next 'big thing' and I suspect it will be far more practical to race than an SDW.
the open diffs are not a problem, at least they aren't for me. and the track is not prepared, little rocks, and sticks and stuff everywhere. after quite a few packs through it the rear diff, had a little clicking noise from ity bity stuff in them but it still rolled free.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Turtlemaster
....little rocks, and sticks and stuff everywhere. after quite a few packs through it the rear diff, had a little clicking noise from ity bity stuff in them but it still rolled free.
Sounds like you're just lucky so far! Open gearboxes just don't seem like a good idea to me. It's just plain unsatisfactory from an engineering solution perspective.

If I owned one, I'd fashion some lexan covers to help ensure nothing got into the gears. The car is definitely special. I wouldn't be able to justify racing it though - I just wouldn't feel worthy!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

has anyone ran their car SDW in stock carpet racing?

would like to get some input on how it handles.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hey SD guys, I'm building a CGM right now ... I got the titanium screw kit and precision bearings already. What other hop-ups would you say are most effective? I got those two to start because that's the best time to install them, otherwise you have to dismantle the entire car.

I'm thinking a carbon fiber driveshaft, lightweight input shafts, and some .5 and 1 degree rear hub carriers. What others would you suggest?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by TurboFC3S
Hey SD guys, I'm building a CGM right now ... I got the titanium screw kit and precision bearings already. What other hop-ups would you say are most effective? I got those two to start because that's the best time to install them, otherwise you have to dismantle the entire car.

I'm thinking a carbon fiber driveshaft, lightweight input shafts, and some .5 and 1 degree rear hub carriers. What others would you suggest?
WIDE FRONT BUMPER>>>>> A MUST IF YOU LIKE NOT BREAKING MUCH>>>>SAVED ME MANY TIMES>>>>
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TurboFC3S

Sounds like you got everything covered. I'll agree with Shookie, get the wide bumper, save yourself some cash for buying other stuff later.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

I would have to say besides the wide front bumper you should be set. Ive never ran the 1 degree hub, maybe a half. The input shafts yes, but Im not sure about the driveshaft either, Ive always ran the stock one.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

K, I'll add the wide bumper to my list ... since I do tend to hit everything in sight I have a carbon driveshaft on my SSG, I can swap it into the CGM and see how it like it. My thinking is that I'll run the SD in stock and 19turn, so that little bit of less rotating mass should help. Also it's possible a cf shaft might flex a bit, and lessen torque steer?

Then I'll run my Tamiya 414M2 in modified until I get my new Yokomo BD
Old 03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

[B]has anyone ran their car SDW in stock carpet racing?

would like to get some input on how it handles.

Thanks in advance!
Hallo i have tested the SDW in 27 stock and 19 stock on sorex 28
Im faster whit the SDW than i was whit the CGM on carpet
it has more steering and reacts better
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I would imagine the CGM does pretty well on carpet ... the chassis is as stiff as anything I've ever seen! The only car I've seen that's close is my RC Lab.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TurboFC3S:

the yokomo's own CF center drive shaft will flex like a noodle
during mod and it is also heavier(the older version).

try to get the SDW's drive shaft. it is much stronger and
lighter.

hope this help

~ming
Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Ming ... I'll get the SDW one then
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks all. So what's the parts supply like for the SDW ?? Are the parts that are unique to the Worlds car available?? Is the whole car unique or are some of the parts the same as a regular SD ??
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Evoracer
Thanks all. So what's the parts supply like for the SDW ?? Are the parts that are unique to the Worlds car available?? Is the whole car unique or are some of the parts the same as a regular SD ??
Parts supply, someone will probably clarify this further, its available, not in mass quantities. I've found the parts at www.speedtechrc.com. The car was a limited production run at 655 kits (last known official count), and I believe that Ultimate Hobbies in SoCal still have some kits available. The main differences are the bulkheads, arms, steering, motormount, arm blocks, and the chassis, upper and lower decks. Or in a nutshell, almost the whole car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.