Yokomo MR-4TC SD >

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Old 03-14-2005, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Setup Help

I raced my new CGM this past Saturday (after a 6 month layoff). We have a brand new indoor asphalt track (approx. 145'x80') and the surface is very nice.

Using Take-off CS 27s, I was having difficulty keeping the rear end planted. The rear end would come around when exiting a turn. I also had problems with push entering turns under power. During the 3rd qualifier, my car felt much better about 2 minutes into the race. At the end of the day, my new set of CS 27s, were blistered on the front tires.

My setup:

- Stock motor
- green springs front, yellow rear
- 50 wt. oil at all four corners
- brass colored sway bar in front, silver in the rear
- 7mm droop rear, 4 mm droop front
- 5mm ride height
- Ride Accord/TSX body
- rear shock lower mounting position bottom at outter hole
- front third hole in from outter hole
- 1.5 degrees of camber front & rear

Interestingly enough, when I last raced during the summer (outdoor parking lot), setup was not a problem. My CGM felt balanced and was fast. And I never experienced blistering tires even after many weeks of racing???

thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Setup Help

Originally posted by Geppetto
I raced my new CGM this past Saturday (after a 6 month layoff). We have a brand new indoor asphalt track (approx. 145'x80') and the surface is very nice.

Using Take-off CS 27s, I was having difficulty keeping the rear end planted. The rear end would come around when exiting a turn. I also had problems with push entering turns under power. During the 3rd qualifier, my car felt much better about 2 minutes into the race. At the end of the day, my new set of CS 27s, were blistered on the front tires.

My setup:

- Stock motor
- green springs front, yellow rear
- 50 wt. oil at all four corners
- brass colored sway bar in front, silver in the rear
- 7mm droop rear, 4 mm droop front
- 5mm ride height
- Ride Accord/TSX body
- rear shock lower mounting position bottom at outter hole
- front third hole in from outter hole
- 1.5 degrees of camber front & rear

Interestingly enough, when I last raced during the summer (outdoor parking lot), setup was not a problem. My CGM felt balanced and was fast. And I never experienced blistering tires even after many weeks of racing???

thanks
Try some antisquat in the rear. That should losen the car up going into the corner and plant it better on power coming out of the corner. Other than that your setup looks pretty "normal", there's nothing else that would scream out to me to change.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by fpart
I have a question. Since the SDW front driveshafts wear out so soon. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket set of universals that wear less than the SDW's?

The standard SD drivshafts will works but the have a different geometry(no spacer) that I think effects handling.

Im looking for SDW direct replacements
Use the old Yokomo Hardened Universals part # ZS-010FH and grind down the ball so they will fit.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

I have a question. Since the SDW front driveshafts wear out so soon. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket set of universals that wear less than the SDW's?

The standard SD drivshafts will works but the have a different geometry(no spacer) that I think effects handling.

I'm pretty sure that spacer is only used because the spacing of the bearings is different from front to rear. On the regular universals they're made so they only fit the front or rear. Try to pick up some of the hardened universals from the old belt drive car, speedtech carried them last I checked.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Setup Help

Originally posted by Matt Howard
Try some antisquat in the rear. That should losen the car up going into the corner and plant it better on power coming out of the corner. Other than that your setup looks pretty "normal", there's nothing else that would scream out to me to change.
Thanks Matt. How do I adjust "antisquat"? I don't even know what "antisquat" is???
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Matt is correct...the axle hex pins holes are machined differently front and rear for the sdw. the use of the standard universals from the cgm and sd will work fine as well as a set of modded hardened uni's....no problem....none of these will use the spacers.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Setup Help

Thanks Matt. How do I adjust "antisquat"? I don't even know what "antisquat" is???
You put antisquat into the car by putting a thin spacer under the forward rear suspension mount so the front of the arm is slightly higher than the rear of the arm. Your kit included some thin spacers that are used for this. The notched one is equal to 1 deg when placed under a suspension mount so you would have 1 deg of antisquat by using one. The unnotched one is equal to 1mm if you want to space something by 1mm. It's an easy adjustment to make so I would try 1 deg of antisquat, drive it for a couple of laps then try 2 deg and see what you prefer.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Adept

use the figure 8 shims under the forward, rear suspension mounts to increase the angle of the inner hinge pin(forward higher). this gives you more off power steering and more stable acceleration. May cause a slight push on power.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

dang noah, you're always right behind me That's what he's looking for, more rear traction on power and more steering off power
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Thanks! You guys ROCK!!! (at least that's what my daughter would say)
Old 03-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy spool diff

I have been running a standard plastic ball diff coverted to a spool with no running problems but when i tried a speedtech/fastrax spool diff on half lock i am getting massive amounts of chattering/vibration that can be heard on track when cornering causing strange handling problems. i am using standard axles and dog bones.

yokomo sd black/ssg

The problem seemed even worse with the fastrax spool on my brothers car.
can anybody help?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

im using the standard SD driveshafts in my SDW... i didnt feel any set up changes.

the old MR4 TC hardened universals is what the yokomo guys use here for their SD/rayspeed stuff.. they just grind down the end ot make it fit.

btw. i compared the axel length of the blue SDW uni...vs the standard SD uni. it was identical in axel length.

Last edited by Hebiki; 03-14-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks! You guys ROCK!!! (at least that's what my daughter would say)
Geppetto... the springs you are running.. are those yokomo or rayspeed? (green front, yellow rear)
Old 03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

does anyone know if the regular SD upper deck fit on a SDW?

would anyone know of a company that makes a thicker upper deck for the SD? i would like to prep my car for carpet racing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by racer

would anyone know of a company that makes a thicker upper deck for the SD? i would like to prep my car for carpet racing.

Thanks in advance!
Try ATHEENA PROJECTS...

- JB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.