I just got back from vacation today. The last opportunity that I had to race was back on the August 14th (the day before I left for vacation). The 14th was also the first time that I ran my converted SD-Black as a CGM. I decided to use most of the settings from Matt Howard's setup sheet as a starting point. The only real problem I had with the conversion was mounting my servo. My Airtronics 94737 servo has the ears removed so, as a temporary measure, I decided to install a standard servo.
Unfortunately, it seems that the mounts provided by Yokomo (supplied with my SD) don't quite work. The holes don't line up properly on the chassis when mounted on my Airtronics Standard Servo. Also, the short servo mount was still too tall???
Anyway, I decided to shoo goo my 94737 servo to the chassis. Evidently, I didn't allow enough time for the Shoo Goo to dry, since during setup at the track, my servo began to come unglued.
I was desperate to race, and I didn't have any other alternative so I used servo tape. The tape didn't keep the servo rock solid, but it did hold up through 3 qualifiers, and 1 main.
To sum things up... I characterize the CGM chassis the way John Bull
I felt like I could drive the CGM as fast as I wanted to without having to back off at all. It gave me so much confidence to drive fast that it was almost scary. Since the track layout was not the same as the previous week, I couldn't really compare lap time with my SD-Black chassis.
One thing is certain, the CGM is much easier to drive!!! I'm so glad that I made the change. I took second in the "A" main running lap times equal to the winner. I believe that I would have won if I were running foam tires like he was. I decided to stick with my Take Off CS27's since I was really preparing for a big charity race we have coming up on the 12th of September.
All I need to do now is mount my servo properly, try a few different adjustments (I had slighly more push) and I'll be ready.