Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid

P.S.....just get the car........you know you wanna!

Tell me about it... It just looks to have a lot of good stuff to offer...it would be a shame to not try one out ..

-Dave
Old 04-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

JDM: What I like is that Yokomo is doing it right the first time. What I mean is that they're not putting out a kit that they know AHEAD OF TIME that they're going to offer an upgraded version of later. They're not looking to watch people spend $200+ on hop ups, then just when people have bought them all, then you release a "Fatory Team" or "Graphite +" version.

They're doing it right the first time!
Old 04-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

has anyone run the car on carpet yet?

if so, are there any setups availiable?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

JDM: What I like is that Yokomo is doing it right the first time. What I mean is that they're not putting out a kit that they know AHEAD OF TIME that they're going to offer an upgraded version of later. They're not looking to watch people spend $200+ on hop ups, then just when people have bought them all, then you release a "Fatory Team" or "Graphite +" version.

Good point Dark..
it's like they learned from the MR-4...with all of the different versions.. special/special1/team special/ special special2...ect ect..
-Dave

Oh Mr. Wang...if your reading this.... I want one
Old 04-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

JDM: Well since the MR4 was originally meant just to be a sport car and nothing more, they at least have an excuse there. Losi and Associated have no such excuses though.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any word as to how much chassis flex the car has? With 2 upper decks, it should be stiff shock tower-to-shock tower, but how is the twist? Obviously Tossolini didn't think his car was stiff enough at the roar nats (same ssg graphite), but the SD top deck looks like it might be a bit wider which could help.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

JDM: Well since the MR4 was originally meant just to be a sport car and nothing more, they at least have an excuse there. Losi and Associated have no such excuses though.
Hmmm I didn't know that about the MR-4

Thanks
-Dave
Old 04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think you can really compare the car Tosseshisweenie ran at nats to the new car. the sd has a very nice looking brace under the drive shaft and like you said a wider top brace.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

do not speak too soon. for all you know there might be 'new improved' versions with different suspension geometries, bulkheads, etc six months down the road. manufacturers can be unpredictable, and historically japanese manufacturers tend to come out with new products/versions faster than american ones like ae or losi.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Thanks Matt

But the thing that has me worried is that my Japanese buddys that have the car are telling me how they are having problems with the front one-way gear warping after a big crash.. ..and also the front diff case breaking where it mounts to the shock tower ...othere than that ...they have no other problems..?
-Dave
no matter how you design it, a shaft drive car is always less forgiving to the front one way in a bad crash than a belt car. it's a catch 22 situation: a well built race car must have stiff shock towers/bulkheads, etc. but we all know that stiff things always have a higher chance of breaking in a crash. (hence the reason why tamiya always says that its trf cars like the evo3 are for 'expert' racers only to 'lessen' any criticism of parts breaking)

the us version with a front diff will probably be less of a problem though.

all things said, the SD still looks very promising.

Last edited by Kyew; 04-04-2003 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

when I look at the front diff case, i feel like it won't break, every thing is quite thick, but it really breaks, i think it will be all the part, not just the things holding the plate .
does the TC3 1 way diff breaks too during hard crashes????

another bad point .....no stiker!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Dave, if the reports of the diff gear breaks from Japan are true then I would really be dissapointed at the amount of quality assurance that Yokomo have used on the car.

Tamiya had similar problems which they could have fixed before the release of the car. All Tamiya had to do was give the car to an AVERAGE driver to test. This would have exposed the obvious weakness of the car. It did not help that they did not acknowledge the problem.

When I looked at the gearbox layout of the SD ... the first thing that came into my mind was: "Oh dear, here we go again...".

I'm gonna play the waiting game on the MR4TC-SD. When a few more more people buy this car we will get a better indication of any serious flaws. If it turns out to be nothing then I'll have one in my collection

If the TC3 and Barracuda gears can survive the frontal impacts, I don't see why others cannot.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Have just gone over the two or so pages since yesterday.

BREAKAGES. I think so much of it depends on your driving. There are a couple of customers to whom I sell at least 1 front bulkhead cap a week. I forget when I last broke one on my car, and I run my car much more than they do. Actually I broke a wishbone a couple of days ago, but I forget when I last replaced one before that, so it can't be bad.

I suppose the same applies with most cars.

FRONT ONE WAYS. The original TC3 ones had weak cups. The bearings were OK but the cups would break with a crash. The original MR4 ones had weak bearings. The latest units have bigger bearings. I have had no trouble with these, and nor have any of the customers who I have sold them to, so Yoke appear to have cracked the problem. Presumably the SD front one way will have the bigger bearings too.

I have been assured that Yoke will supply Europe and the US by the end of this month, so I will have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for mine.

In the meantime, the more I drive my MR4 Sp the more I like it, so I'm not all that worried...........just curious more than anything!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am not sure about the barracuda but the tc3 cannot be compared to the sd for front gear failures. the tc3 driveshaft can float between the pinion outdrives theirfor a frontal impact will not send the shaft and pinion into the ring gear. I don't know why yokomo did not use this type of design to keep the diffs completely seperate.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The SD's shaft floats too, about 3mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.