Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Yokomo MR-4TC SD >

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This weekend there's the Japanese Nationals. First reports indicate that it's Masami and Surikarn that are the two fastest drivers so far. Most of the top drivers have been at the track testing for weeks... Don't be surprised if there will be some new parts on Masami's SD.

Nordic Championship 2003
I finished 10th in this race with my SD. I used my standard setup which I have posted here before. The only changes are 30wt rear oil and 78/26 (7.05) gearing. I also used Tobee Craft aluminium bones and input shafts. The car worked great. My laptimes were very competitive.

Here's a link to my setup.
http://www.netikka.net/kentech/mrtc-...k_standard.pdf
Old 09-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

any links or more news on that jap nationals?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:55 PM

I ordered and installed the Shooters deck mounts from Precision RC and had them 6 or 7 days after ordering.

If you want to run Associated springs and still be able to use a more vertical shock position, I would highly recommend using Tamiya spring retainers and short shock ends. This allows for a long spring, and fits the associated spring diameter well. Maybe later I can post a picture or part number if you want.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

2Tenths - Which shipping option did you choose, regular or the express? Have you had a chance to run your car with them installed, what did you think of them?

Thanks, Lee
Old 09-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default Spool

Ran a spool for the first time time tonight (built up with the Losi pads) on our slippy floor track.

Balance through faster and more open corners was really good, the car really felt it was flowing.

However the car was less responsive to small adjustments off-power (a small kink became very tricky because the car wanted to plough straight on when I lifted rather than turn, even caused me to crash into the apex of the following corner). Low speed steering was also a problem. Also had some "diffing-out" style problems, with the rear kicking out uncontrollably at times, possibly because of the big imbalance in differential action front to rear.

Overall, I could turn similar laptimes if I kept the rhythm, but if I had to go off-line at all it was hard to bring the car back, and I was slower overall. I'm going to mess around a little to try and regain some slow speed steering.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Try giving your car more caster in the front. That will give you more off power steering going into the slow corners. You should still have plenty of on power steering. You can also lay your front shocks in on the top of you shock tower as it will give a little more steering as well.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:22 PM

LeeS - To answer your questions:
I chose the regular shipping (the fast is too expensive! )
They are installed, but I have not run them yet, however they should make the roll center easier to adjust. Also, some of the holes work better for the rear or front of the car, if you don't want the link at a weird angle. The one issue I noticed with them is, if you use the most inner hole (closest to the gear box) with NO spacers, the ball stud's end will start to rub on the gearbox. Puting a washer or two under it, raising the ball stud, fixes the problem.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mine took 5 or less days for shipping. They look feel good quality. I'll have to wait til this weekend to see how they hold up to track/racing conditions.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

What are your impressions when running the SD on carpet with both rubber and foams? Handling, Setup, chassis stiffness?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We got more Tobee Craft hop-ups for the MR-4TCSD back in stock today, along with a few new items from Tobee Craft. We've been getting excellent feed back from Yokomo team drivers in the S. Cali area, and they believe the light weight hop-ups provide a significant advantage and improvement in the acceleration of the car.

Click here to go directly to the Tobee Craft page

Thanks for reading guys

Steve Wang
Old 09-10-2003, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by atheena
What are your impressions when running the SD on carpet with both rubber and foams? Handling, Setup, chassis stiffness?
Hey Atheena, running on carpet you have a ton of traction using foams, this is highly advantageous, as for rubber the traction level is not as high, but with traction compound such as Jack the Gripper, etc, you can achieve good traction, but as with both, you'll need to adjust your suspension setup accordingly. As for chassis stiffness, I recommend a stiff chassis for carpet since the traction level is really high.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

What size tires are everyone using? The kit coes with 24mm rims, but I don't keep stock of 24mm... I'm currently using 30mm while I get the car semi set to my liking in front of my house.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:52 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Anything wider than 26mm rims start to rub on the ball ends on the front and rear shocks depending where you have them mounted at. I use 26mm with no problems.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Actually, I have 30mm front and back right now with no rubbing, they're my beat around street tires. I'm waiting for some new foams to get here, I'm going to try 30mm rears and 26mm fronts and see how that works.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

The Jaco tires are 28mm and work very well. I know a ton of guys that use their tires and I have as well. They would be good for your car to. I'm not sure about needing 30mm on the rear of the car as I don't think you should need to have that much foam to get traction. Just use some RedDot, Paragon, or one of the other brands of traction compound and you will be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.