Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Has anyone had any problems with the steering rack on thier LCG? Mine seems to have a fair bit of slop in it and causes the car to wander as if the steering is sticking at a point.

I dont think its a problem with the servo in the car as i've tried two different servo's and they both did the same thing. Can i shim the steering at all to remove the slop?

I should mention the steering is very free and smooth, and doesnt stick at all when there is no servo connected..
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

pcar I hope you are not planing on running carpet with this car...I do like Yokomos, But I dont care much for the LCG. Their are better shaft cars out their...The amount of flex this car has...wow
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default steering slop

Vortex,
The LCG steering always has a little slop...I found it to be a good thing.
but to cut down on it...
take a Qtip or an old blade and dab a bit of CA on the outside wall of the bearing...then place back into the steering plate..that will cut down on the slop..be careful not to use too much CA the bearing will be useless if so...and too much CA will make removal a mother...

Be sure not to overtighten the steering plate screws. I also tried different shims under the bearings.

just a few ideas, if I remember there were a few others trying different things on this thread.

Last edited by olhipster1; 08-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by olhipster1
Vortex,
The LCG steering always has a little slop...I found it to be a good thing.
but to cut down on it...
take a Qtip or an old blade and dab a bit of CA on it..then place just a little on the bearing before placing in the steering plate..that will cut down on the slop..be careful not to use too much CA the bearing will be useless if so.

Be sure not to overtighten the steering plate screws. I also tried different shims under the bearings.

just a few ideas, if I remember there were a few others trying different things on this thread.
Thanks, yeah I saw that it was the steering plate that was rocking back and forth. I'd hate to give up on the car but I ran it back to back with a new Masami Editon BD yesterday and it really dissapointed me compared to the BDM.

I tried different shims on top of the bearings, I'll give those tips a shot though and see how I go.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default shims

try different shims under the bearings....if you don't use it under.the plate will have too much friction.
makes a big difference.
ohh..almost forgot....the steering plate with the ackerman was a must for me...i didn't have the right amount of steering until i got that...but that was more for my driving style..punch and shoot.

I actually better lap times with my LCG than my BD...when i had it of course.
it took a little modifications to the setup...but pretty much stayed close to the BD setup...less rear toe.. and lower shock oil help with the flex on med-traction tracks.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

ohh..almost forgot....the steering plate with the ackerman was a must for me...i didn't have the right amount of steering until i got that...
Thanks for the tip. Would you happen to have a part number handy?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

here ya go, from Speedtechrc....they are out of stock..but try Yokomo USA they seem to have a bit of LCG parts now.

SD-202L15 - Yokomo Upgrade aluminum steering bellcrank for SD LCG. with 1.5mm ackerman adjustment.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks very much, i'll keep an eye out for one.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxxkat
pcar I hope you are not planing on running carpet with this car...I do like Yokomos, But I dont care much for the LCG. Their are better shaft cars out their...The amount of flex this car has...wow
I'd like to make the car work on asphalt and carpet. I won't be letting my T2 go just yet though. Have not even started to build the LCG yet, it's probably gonna see carpet first. Has anyone had any success running this chassis on the rug?
Old 08-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by pcar951
I'd like to make the car work on asphalt and carpet. I won't be letting my T2 go just yet though. Have not even started to build the LCG yet, it's probably gonna see carpet first. Has anyone had any success running this chassis on the rug?
I can tell you right now that this car has way to much FLEX to be consistently fast on carpet, I really doubt that two many guys would be fast with the LCG as you put it together stock from the box. One of the problems I see with the car (for carpet) is the stock chassis is to thin, The top deck has to many mounting points and that equals to much flex. On a low traction asphalt track this car will work and this is what the car was designed for. I would think that a CGM with a few hop ups would be better for carpet, Yokomo has a few other versions that would work better. I tried using a Rayspeed chassis with LCG bulkheads and the stock LCG top deck, It did seem to cut down on the flex, But it still had to much for it to really work well on carpet with foams. Once you put the car together you will know just what I'm talking about. If I remember right this is the reason why olhipster1 got rid of his... FLEX and carpet don't mix well.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default flex

the lcg on carpet is a tough job to setup.
it does have a lot flex...
but i can be made to work...i used a very soft setup (low oil weight) in the shocks..
if you're racing on a tight technical track on carpet/foams you might have to play with setup...
but if it's a fast flow carpet track the LCG will be fine.
I did have a home made top deck about 3.5 mm ...worked very well. in reducing flex.
But the car does have all the stuff to make a top performer.

I will say I learned a lot about setup with the LCG....you'll really get a grasp of the dynamics having to make slight modification to make the car work on carpet.

Above all else...just have fun racing the car.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Tech Lord

the lcg on carpet is a tough job to setup.
it does have a lot flex...
but i can be made to work...i used a very soft setup (low oil weight) in the shocks..
if you're racing on a tight technical track on carpet/foams you might have to play with setup...
but if it's a fast flow carpet track the LCG will be fine.
I did have a home made top deck about 3.5 mm ...worked very well. in reducing flex.
But the car does have all the stuff to make a top performer.

I will say I learned a lot about setup with the LCG....you'll really get a grasp of the dynamics having to make slight modification to make the car work on carpet.

Above all else...just have fun racing the car.
I just wish that I would have had more information on how this car is or was when I bought mine. I don't think the LCG is very good at all but it's just an opinion. I don't think I should have to re engineer the car, (Also just an opinion)...Not when it cost over $425! Their are other Shaft cars out their that work and a few of them are Yokomos, Just NOT the LCG. I'll stick with the BD...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

What type of problems were you encountering on carpet? Roll center and camber adjustments are effective if there's too much traction which is what I'd expect of a mushy chassis on carpet but...... Yokomo also has some optional stand offs for the steering posts that are supposed to increase rigidity?? Hope I havn't crawled into a bag of snakes here, I was just looking for a more efficient car for stock and 19 asphalt and carpet.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you run the foam with the LCG then it is going to be hard.
I remember my LCG was traction rolling and flipping over with the optional long steering post. This is with high traction carpet at a high speed switch back.

Not sure about rubber tire on carpet.. well try this weekend.

I just think we need a thicker chassis for the LCG to run on carpet properly.
unitl someone help us with a custom carpet chassis.. my LCG will be running only on the asphalt.

~Ming
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

I understand that the LCG chassis is basically the same as the BD. Does that mean that the same flex problems exist on the BD too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.