R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   gonna make my sticks into saddles (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/141154-gonna-make-my-sticks-into-saddles.html)

TRFTIM 12-20-2006 09:20 AM

gonna make my sticks into saddles

How would you check each individual cell so that i dont make a duff pack??

hierog 12-20-2006 10:08 AM

use a CTX-D V2

TRFTIM 12-20-2006 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by hierog
use a CTX-D V2

WTF is that lol*

edit

errrm for 244 dollars id rather buy a new set of cells

I was thinking of charging all the cells and then dismantling them and putting a multi meter on all of them and seeing if the Voltage varies.

What do u reckon

Itchy 12-20-2006 12:32 PM

On really old cells, u can get way with a +20A discharger and a multimeter. I just did that with 3 old packs of Sanyo 3000HV and a GM commander.

It will take forever, and you will regret it, but is possible.

My advice is: Charge the whole pack, and only then disassemble it for discharge (most comon chargers have hard time charging only 1 cell).

Use at least 20 amp discharger. Some old cells will discharge easily a simple bulb, but droop to .5v under high load.

label all the cells and take note of performance values (ie: voltage after 1 min, voltage after 2min, ....)

after reassembling the cells, equalize the packs before charging.

TRFTIM 12-20-2006 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Itchy
On really old cells, u can get way with a +20A discharger and a multimeter. I just did that with 3 old packs of Sanyo 3000HV and a GM commander.

It will take forever, and you will regret it, but is possible.

My advice is: Charge the whole pack, and only then disassemble it for discharge (most comon chargers have hard time charging only 1 cell).

Use at least 20 amp discharger. Some old cells will discharge easily a simple bulb, but droop to .5v under high load.

label all the cells and take note of performance values (ie: voltage after 1 min, voltage after 2min, ....)

after reassembling the cells, equalize the packs before charging.

Thanks Itchy great help

So if i understand I need to charge the pack completely then dissasemble.

Then I get 1 cell and put it under a 20 amp discharge and read the voltage after 1 MIN 2 min etc etc the cell with the best voltage after time given is the best cell to put in my pack.

Is there a cut off limit for NICad cells ie 0.9v?

And finally does a Novak smart tray really work better than a standard equalizing tray?

Iceracer 12-20-2006 01:59 PM

The smart tray stops discharging a cell in the pack once it reaches the limit you set 0.0 to 0.9 volts. A standard bulb tray like a Trinity Heavy Metal, keeps discharging all the cells unless you manually interupt the discharging of a particular cell.

I went with the smart tray because I want to be able to accurately gauge the voltage I have discharged to, bulbs are too inconsistent, and secondly to be able to walk away and not have to babysit the pack. If it cuts off automatically, they become equalized. Otherwise, they are only equal if you let them all run down to zero volts. If you drop an IB nimh 3800-4200 cell below 0.9 you may damage it.

Your cells are nicad or nimh?

Personally, I would charge them, and then test their voltage under load (20-30 amps) to see if any cells are weak.

Itchy 12-21-2006 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Iceracer

Personally, I would charge them, and then test their voltage under load (20-30 amps) to see if any cells are weak.

If the objective is just to find the really bad cells, itīs the fastest and easiest way ;)

Nicads can be discharged to 0v: just wach for cell reversal :P

TRFTIM 12-21-2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Itchy
If the objective is just to find the really bad cells, itīs the fastest and easiest way ;)

Nicads can be discharged to 0v: just wach for cell reversal :P

All my cells are 2400 NIcads.