Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Question about Charging on ICE (FALSE PEAKS) >

Question about Charging on ICE (FALSE PEAKS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Charging on ICE (FALSE PEAKS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default Question about Charging on ICE (FALSE PEAKS)

I just bought a matched 6 cell IB4200 pack, and I ran it about 3 times total prior to today...So today was my race day, I charge it up for the first heat and no problem, after the heat I discharge with my Reactor 20 and then let it cool a little and throw it on my ICE charger, and after about 4-5 mins ice said that it peaked...I restarted and about 5 minutes or so later it did it again, I looked at the graph on the ice screen and noticed that there were a TON of spikes on it...It false peaked about 5 times during the charge...After the second heat and preparing for the main I discharged the pack again and then put it back on the charger, got one false peak after about 5 mins and then it finished up ok...Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem here, I tried my ice on other batteries in between and they worked fine (graphs were smooth) PLease any help that you can provide would be greatly appretiated
Old 12-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Did you try a higher delta peak? Maybe a cell is going bad. You can try to discharge the pack, then use a meter on each cell to see if there is a weak one. Are you sure all cells are being fully discharged?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Tech Initiate

It is quite common for the ICE to misfunction
but if your other packs are charging fine then it must be something to do with your 4200s.
1 cell could be stuffed that screws all the rest and also the new intellects do not like to be discharged more than .9 v per cell other wise it stuffs them, have you gone more than this?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My two cents, I don't totally discharge my IB's between heats. I use the temp sensor and set my delta peak to top off at as close to 125 degrees as possible.(about 7mila amps) at the end of the nights use I discharge on my spintech battery manager. Never have had a false peak to date.Batteries are allways very stong for heats and the main
Old 12-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

don't forget there is a "peak lock-out" function on the ice...I think it defaults to 3 or 4 mins - but can be set to 10 minutes...

I didn't notice this feature the first couple of times i used my ICE - once I found it, I set it to the max for all my profiles
Old 12-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

I didn't take the cells lower than .9, I used the integy reactor until the lights went then let it cool and then charged it...Hopefully a cell isent bad since I only used the pack 3 times...That would be terrible lol...I tried other stick pack 4200s on the charger in between charges of the matched cell and it did not false peak at all...Any idea? what I should do?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NZ Xray Racer

Maybe for you...
Old 12-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

the integy indi isnt considered as an equalizing/discharger unit. You need a tray and use it before charging.

by the way the indi will put the voltage below .9v incase you dont know. i just use it for 2-3 mins. then continue the process on my equalizing tray.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I'd tray the pack, let it rest, then take a meter and read each cell. If one cell reads lower than all the rest you know its a bad cell. You can replace it with a new cell, but the pack wont be matched anymore. My bet is a bad cell from what you are describing.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
tc4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have used my ICE on many different types of batteries and it has never misfunctioned.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had a buddy of mine's brand new Ice do that the other week. We did a couple of things to fix it. First he was running the tamiya plug with the aligator clips and the large aligator clips going to the power supply. I go rid of both of those. The problem was fixed. He does not tray his batteries before charging and I think that is where most of the problem is. The sloppy connectrions just amplified the problem some. He now trays them and has no problems. So check your connections and get a battery tray to take each cell to .9volts. I've had my Ice for a year and have never had a problem, but I do tray my batteries before charging.

Hope that helps.

John
Old 12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

My problem is that the pack looks like this one http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=SUM4200B

It has clear shrink rap covering the battery bars, do you guys think it would be alright to simply cut away the shrink rap? Thanks and please let me know what you think Jeff
Also do you think the Trinity DPD would do the job (the tray part) if I used that to get the cells down to .9 each(assuming if i cut the rap off the pack)? I am considering purchasing the DPD...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

What is a good tray out there to use?

Kevin
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeffbhhs
I didn't take the cells lower than .9, I used the integy reactor until the lights went then let it cool and then charged it...Hopefully a cell isent bad since I only used the pack 3 times...That would be terrible lol...I tried other stick pack 4200s on the charger in between charges of the matched cell and it did not false peak at all...Any idea? what I should do?
The indy is not good for discharging. It will bring other cells down below .9v even though it cuts off at 5.4v for the whole pack. Buy a cheap tray like novak smart or you'll ruin your cells. My ice rarely false peaked compared to my eagle cdc.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Adept

I think I am gonna buy the Trinity DPD, but for now would the ICE be any better to discharge at 10amps with? I mean would this be better than the indi reactor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.