Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion Platinum Battery Bars + 2.5 AG(Silver) content Solder = ??? >

Team Orion Platinum Battery Bars + 2.5 AG(Silver) content Solder = ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Anybody tried this config?? Is there any more better config? Any comments, please share...

Last edited by bruisedwillis; 02-27-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Personally I think copper bars and regular solder works just fine, I don't think you'll notice any performance increase using platinum bars and silver solder.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Even though there is no noticeable advantage/disadvantage, I personally prefer using platinum bars because they will never stain! Always looks nice and shiny!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

I think the IR will drop....anyone agree? If it really drops..i believe it will impact the performance
Old 02-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Copper bars and 60/40 works fine, main thing is to make sure there's no solder between the bar and cell. Plus, use the least amount of solder you can.
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion Platinum Battery Bars + 2.5 AG(Silver) content Solder = ???-umh.jpg  
Old 02-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

do you guys use dremel to get rid of the surface coating on top of the battery connection?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

I don't. Never have. What coating are you talking about?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

normally solder will not stick to the surface of battery, you need to scrap off the metal surface coating on the battery. and by doing that it will have a better bonding with the battery bars.

Last edited by bruisedwillis; 02-27-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:39 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Team Orion Platinum Battery Bars + 2.5 AG(Silver) content Solder = ???

Originally posted by bruisedwillis
Anybody tried this config?? Is there any more better config? Any comments, please share...
I have a couple of packs using this combination. Can't say I noticed any difference!
Old 02-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Default solder between the bar and cell

Originally posted by proudwinner
Copper bars and 60/40 works fine, main thing is to make sure there's no solder between the bar and cell. Plus, use the least amount of solder you can.
Every set of instructions I've seen recommends Tinning the battery posts before soldering. What advantage (if any) is there in having the bar contact the post directly. I would think that would leave the surface open to contamination between the two.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

popsracer, not these instructions nascart.com/battery The solder is there to just hold the bar to the cell for contact, you can pre-tin the bar and cell as long as you don't use too much solder as that will just create more resistance between the pack

Last edited by webspinner; 02-28-2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

I do believe that copper has lower resistance than silver. The only reason for silver is that it doen's tarnish (rust). Tarnished copper has obviously higher resistance.

I think this is the reason for use of silver in brushes, it is more abrasive on the com, therefore it wears the com exposing new untarnished copper and depositing some of itself to the comm, helping to increase conductivity.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Silver has lower resistance than copper and that is why they put it in the brushes. Platinum has higher resistance than silver or copper so the I.R should go up.

A study was done comparing end-to-end connection of cells in packs. One method was just the mechanical connection of pressing the cells together and the second method was to solder the cells together. The study showed that the soldered connection had lower resistance. The theory is that they believe the solder fills in the cracks and gaps between the connection providing more area for the current to flow. With a good, clean solder joint, you still have the physical connection, but the solder fills in the rest.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default Equals wasted money

Platinum has a higher resistance than Gold, Silver, Copper, and even Aluminum!

It is a marketing gimmick to get ignorant people that think "Hmmm Platinum it must be better" to spend more money.

As far as the silver solder goes it only has 2.5% silver in it...do you really think that 2.5% can do much at all to reduce the resistance? Actually most silver solder is made of silver and antimony....mostly antimony. Antimony has a higher resistance than lead or tin so its quite possible that silver solder has a higher resistance than regular solder. Silver solder wasnt made to decrease resistance, it was made to make a stronger mechanical connection.

Your best bet is to get silver plated copper bars, the resistance of silver and copper are very very close, the reason for the silver is for corrosion protection. The reason good stereo plugs etc use gold is that it has very good resistance to wear and corrosion.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Battery Bar plating

The SOLE reason Gold plating is used in the Aerospace industry is it's resistance to corrosion.
I used to use 2.5 AG solder but switched to regular solder because of the ease of soldering and resoldering. I have not noticed any performance differences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.