Delta Peak ?

Old 12-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Delta Peak ?

i have a APS Dynocharge battery charger and i there is an option in the charging mode called Delta Peak what should that be set at for my batteries.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What kind of batts are you charging? and how old are they? are they used often or have they sat for a while?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

If your batteries are 6 side by side, start at 10mv Delta Peak. That should give you a bit over 4000 mAh at about 9.0 volts (for 3800 batteries). No expert but that is what I've been told.

Victor
Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

they are side by side 3800's and 4200's. right now i'm charging the 4200's at 6.5 amps. and the 38's at 6.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Rookie

when i was running at the track the other day my 3800's where charging and they stopped at 4000 milliamps. i have my cut off at 4000 is this right? should i raise my cut off am i not getting enough of a charger or is this too much?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are running newer batteries then I would start at 5 mv and work my way up if they false peak. Some of my older practice packs have to be set at 9mv or above or they false peak

The higher the setting the hotter the battery will be when it comes off the charger, and it will loose a bit of voltage on the curve downwards, so try to set the peak detect value as small as you can reliably get it

As for your capacity question, many cells will surpass there advertisied mah capacity especially if brand new. If the pack doesnt have excessive heat I would raise your limit, especially if your pack voltage is still raising during the charge. I would monitor pretty close your first few charges past your 4k limit and make sure you arent overheating the pack
Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

i believe when i got the charger it was set for 70mv. what is that going to do if it's too high? is it going to get too hot?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

If the peak cutoff is set too high the pack can overheat. I dont know if your charger cuts off at max battery capacity or not the instructions werent clear. If it does set this just a little more than the capacity of your cells to use as a failsafe to prevent overcharging if the peak detect fails for some reason. Your charger sets the peak per pack not per cell like some chargers. Mine for a 6 cell pack is set at 3mv per cell wich on yours would be 18mv, 6 cells X3 =18mv. I would start there and use the temperature probe for your charger with a cutoff of 120F to 130F. enable both the peak cutoff and the temperature cutoff. If your pack peaks first before the temperature reaches at least 120F raise your peak cutoff a notch wich in your case would be by 6mv up to 24mv. And restart the charger again. Do this till you reach the right temperature to find the optimum peak setting for your charger. I read the dynochargers instructions and i didnt see where they recomended a good starting point so start at the low and work your way up.