Search

Discharging what rate is better .9 or .0

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Discharging what rate is better .9 or .0

I recently started with a DPD and now have an integy 30 which will drain to .0

I can set the DPD to what rate I want but I am really interested to know if the cell benefits more by .0 or .9

What's your spin on discharging???
Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

If you are using IB cells never discharge to .0V per cell, this can wreck your packs. With the older GP3300's and 3700's I have taken them to .0V with no real issues and actually felt that doing it every now and then breathed a little life back into my practice packs! just my 2 cents!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

I am actually using IB 4200 cells from Maxamps. I have only been using the DPD and bringing them down to .9

The cells have been getting stronger it seems with every race. I discharge after the race and then put 1000MAH in the cells afterwards for storage until the next race.

If I decide to use the Inegy discharger you think it will harm or damge the cells...?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcrunchone
I am actually using IB 4200 cells from Maxamps. I have only been using the DPD and bringing them down to .9

The cells have been getting stronger it seems with every race. I discharge after the race and then put 1000MAH in the cells afterwards for storage until the next race.

If I decide to use the Inegy discharger you think it will harm or damge the cells...?

yes, it will hurt the ib cells. Keep it at .9 to get the most life and power out of your packs.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Don't you only want to dead charge (discharge to 0) when they haven't been used in a long time? Is that what it's called? Dead charge? I forget, I been outta the scene for awhile. I remember I bought the SmartTray because it didn't discharge to 0.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

If this is the case that means that I picked up the Integy charger and wasted a little bit of cash. I will end up selling it I guess, because the last thing that I want to do is harm the cells.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Michael Barch
Don't you only want to dead charge (discharge to 0) when they haven't been used in a long time? Is that what it's called? Dead charge? I forget, I been outta the scene for awhile. I remember I bought the SmartTray because it didn't discharge to 0.
Deadshort is what you mean. And you can with the GP cells but not recommended at all under any circumstance with the IB cells.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

So here is another question if I use the Integy discharger to shorten the length of time the DPD takes to discharge and remove them prior to the light going out on the cells and then place them in the DPD for balancing and discharge the rest of the cell....? ?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use the 0-30 to take the charge down( till the lamps are dimly lit) then I put it on the Smart Tray. I have'nt had any problems yet with my IB 4200's. So dont put it on Ebay yet. Come check me at my pit space on Sunday if you have any questions.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

if you go to 0 you will hurt the cells,after you run discharge at 30 pdch then after the pack has cooled put 500 to 1000 sec back in them,to see if you have dead cells(and some ppl dont even know they have dead cells) when you go to discharge your packs and charge for racing (for some a week later) on a muchmore discharger see what the volts are on each cell,you may see somthing you wont like.if the volts are below .9 or if there siting at 0 the cell is dead,but it will charge and you can run it but it will be a little less punchy and have less top speed. you may think its just you motor or somthing.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

What if I discharge the cells down to about 0.7volts per cell???

Would that be ok???
Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would keep the IB cells away from the 0-30. Who watches there discharger to see when the lights go out, not me. I used to have a 0-30 till I borrowed a buddy's turbomatcher and rematched my cells. Lets just say they all went to radio shack recycle bin. It worked great on my old 3300's and 3700's.

So I've decided to just go lipo and buy 6 cell packs for big races. I discharge them now on my Ice and every so often I will use a buddy's DPD.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dreddlox
I use the 0-30 to take the charge down( till the lamps are dimly lit) then I put it on the Smart Tray. I have'nt had any problems yet with my IB 4200's. So dont put it on Ebay yet. Come check me at my pit space on Sunday if you have any questions.
I will start doing that now that I have heard from you and the battery DOC. That equalizing the cells are more important as long as I dont take the cell below .5 it has been stated that my cells will be ok....

So I will check you out this week at the trophy race Dreddlox, thanks again for all the help that gearing from you and your brother put me on track. See you Sunday for sure....
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dead shorting (discharging down to 0v) was something done to 3300 and 3700 cells for more punch (higher average discharge voltage) but it destroyed run time! It also shortened the life of those cells.

DO NOT DEAD SHORT 3800 OR HIGHER CELLS!!! You will damage them. And I have seen where you shouldn't discharge them past 1.2v. I believe you're still running 1/12, so run time is still a factor. Don't kill your cells looking for just a little more speed.

For better advice ask Mike or Gavin.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
What if I discharge the cells down to about 0.7volts per cell???

Would that be ok???
you will still hurt them,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.