R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   A flex story + Pro2's first track time (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/14031-flex-story-pro2s-first-track-time.html)

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 03:33 AM

A flex story + Pro2's first track time

Last night, I tried my virgin HPI Pro2 for the first time. Before that, I've raced a Sport2 for around 2½ year.

It was a nice feeling to setup the car on the clubs setup system, before putting it on the track. A moment with a little excitement and a feeling of having control, while making the last preparations... Sweet !

One could say it should be easy, since the cars basically are the same. But the new car is a lot stiffer, got a lot less slop and ball diffs, which I'm not used to. Not to mention the fact, that the Sport2 was well used.

I started out with a practise pack, which aint actually the fastest I got. I slowly started the car. Felt good. Speeded up a little. Still felt good. Speeded more up, the tires was warmed up... Full speed. Wow. What a wonderful feeling, the car was a little quicker on acceleration, but the amazing part was the handling. Much more pricise and quick reactions to even small adjustment. My best battery pack was even better.

The setup I used, was almost the same as the one on my Sport2, except it was without a one-way pulley and the diffs was alittle looser than the gear diffs. And there was more droop.

What amazed me, was that this setup worked very well on the Sport2 including a one-way diff. It seems to me that the softer chassis has the rear end better planted. It was also a good surprice, that the Pro2 was more directly responding to steering / throttle input - even without a one-way. Okay, the Pro2 didnt got the same ability to tight cornering as the Sport2 with a one-way pulley, but it was really nice.

Next step was to mount a one-way diff. Yeeeha. That acceleration out of the corners. The rear became a little loose. Unfortunately I ran out of time, so I have to wait a week, before I can solve that little problem.

Once I've solved the handling issues, I still have to mount graphite diff hubs (when they arrive) and I still have my fastest motor in reserve. I'll also want to try different one-ways combinations. It's a happy time of waiting...

spitfire 02-27-2003 03:53 AM

sounds like fun COle.. I just purchased a Pro 2. sounds like i picked a decent one :nod:

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 04:13 AM

At my opinion, yes, you've picked a good car.

By the way, who needs bells and whistles, what matters are fun at the club and the track ! And the Pro2 are able to give you that...

spitfire 02-27-2003 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
At my opinion, yes, you've picked a good car.

By the way, who needs bells and whistles, what matters are fun at the club and the track ! And the Pro2 are able to give you that...

lol well ya, but i bought it that way. :nod: and its ma first one

popsracer 02-27-2003 08:32 AM

Cole Trickle;

I noticed the same thing when I stiffened up the chassis on my Pro-3. The rear end got loose, nothing I haven't been able to take care of, but I finally had to remove my Front 1-way that worked so well with the flexy stock chassis.

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 11:52 AM

Re: Cole Trickle;

Originally posted by popsracer
I noticed the same thing when I stiffened up the chassis on my Pro-3. The rear end got loose, nothing I haven't been able to take care of, but I finally had to remove my Front 1-way that worked so well with the flexy stock chassis.
Interesting.

I've been through the process once with my one-way pulley, and my current rear-end slide, aint more worse, than I believe I can work it out. I'll see.... But I have to admit, that I'm surprised to see how much more effective a one-way diff are compared to a ditto pulley.

One thing came to mind, maybe you should try out a one-way pulley. It aint got that nice traction out of turns, but it certainly do help a lot about taking tight turns. The one-way pulley aint as dramatic as a diff, so it's easier to get used to. Another benefit from the one-way pulley, is that one still can use a light weight ball diff in the front... Those one-way diffs are quite heavy. Mine weighs 25 grams.

Actually, I see the combo of a one-way pulley and light weight ball diffs as an advantage compared to shaft-driven cars, where you cant get one-way pulleys....

LaxRacer 02-27-2003 03:23 PM

Cole Congrats on the move up.

But I always called your "sport2" the Pro2 Cole Trickle edition ... heheheheh :D

You have renched enough on the sport 2 that the Pro 2 setup tweaking should be a sinch for yah.

I just got word that The Old Pro2 might be needed to beat back some Pro3 whipper snappers next weekend.

C

rc-zombies 02-27-2003 03:57 PM

When I talked to Hara a long while ago when the Pro3 was just released... he said he would rather drive the Pro2 over the Pro3:)

The Pro4 is now coming! can't wait. :D

popsracer 02-27-2003 05:52 PM

talking to Hara

Funny, when I talked to him, He said that the Pro-2 was a really good car but the Pro-3 was a nice car also. When I asked him which one he preferred and he said "I don't know" with a big smile. I got the feeling that he really like the P-2 better, but didn't want to put down the car he was campaigning P-3. I've met Hara twice, once at our (now closed) local track and last year at the Hitec race. Very nice, quiet, soft spoken young man.

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 10:30 PM

Originally posted by LaxRacer
But I always called your "sport2" the Pro2 Cole Trickle edition ... heheheheh :D

C

Thanks. :cool:

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 10:33 PM

Originally posted by LaxRacer
You have renched enough on the sport 2 that the Pro 2 setup tweaking should be a sinch for yah.

C

True. Actually, this is the only downside by getting a Pro2, instead of the Mission which I wanted the most. It would have be more challenging with a Mission. However, the Pro2 price suited my budget much better.

Cole Trickle 02-27-2003 10:36 PM

Re: talking to Hara

Originally posted by popsracer
Funny, when I talked to him, He said that the Pro-2 was a really good car but the Pro-3 was a nice car also. When I asked him which one he preferred and he said "I don't know" with a big smile. I got the feeling that he really like the P-2 better, but didn't want to put down the car he was campaigning P-3. I've met Hara twice, once at our (now closed) local track and last year at the Hitec race. Very nice, quiet, soft spoken young man.
I've never met Hara. But the japanese guys I've been talking to, have always been very, very softspoken. It's hard to get a hard a hard statement from a japanese. Not that is is a bad thing, and not to offend anyone, it's just a comment.

Tom 02-28-2003 02:45 AM

i run a pro 2 aswell and think its a good car

i heared lots of people say they liked the one way pully better then the diff

however i have neither so run full 4wd. the car is just as fast as others at my clube such as losi, xray and so on.

one thing to look at is the front shock position, i use the inner hole as the outer binds on the wheel. this allows more steering lock.

Cole Trickle 02-28-2003 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Tom
one thing to look at is the front shock position, i use the inner hole as the outer binds on the wheel. this allows more steering lock.
I dont think turning the front wheels even more in itself gains more steering. If there aint enough grip and the wheels turns even more, the car will simply push, instead of chaning direction. It's more due to the shocks stand more up, this will make the suspension a little softer, thus gaining extra grip.

Nice to hear that others still run the Pro2 and are happy with it.

popsracer 02-28-2003 08:55 AM

Re: Re: talking to Hara

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I've never met Hara. But the japanese guys I've been talking to, have always been very, very softspoken. It's hard to get a hard a hard statement from a japanese. Not that is is a bad thing, and not to offend anyone, it's just a comment.
The company that I used to work for was Japanese owned and they always had several of their people working in our plant. It was always a problem getting direct answers about research or development problems. There were just some things that they didn't want to share with us even though we were working for the same parent company.
The first time I met Hara, Unimo (sp?) was with him. At the Hitec race, he was sitting with Thad Garner and the rest of the HPI crew. (I have a Friend that works for HPI)