Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
A quick battery question...Old "NEW" 3000 Mah batteries... >

A quick battery question...Old "NEW" 3000 Mah batteries...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

I have just got a couple of packs for around the backyard fun, they are Team Orion 3000mah Super Duty plus packs from Stormer Hobbies.

Now they're obviously new in that they have never been used before but god knows how long they've sat on the shelf so they are probably years old.

Anyway I just put them both on charge at 5 amps and they got warm during the charge, but they only took 10 minutes approximately and on the discharger (17.5 amp) only lasted less than 2 minutes to get down to 5.4 volts.

Are they dead from the word go or does it take a couple of charges to come right?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
I have just got a couple of packs for around the backyard fun, they are Team Orion 3000mah Super Duty plus packs from Stormer Hobbies.

Now they're obviously new in that they have never been used before but god knows how long they've sat on the shelf so they are probably years old.

Anyway I just put them both on charge at 5 amps and they got warm during the charge, but they only took 10 minutes approximately and on the discharger (17.5 amp) only lasted less than 2 minutes to get down to 5.4 volts.

Are they dead from the word go or does it take a couple of charges to come right?

Thanks in advance
cycle them a couple of times.... what I do to make them alive is discharge them slowly (1A), charge one time slowly, at 300 mah.... then, discharge at 1A and charge at 4A.... if they didnīt reach full capacity (or close), discharge and charge again with 1A..... and repeat from step 3 has worked for a 3200mah pack I have around for a year or so....
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I made the same mistake you did, some months ago. Bought 3 packs of Sanyo 3000 HV.

These nimh cells dont like to sit around not being used. I cicled them a couple of times and trayed them. They did get a a litle better after being on tray, but are still terrible cells. Max 2400 mha on charge. Runtime on track is about 4:00 with 12x2 motor. I have to gear up 2 tooths because they are so lame, motor is always cool.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Default Well it certainly appears as if these batteries.....

are worthless from the start. No matter what I try they only take about 5 minutes to charge and less than 2 minutes to discharge. When I did slow charge them at 1 amp it took about 4 hours and they got quite warm but still only took under two minutes to discharge.

I sent an email to Team Orion asking that they be replaced but have had no reply.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont know what kind of charger you have, but does it have a Long Lockout feature like the CE chargers?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Default It's just a....

Originally Posted by MManson
I dont know what kind of charger you have, but does it have a Long Lockout feature like the CE chargers?
Duratrax Digital Pulse charger with a charge current from .5-6.5 amps.