Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
need some recommendations on TC please :) >

need some recommendations on TC please :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need some recommendations on TC please :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would reccomend getting a Losi XXX-S if you are just starting out with on-road. Then, if you feel the need for an upgrade, try either the Losi JRX-S or the Losi JRX-S Type R. If you choose one brand and stick with it, the transition to new cars will be alot smoother.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Get the T2r, i have had pretty much every car on the market, from a TL-01 to a xray 007,

the T2r is super cheap, parts are easy to get a hold of and they are fantasticly easy to set up, more people are running xray these days, and for say $200 you can get a T2R, you seriously cannot go wrong,

people who are on here going, "dont listen to him" we are here to give one another advise, not to argue,

hope this helps
Old 12-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

You can laso get a brand new XXX-S for around $180. I'm not arguing, I'm just statingg that the losi cars are pwnful.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default What to get?

Consider this;

1) You said racing 19T indoors in the Toronto area. The only place to do this is Fastcats. They carry parts for Xray Tamiya and Corally in TC. This should narrow your choices on its' own unless you plan to do your own parts support(most expensive way to go)
2) This is the second season for the Corally chassis and it has been very competitive for the racers using it. However, this is the first I have heard of Corally in racing since I have been racing(3-1/2 years).
3) The Tamiya chassis has been updated 3 times at least in the last 3-1/2 years. Many of the parts for discontinued chassis' remain available and often hang in the shop for emergencies. I have seen many racers who touch the wall hard pick up while others continue racing after a crash. Not that it is brittle, but that it does seem to be unable to survive some of the extreme crashes the way some chassis do. The fast guys with these are very fast and they rarely "touch" the boards.
4) The Xray platform is on it's third chassis with some strong links between each version. This car seems to endure the most extreme crashes with the chassis seeming not to be the weakest link. ie electronics, batteries have broken long before anything on the chassis.

So, while considering the choices you have to make, my order of importance would be,
1 - LHS Parts support
2 - Likelihood of parts availability for on demand purchase
3 - extreme price differences in chassis types
4 - availability of parts support for obsolete chassis like TC3, 415, FK05, T2

Just my perpective
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

buy a hotbodies cyclone a used cyclone ore the more cheap version

1: parts is no issue because most of the parts also fit from the HPI pro 4
2: its porbently the most easy car to drive
3: its also very to setup and almost no tweak
4: its really really fast from the boks
5: there is alot of guys driving them

Buy a hotbodies ore a xray but the hotbodies is more easy to drive and setup

Rasmus
Old 12-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Xray for sure

Ditto what Todd said. Especially since it looks like you may run at Fast Cats, parts are plentiful for the Xray and honestly speaking, all of the Xray's are tanks. Grab an FK05 or T2 or T2R and one of us at the track can give you a killer set up. You could probably get an FK05 for around $200CDN or a T2 for under $300CDN and you won't need a shopping back worth of spares to go with it. I've run Xray for 3 years: Evo 2, FK04, T2 and T2'007---never broke even a knuckle. These cars are meant for foam/carpet and you wont' have to chase after setup or parts.

Fazal
Old 12-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey guys,

todd and fazal, thanks for the advice! for now, i've decided to go with 12th scale as i found a nice deal on a 12l3 with batteries. makes it easier for me to get into it and try onroad out. if i end up really liking it, i might make the step into tc next season and keep racing the l3 as well. thanks again guys, i appreciate it!!!

adam
Old 12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Hopefully someone elso out there that is serious about getting into Touring Car racing will see this thread and take the carefully worded advise.

Adam, take the time to visit your intended race track/club and see what others run.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FKhanro
Ditto what Todd said. Especially since it looks like you may run at Fast Cats, parts are plentiful for the Xray and honestly speaking, all of the Xray's are tanks. Grab an FK05 or T2 or T2R and one of us at the track can give you a killer set up. You could probably get an FK05 for around $200CDN or a T2 for under $300CDN and you won't need a shopping back worth of spares to go with it. I've run Xray for 3 years: Evo 2, FK04, T2 and T2'007---never broke even a knuckle. These cars are meant for foam/carpet and you wont' have to chase after setup or parts.

Fazal
Fazal should know... the dude is fast!

I just realized that I have had every XRay 1/10 TC except the T2. And to think I was boycotting them last year...pfft

Old 12-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

stay away from tc3, its parts will be discontinued in the very near future