Wiki Posts
Search

Motor tune questions and help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Motor tune questions and help??

Hello guys! I have a few questions about Stock motor!?? It seem like most of the good driver have the fastest motor on the track...I'm not sure what their secrets are..but..man...those guys are fast!

Any ways...I use trinity p2k2, now Monster Pro, and Fantom 404. I know that to cut the comm and change the brush..will help out. But still when I drive my car..it seem slow. Also..It seem like my car doesn't have any power comming out of the cornor at all...I gear my car down like 2 teeth alrady (I run FTTC3 w/104x33 or 72x24). My driving is not so bad...other than hitting stuff..but..I'm sure..it have some thing to do with the motor. Any one have any suggestions how to make my stock motor run like a mod (with out cheatting!)???
Old 02-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Oil your bushings.

Also, if you don't have good high voltage batteries and a decent speed controll, your car will be slow.

use brushes with a higher silver content. Try reedy 767.

Sounds like it is your batteries, and speed controll. Also, driving style. If you don't enter and exit turns correctly to carry speed, your acceleration will be bad.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool also

not sure but aligning your brush hood is supposed to be one of the biggest things you can do to tune a motor, also make sure your diff is free and not too tight or gritty..and lastly I agree with the battery suggestion..I have been able to beat some of those fast guy's when using a certain battery then I go out next time nothing changed for either of us and I am using a different battery and I can actually notice a power loss....keep checking your lap times when using different things such as batteries this I am told will help tell you how you are truly running
Old 02-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I think that Big Jim's site has a bunch of goood tips to make all motors all some serious but for the DIY'ers out there..

Big Jims Motor Forum

-Dave
Old 02-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here's the HP percentages:

50% battery
40% motor
10% drivetrain

These are all approximate, but batteries are probably the most important thing in HP.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Motor tune questions and help??

Originally posted by Axiom5B
Here's the HP percentages:

50% battery
40% motor
10% drivetrain

These are all approximate, but batteries are probably the most important thing in HP.
Axiom5B;

I'm going to have to agree with that too.

superk;

Make sure that you only charge your Battery packs at the track. Charge them the night before and they will be flat (High I.R.).
Old 02-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yha...I do charge them at the track. Here is what I use.

I run Factory Team TC3 (the tranny is free no binding at all)
Keyence V-Extreme ESC.
3300GP match pack 1.14 (use like 20 time)
Monster Power motor/P2k2/Fantom 404L
(I use 767 brush all the way)

I gear lit 72sper and 24pinion. but now I just change it to 64pitch 104sper and 33pinion. Any how..I feel that the car have a good run in the 1st min...but..after that..it flat out all the way. I can just drive the car full throttle almost the whole track after that 1st min.

I notice a friend of my bought a brand new motor and he hand it to the pro. (fastest guy on the track. He is also..one of the fastest guy out there in Canada) After he got the motor back...and put it in his car...and BOY!!! his car speed/tourg and lap time improve so much!!! any ways...I'm still learning..but I'm sure with a faster/more tourg motor will improve my lab time. Not lthat I'm a bad driver...but..I'm sure...it will help... may be with some improvement on my car setup and driving a bit cleaner will help me go faster.

By the way...I have CS-Electronic Motor Checker. But not sure how to read it yet. The only thing that I kow how to read is RPM. So...if any one know how to read the dyno..please let me know.

Thanks for all your help agian!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The most important thing is to make sure your car rolls through the corners good. Car set-up and driving is the most important speed secret. If you dont beleive me ask one of the fast guys at your track to switch motors with him/her and go run with them. If they are still faster work on driving/set-up if not ask them what they do to there motors or come back here and get some tips. Good Luck
Old 02-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here's a cause for your HP to get flat:
1. your driving line sucks and you're using much more power than you need to use to get through the corners fast. Also, if your car is setup bad, it may be scrubbing lots of speed in corners as weaponx said.

2. undergearing and overgearing both make motors hot. Undergearing a motor will make it keep a constant high rpm a lot more than normal. A motor draws lots of amps at high rpm, and that makes it hot.

3. have someone show you how to build a motor well. There is a lot more to motor tuning than cutting the comm and throwing new brushes in. Are you using the right springs for your motor?..ask around. Do you break it in? Low-voltage break-in is crucial to a fast motor. Comm cutting is also a skill that is acquired, if you're not cutting your comm right or not as good as you could, have someone show you the best way.

4. Sure the label on your batteries may say decent numbers, but if you haven't been taking good care of them, they probably suck by now. Make sure you discharge your batteries down to 5.40v for the pack after you use them, or if you dont have a discharger to do that, run them out until the car is crawling (literally).

Hope some of this stuff helps
Old 02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Helpful Suggestions:

Motor well cleaned, cut, brush fully seated, brush hood aligned and bushing lubricated.

Drivetrain bearings lubricated, spur to pinion good clearance.

Look for the best Gear ratio for your motor and the race track.

Correct car setup, which should be fast during corner entry and exit.

Eat the corners.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

maybe try some stiffer motor springs. The p2k2 comes with green and red, try some purples on both the neg and pos end to get extra torque. You will loos rpm but you can gear up a tooth or 2 to counter that.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

your motor is getting too hot

also, make sure the bushing are run in a bit, like you have tryed alot of motors and maybe sticking with one will run the bushings in a bit.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well...the heat might be the problem!! I have my heatsink block the motor cut out vent! that's is why....I thought ...it will help but..its not...

Also..I think I have been under gear it all along... 104 x 33 is low for the TC3. Some one told me to do 100 x 35 and it seem to give me more speed.

Now..I have to work on my driving!! LOL..

By the way just got a new MONSTER PRO!!and WOW! That thing rock!! with my 3300gp pack..it give me 34K RPM !! my best p2k2 is linly give me 31K rpm. LOL..
Old 02-28-2003, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Did you check the ESC yet? What if it isn't set up right and it's not getting full throttle? Or maybe the end points on your radio is dialed back?

-Leon