Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could try softer rear springs, harder front springs, more camber in the rear, leaning your rear shocks in on the top. Any of those should give you more rear traction. Also check to be sure your suspension blocks are mounted with the dots down.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yeah, blocks are down and I did lean the rear shocks all the way in the last time out and it was better. But the grub screw came out on the front spindle during the race, so I don't it it really helped not not.

I was thinking about doing the spring change front one step higher and rear lighter next time out. A harder front spring will give more steering correct?

This track has very little traction and I think is mill felt carpet so I'm kinda at a lose on what to try since I'm used to getting rid of traction.

Thanks for giving me some ideas to try.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Scrad
Yeah, blocks are down and I did lean the rear shocks all the way in the last time out and it was better. But the grub screw came out on the front spindle during the race, so I don't it it really helped not not.

I was thinking about doing the spring change front one step higher and rear lighter next time out. A harder front spring will give more steering correct?

This track has very little traction and I think is mill felt carpet so I'm kinda at a lose on what to try since I'm used to getting rid of traction.

Thanks for giving me some ideas to try.
Hey,
I found a few important things with the rear end on the PHI.
1. You need the new diff. and it needs to be silky smooth with no slip.
2. Make sure the backend does not bottom out! This can happen when accelerating out a corner or if the car rolls too much on corner entry and mid. (Get someone to look at your car and check if it rolls too much, very difficult to see while driving)
3. Harder front spring will take away steering but will increase steering response.

If the back is bottoming out on acceleration out a corner make rear spring harder. I know it sounds backward but it works. If the car rolls to much you need to play with roll center on rear.
After doing the above I had my PHI perfect under loose conditions.

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I got the diffs setup with the bearing mod. But the aren't the newest version. That helped the car out a lot.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by -showtime-
Yes, they are for the original phi not the 09.
Cool...any plans for a weight tray that would allow us to balance the car but still use tape on the batts? If not I can probably fabricate one on my own. I'm interested in picking up the kit...can't afford it right now though. Soon I hope.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

My 08 Phi has updated diffs and I need to rebuild them. Since they are different than the instructions I need some help...I believe it is the newer style diff that works much like a pan car diff. What size is the bearing used in the outdrive? Also what part number is the spring washers? Mine have gone rather flat.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Cool...any plans for a weight tray that would allow us to balance the car but still use tape on the batts? If not I can probably fabricate one on my own. I'm interested in picking up the kit...can't afford it right now though. Soon I hope.
No not at this time. You could probably use one of the hyperdrive plates that goes under the battery since it now sits directly over the cell slots.

I am working on some beefed up coupler clamps though, tired of bending them.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

What's the coupler clamps? I've taken some hard hits with my Phi...broke a front suspension arm and the screws on the rear arm mount and still haven't bent anything.

The plate won't work for me as my packs have bumps on the bottom to center the pack in the battery slots better. I've got a lot of extra graphite sitting around though, I imagine I could fashion a weight tray like the Xray one on my own.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

The coupler clamps are the suspension arm mounts. You might want to check them closely, if you bent the screws I would almost guarantee you bent the mount some, they are pretty weak.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

I've got Tamiya titanium screws there and they snapped...dunno why but I've always found the Tamiya titanium screws much weaker than other titanium ones. Probably a good thing in this case since the screws broke before the mounts bent.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

here is a little coupler clamp trick we did before changing to the 09 car. if you take the front couple clamps (standard) and mill off one of the nubs each... ie the front of each side. give you about 2 degree rear toe and just about solves the coupler clamp bending issue. the hole in the front coupler clamps are centered in the clamp and take a HECK OF A LOT More to bend.

just FYI....

PS the 08 is a great car but the 09.... awesome
Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MAD916

PS the 08 is a great car but the 09.... awesome
Everybody I've talked to likes the old car better. They especially hate the new suspension mounts.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I actually like the 09's suspension mounts compared to the coupler clamps. You can also run the straight arms on the 09.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

You will soon be able to run the straight arms on the old car also.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

have had all since the RDX. the 09 is so much better... they seem to keep a setup much better, they hold thier tweek so much better. the suspension mounts are great, no more coupler clamps, full lipos under the deck, and a ton more steering etc....

the phi is a great car but the 09 takes it even further

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.