Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CorallyUSA
Coming Soon......

Specialized RC will be releasing a LIPO adapter tray for the RDX Phi to accept batteries larger than 4000mah. Pictured with the SMC 5000mah LIPO and has room to spare. We have easily put the SMC 5000, Checkpoint 5400, Orion 4800 and CORE 5000 in the tray.

The tray also has cutouts to accept the Corally bolt on weights as well to assist with balancing. The production versions will be anodized black. It will be sold as a tray only, weights and battery strap not included. You also have the ability to tape the battery into the tray and eliminate the strap all together.

Estimated street price will be $40.

Jeff and Rob,

That achieves what I was doing with my Orion 3600s weight-wise; and, allows me to run the SMC 5000 lipo pack too. I'll take two trays ASAP please to start setting up for the IIC. You guys KNOW my credit card number...LOL!

Bill
Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HenBeav
why would you not want to run a bigger lipo? i run a smc 4000 28c to get best voltage and currrent output, i'd run a 5000 if it would fit.

also i would assume dynamic weight distubition would still be off since the heavy motor hangs out much father from the car centerline, and with the lightweight lipo hanging out its not going to offset the brushless motor.
You have to think about dynamic weight transfer as the ability to shift weight in one direction and have it rebound smoothly. Believe it or not, the motor is closer to the CG than you think. When you start putting things further away from center, that weight will want to pull vs rebound. Just think about how the suspension works. The further we push out the suspension the more roll we get. You go to far with it, what happens? You roll! This isn't new info I'm sure. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the chassis soooo narrow.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NickM
Drifter73, I'm really keen to see your solution. Would it be possible to get a picture? It'd be much appreciated. I'm battling with how to solve this weight problem myself at the moment for an SMC 4000, haven't come up with a good solution, and I can't picture what you have described.

TIA,
Nick.
I may post some picks in the next couple of days, but I want to talk to some peeps before I start giving away my idea.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
I don't exactly see the problem with the tray myself.. The weight is added towards the center of the car. The battery is way off set to balance the car.. It all seems pretty simple to me.. The battery has plenty of protection, and the piece is nicely machined.. Not exactly sure where the awfull thing comes in..

it must be me it looks like a bit of a compromise to me i would rather a pack of batteries fit in the car properly ie where they were designed to fit. if i rember corectly when the phi was realesd one of the features was narrow chassis design they have already made a motor mount for brushless to move the motor closer to the centre line so why on earth would you hang your batteries out the side it doesn't figure.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifter73
LIPO, regardless the size you will get 7.2v± and your resistance can very but not that much. Your mah size just means a bigger package which gives you more run time. The average I've been seeing is 5 minutes per 1,000mah. (5 minute races!)
False.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

What do you gain by using a larger 7.4v lipo?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

actually some of the larger packs are less expensive in price compared to the smaller packs that fit the phi I am currently using the orion and tekin packs that i had to slightly modify, this system looks pretty good to me and to be honest I dont think id be able to notice the difference on the weight balance
Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Capacity X C Rating = Available current.

More available current has less voltage sag under load, so you get more punch. Not every MFG uses the same method of determining C rating, but that's another discussion.

New tray looks good, when I get around to upgrading my packs i'll definately be picking one up.

-James
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Lord

They're still 7.2V.

There's a direct correlation between battery capacity and its average voltage during discharge. This is an undeniable fact that's evident in both NiMH and LiPo, and is easy to reproduce using equipment available to the masses (GFX).

What you're saying sounds really nice, but it's wrong. Sorry.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
They're still 7.2V.

There's a direct correlation between battery capacity and its average voltage during discharge. This is an undeniable fact that's evident in both NiMH and LiPo, and is easy to reproduce using equipment available to the masses (GFX).

What you're saying sounds really nice, but it's wrong. Sorry.
hey i got a gfx i can verify it for you
Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Lord

You know... there's something slightly satisfying about seeing you guys try to shoehorn a LiPo into the Phi after naysaying it early on, saying it was for "bashers." A little bit of forward thought in your car designs might not be such a bad idea after all.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You know... there's something slightly satisfying about seeing you guys try to shoehorn a LiPo into the Phi after naysaying it early on, saying it was for "bashers." A little bit of forward thought in your car designs might not be such a bad idea after all.
Has anyone tried putting some Team Orion 5300Mah SHO cells in the PHI? Its almost like the slots where cut for it, and the battery strap works and everything. I'm probably guessing, but the weight distribution must be pretty close too. I wonder if these cells will work in other cars too. LOL
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Don't hurt yourself trying to pat yourself on the back.

Lets not forget 2 years ago lipo was for bashers.......nimh was way faster on the track. Now that a bunch of companys jumped in we are seeing some very fast lipos being made.

Also the rest of the rc world is not racing with lipo yet. It seems to be starting in America.

2 years ago when the phi was released it was a pure racing machine.........built to get the most out of current equipment. And judging by its track record.........it did (does) what it should.

Fast forward 2 years and now we have some oversized lipo batts........of coarse they don't all fit......some of these packs are huge. Just for the record the trinity 3800 fits just fine and is sooooo fast. Also a bunch of other packs fit as well.....there just not as fast as the trinity packs.

So lets look at it this way.......Corally USA-specialized rc has given the customer what they wanted (a way to shoehorn a giant pack in a little car)
and that will have to tide us over till corally decides to make a new car which thankfully they don't do every 6 months like your precious blue car.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stuey
so why on earth would you hang your batteries out the side it doesn't figure.
Only because...they weigh tons less...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Josh H
Don't hurt yourself trying to pat yourself on the back.

Lets not forget 2 years ago lipo was for bashers.......nimh was way faster on the track. Now that a bunch of companys jumped in we are seeing some very fast lipos being made.

Also the rest of the rc world is not racing with lipo yet. It seems to be starting in America.

2 years ago when the phi was released it was a pure racing machine.........built to get the most out of current equipment. And judging by its track record.........it did (does) what it should.

Fast forward 2 years and now we have some oversized lipo batts........of coarse they don't all fit......some of these packs are huge. Just for the record the trinity 3800 fits just fine and is sooooo fast. Also a bunch of other packs fit as well.....there just not as fast as the trinity packs.

So lets look at it this way.......Corally USA-specialized rc has given the customer what they wanted (a way to shoehorn a giant pack in a little car)
and that will have to tide us over till corally decides to make a new car which thankfully they don't do every 6 months like your precious blue car.
I disapprove of you using well-reasoned facts to smack down my jab!

Now, back to my self-patting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.