Wiki Posts
Search

nitro conversion to electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro conversion to electric

hey guys
just wondering if a nitro rc car can be modifed to be an electric, has anyone tried this yet and succeeded, at the moment i have a cen CT4-s and i plan to covert to an electric car, can this be possible?, if so does anyone know where to get some information about conversion and also what things i need and where to start.

thx
Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Anything can be done, the real question is whether it is worth it.

In your case, probably not. Since there is not an electric version of the CEN you can borrow parts from, you will need to custom make a lot of stuff and you still won't have a very effective electric car.

Even if parts were available off the shelf you would need so many that it would be more cost effective to get a new car anyway.

So, my advice is, get an electric chassis (Tamiya TT01 is very affordable) and switch your CEN's radio gear across.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sosidge
Anything can be done, the real question is whether it is worth it.

In your case, probably not. Since there is not an electric version of the CEN you can borrow parts from, you will need to custom make a lot of stuff and you still won't have a very effective electric car.

Even if parts were available off the shelf you would need so many that it would be more cost effective to get a new car anyway.

So, my advice is, get an electric chassis (Tamiya TT01 is very affordable) and switch your CEN's radio gear across.

well in that case i better save up my money, also would you recommend that the cen radio , the orginal cen ones that come with a impact c 2 radio be an ok radio gear setup, if i get and ESC the throttle servo is not needed , but i got those one where the wires are intregrated into the circuit board and it doesnt have one of those clip ones , so what should i do buy new ones or modify the wires a bit? and would any problem arise.

thx
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

im going to be straight forward with you.. i would go save and upgrade everything that you have because if you buy cheap you buy twice as you are doing right now. cen products arent really up to par if you know what i mean so the electronics arent either.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DigitalNinja
hey guys
just wondering if a nitro rc car can be modifed to be an electric, has anyone tried this yet and succeeded, at the moment i have a cen CT4-s and i plan to covert to an electric car, can this be possible?, if so does anyone know where to get some information about conversion and also what things i need and where to start.

thx
it will be alot cheaper to get one of these instead of trying to convert the nitro car , also the nitro cars are 200mm and the electric cars are 190mm so your car will probably too wide.

try this for $120 you get all of this !! probably a better way to start in electric
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGVU6&P=7