Wiki Posts
Search

Early 90's on-road RC racing vid's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Early 90's on-road RC racing vid's

I found this video on You Tube, it shows some early 90's on-road RC racing. At time 2:40 it's the A-main on-road nats, looks like 10th pan. They were way fast back then, this kinda put the kabosh on any argument that TC's are too fast now

Instructions: Move arrow over "THIS" and push left button. Enjoy.

Note: Ignore the funny rap music.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

COOL
Old 12-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddesros2
They were way fast back then, this kinda put the kabosh on any argument that TC's are too fast now
Yea but pan cars took way more abuse than touring cars.

Can you imagine a 10L with IB4200's and a 9 turn?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

MAN THOSE WERE THE DAYS !
Old 12-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ddesros2
They were way fast back then, this kinda put the kabosh on any argument that TC's are too fast now
Uh...yeah. Just how much 1/10 pan racing do you see at the national or world level any longer? The speed was a big part of what killed the class--and no one wanted to go to 4-cells. Those of us who were there kinda see this TC "debate" as history repeating itself.

Scottrik
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Can you imagine a 10L with IB4200's and a 9 turn?
Crackle..."Tower, this is Associated 10L-3, I need clearance over on runway three..."

Scottrik
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
Crackle..."Tower, this is Associated 10L-3, I need clearance over on runway three..."

Scottrik
Yep, 6-cell 9T (or 7T even) Pan car, I think the moon is an easy goal...LOL
Old 12-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

The video was cool.... now if only someone could edit out the music.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

haha what a cawincedince(sp) I just put the first layer of paint on my body for my RC10L. Recently 5 of us in our club bought 1/10th pan cars and next saturday should be our first race with a 1/10th scale pan car. We are just gonna be running a 19t class though. One of the guys has a 4.5 that he's gonna put in it just for fun though. Oh and by the way great video!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Tech Lord

Uh...yeah. Just how much 1/10 pan racing do you see at the national or world level any longer? The speed was a big part of what killed the class--and no one wanted to go to 4-cells. Those of us who were there kinda see this TC "debate" as history repeating itself.

Scottrik
You think it was the speed? I thought it was 2 other things. First is they were 2 wheel drive, so even then you had to be careful with the throttle coming out of the turn. Second because they were pan cars they needed a absolutely flat surface, something you can't get at your average parking lot.

TC's are 4 wheel drive, so it's point and punch. And the full suspension opens up other places to run.

2 wheel drive touring car, now there's a challenge!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Scottrik
I've heard about some races where they were waaay too fast and would get airborne, becoming flying weapons. Head-high and going 50+ Perhaps 4C would have gave 10th pan a flying (ahem..) chance?

I got one for sale since it doesn't seem too popular locally. 12th scale is just right for me.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That video is a made up from a bunch of Florida State Series races and a few Nats that occured in FL. Check out www.fseara.org for details on the series.

On carpet the top mod sedan guys today are running as fast now as they did with pan cars.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default 10L

Thats a cool video.
I got my 10L back in the 90's.
Still got it.
In the mid 90's I ran it with a 15 quad and 7 cell ( panasonic 1700's ) around the vela drom here in Portland Or.. It's a 10 speed race track, with the big banks. We went through about 3 packs. Half way through the 3rd pack she caught air. About 25 feet of air. It only broke one body post when it came down.
A couple of years ago I ran it at our club race track with the Novak 5800 brushless and it was pretty fast with that.
There fun, I still have the car.
Thanks for bringing it up. You don't get to talk about them much anymore.

BigD, TeamWacko
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Tech Addict

Wow those aren't very fast by today's standards. The 1/12 mod class at the 93 nats would have a tough time keeping up with today's 19t 1/12 scales.

FWIW, I used to race 1/12 back then and while it seemed fast in the day, the new cars, motors and batteries are in another galaxy by comparison.

I think what killed 1/10 pan was the general hobby/sport death in the mid 90's. Except in certain regions, it has only been in the past few years that I have seen 1/12 scale becoming that popular again. Some of it is the 2wd ting and that all the racers want cars that are "easy" to drive so they all go 4wd touring. The simple truth is 1/12 scale is much easier to get working in a variety of conditions.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
You think it was the speed? I thought it was 2 other things. First is they were 2 wheel drive, so even then you had to be careful with the throttle coming out of the turn. Second because they were pan cars they needed a absolutely flat surface, something you can't get at your average parking lot.

TC's are 4 wheel drive, so it's point and punch. And the full suspension opens up other places to run.

2 wheel drive touring car, now there's a challenge!
Agree.
That and the fact they were a pain to drive on dirty tracks. Here in portugal there arenīt almost any indoor tracks, so its dificult to have the right contitions to play with these beasts.

I know thatīs the reason why i sold my beloved hpi pan car just a month ago. It's a great concept, but there's no competition anymore and i almost never used it.