R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Hudy Executive Automatic Comm Lathe (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/138970-hudy-executive-automatic-comm-lathe.html)

Lon_L 12-02-2006 01:03 PM

Hudy Executive Automatic Comm Lathe

Anyone have any experience with these? I am thinking of getting one. I really hate motor maintenance. Where I live now , Tony Ross does my motors for me, and does a great job. But I am moving to Fl and I will be on my own.

I like the idea of it being fully automatic, but how good does it really do?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks for any input.

stankulas 12-02-2006 01:35 PM

that one makes a nice cut. however it is a pain to setup and if you cut diffrent size arms you will have to keep setting it up. if you buy it you will regret for sure after 2 weeks. :flaming: buy a hudy manual one its cheaper and much easier to use. i still use the same one for 5 years. ( advance model). ;)

Lon_L 12-02-2006 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by stankulas
that one makes a nice cut. however it is a pain to setup and if you cut diffrent size arms you will have to keep setting it up. if you buy it you will regret for sure after 2 weeks. :flaming: buy a hudy manual one its cheaper and much easier to use. i still use the same one for 5 years. ( advance model). ;)

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have to do the setup each time you cut? or just when you change size?

stankulas 12-02-2006 01:48 PM

just when you change sizes but keep in mind that if you have say 2 stock motors that you run a night or want to get a few ready for a big race then they will all have diffrent sizes.

Mr. Shookie 12-02-2006 05:09 PM

Lonny,

Just get a normal comm lathe, the none auto one before you move and have Tony show you how..
He taught me forever ago. Its really not much to cut a comm to me anymore..Like 3 minutes total....
This is the one I use...
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...nid=131&id=252
and then I ordered one of these as it makes it so easy to setup for different motors...
http://www.hudy.net/eshop/products/p...4&kategoria=74

I know its pricey but you shouldn't ever need another lathe ever.

Hope that helps,
If Tony cannot show you I will....takes only minutes to learn all the tricks to get a really clean and straight cut.
-Shookie <><

Lon_L 12-02-2006 05:49 PM

Shook,

I have a Trinity Lathe now. I just hate doing it. that is why I always get Tony to do it for me. I figure if the auto lathes really work, atleast all I would have to do is throw the com on it and hit the button. that would be too bad. I just wish Hobby World in Fl (which will be my new local track) had a brushless class for touring car. they only run 19t, so I will have to deal with that. Now I run the brushless in my mod T2, and the 19t in one of my other T2's , and Tony has been hooking me up on the maintenance on it.

Funny though, dont know if you heard, last week we were racing 19t and his motor went up in smoke about 2 mins in, then about 1 min after that, mine went up too. But he had those 19t motors running like a 6t LOL. Now I told him just do the normal stuff <G>

AChupp2 12-02-2006 07:43 PM

If you have the money or just want the best, the Fantom Lathe is second to none but most will do just fine. I use the Integy Automatic Lathe and it is simple and makes a great cut.

EAMotorsports 12-02-2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by AChupp2
If you have the money or just want the best, the Fantom Lathe is second to none but most will do just fine. I use the Integy Automatic Lathe and it is simple and makes a great cut.

IF I was looking for a new lathe the Fantom would be my LAST choice!! Ive seen way to many of them cutt with a taper in them and it can NOT be adjusted out of a Fantom lathe like it can with others. 400.00 is a lot of cash to spend on something that may or may not cut straight :(

If I was going to spend that kind of cash I would look at the Team Hard lathe. I have one here I am playing with and it is awesome. In fact is probably going to replace my trusty ol' Orion lathe as the Norm....Just want to test its durability and ease of use a few more weeks.

EA

AChupp2 12-02-2006 08:01 PM

WOW! I have never heard anybody say that, only good things but I won't disagree. I know they aren't adjustable so it would definitely be possible. I would think that most lathes are sufficient though.

EAMotorsports 12-02-2006 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AChupp2
WOW! I have never heard anybody say that, only good things but I won't disagree. I know they aren't adjustable so it would definitely be possible. I would think that most lathes are sufficient though.

Yea I wouldnt have thought the Fantoms would have been bad either but I had a few drivers that said when they rebuilt their motors the amp draw was near nothing (3-4 amps on a motor that was 10+). So I cutt the comm for them and it was right back up to where it should have been. After measuring the comm we found the problem. But I have seen plenty of Fantoms that cut awesome...Mo Denton has one, Todd Putnam has one, Michael Skeen, etc....Kinda weird

EA

picco007 12-02-2006 08:08 PM

I have had the Orion Quick set lathe for a year now and it has been great. I would seriously look into a manual lathe rather than an automatic one. Just my .2 cents.

Hyper1 12-03-2006 06:57 AM

Interesting EA,I will have to check my Fantom lathe,what exactly did you find with the bad ones?

EAMotorsports 12-03-2006 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hyper1
Interesting EA,I will have to check my Fantom lathe,what exactly did you find with the bad ones?

That they cutt with a bad taper (smaller toward the stacks) by .001-.002.

EA

protc3 12-03-2006 07:28 AM

i agree eric.i never bought a lathe that didnt need to be adjusted to cut straight and round.it takes me a bit but the lathe always cuts awesome and my bits always last longer.the fact that you can't adjust the fantom lathe is why i never tried one.

HarshGuy 12-03-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lon_L
Anyone have any experience with these? I am thinking of getting one. I really hate motor maintenance. Where I live now , Tony Ross does my motors for me, and does a great job. But I am moving to Fl and I will be on my own.

I like the idea of it being fully automatic, but how good does it really do?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks for any input.

I have one of these, cuts beautifully ...but it does take setup time for every com you , even if you are cutting all monster stock arms in a row as an example, not 2 have the "exact same positioning" of the com, what you have to adjust is the amount of movement the lathe will have back and forth ...I've gotten used to it now so no big deal, but it was pretty "painful" at first ...certainly the kewl thing about it is that you end up with a very nive cut as the back and forth movement of the lathe is controlled by the unit itself not by your hand cranking on a wheel (i.e. you drank a lot of coffe and energy drinks and you're hand's all jitery and you end up with threads on your com :ha: ).