Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
what is the correct way to store battery? >

what is the correct way to store battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the correct way to store battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default what is the correct way to store battery?

Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the correct way to store battery. I was gone for 4 weeks and all of my battery false peaked and had to be recharged. I stored them at .9v.

for 1-2 weeks?
for 1 months?
for 6 months?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Tech Regular

what i do is after a run if i'm not going to use that pack till next week i discharge down to 0.9v let the pack cool down to room temp then put 500mah charge in them and store, then when i'm going to use them again i discharge down to 0.7v then peak as normal and run. Thats using ib42 wc's for gp 33/37's i only discharge down to 0.9. hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Be extra careful with the 4200's. After talking with a few different battery matchers, the common concensus is that they have a tendency to reverse if not stored with enough charge for extended amounts of time. Typically, I'm putting 500 seconds back into cells that won't be used for more than 2 or 3 weeks and I haven't had any reversal problems. Just be sure to let them cool back down completely before charging again. Otherwise, you may wind up venting one. Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default where to start?

Hey guys......I just purchased a used xray to start racing the touring class. I have a very small budget...until after christmas to get me started. The car came with six 3300 packs. The charger I bought charges at up to 5.0 amps. But discharging......I have no idea how to get the most out of these packs for now. Do I need a dishcharger? What would be the most cost effective way to keep these packs working for the next month until I can purchase what I need!!! Any help would be great R.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
Hey guys......I just purchased a used xray to start racing the touring class. I have a very small budget...until after christmas to get me started. The car came with six 3300 packs. The charger I bought charges at up to 5.0 amps. But discharging......I have no idea how to get the most out of these packs for now. Do I need a dishcharger? What would be the most cost effective way to keep these packs working for the next month until I can purchase what I need!!! Any help would be great R.
Are they side by side batteries or stick packs?

For a stick pack, its only reasonably convenient to discharge them in series down to 5.4 volts. You could probably get a bulb discharger and cuttoff bug for around $20.00, or fabricate something yourself with tailight bulbs and watch over it with a digital multimeter.

For a side by side pack you can discharge them in series down to 5.4 volts using the above method or a more expensive and higher amperage discharger then equalize them in a tray. You could get a used bulb type tray for around $20.00 and watch them carefully, or get a used Novak Smartray for around $50.00, it is better because it has automatic cuttoff on each cell.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thanks

They are side by side.........the trays discharge each cell and cut them off at the right time? I'll have to check this Friday at the races to see what the guys are using or if someone has some used goodies!!! Thanks Ice