R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Need a fast RTR car around $100.

I've been looking around for a R/C car but have no idea what to look for. This is a gift for a mid 20 male and he asked for "fast" and "performance". Also said needs to use AA/AAA batteries so he can recharge.

I need something around $100 and here is what I found.

Somebody mentioned to look for ft/min on the package if I buy it in store so I have an idea how fast they are. They said I should easily find at least 1300 ft/min items.

Any other recommendations? Those types of cars is what he's looking for as well.

Thank you
neogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Tech Elite

This may sound snobbish but it is actually honest advice.

Your budget won't buy a "hobby-grade" car, the type of car that most of us own here on RC Tech.

The cars you list are "toy-grade", basically they cannot be repaired, and they use non-standard electronics that can't be interchanged.

None of the toy-grade cars are really fast. The speed claims you see on some boxes are pretty optimistic.

However, the Tamiya QD is probably the BEST example of a toy car you could spend your money on.

Hope that helps.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Tech Elite

PS I should add that a Tamiya XB is probably the cheapest way into RTR electric - this is one example of several available - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFSG3&P=7. You will need to buy a battery and charger but they can be used with many different models in the future. The extra money is well worth it.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote