Wiki Posts
Search

Tire cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 03:34 AM
hoj
Tech Rookie

Default Tire cleaning

When you race on carpet or tarmac with rubber tires how do you get your tires cleaned after the race? Do you use some cleaner to do this or do you just coat your tires with new layer of traction fluid?

Is any cleaning needed in between?

Your experiences would be nice to share…

My experiences are, that even wiping out tires with towel helps a lot but what kind of chemicals should be used to effort this?

Last edited by hoj; 02-24-2003 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

if i'm really serious, then i clean them with petrol, but usually i just wipe them with a cloth, we're not allowed to use traction fluid.

sanj
Old 02-24-2003, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Same here, except that I use isopropylalcohol.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tire cleaning

I use Simple Green to clean my sedan tires. I race mostly on concrete and asphalt and get good results.

I will use TQ Blue for the practice runs and if I like what the car feels like, then I will apply the TQ before the first heat race then use the Simple green for the rest of the races.

If the track feels greasey then I will just use the Simple Green before every run.

The TQ works best if applied maybe 15min or so before the race. Let it set on the tires for a few minutes, then wipe off.

The Simple Green dries faster so it can be used right before the race.

Works for me.
See Ya,
Rod
Old 02-24-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since we run on indoor asphalt having some oil from nitro cars on the surface, I use lighter fluid on cloth to keep the tire clean. Best way to take out that sticky oil on the tires.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

If you're at the track you can use motor spray on a clean white rag (helps a lot to see the residue your pulling off the tire). When you're back at home I've always had good results using good ol' warm soapy water. Scub 'em real good, let them dry and put them in a sealed bag out of the light. R/C rubber will degrade from UV expossure just like a full size tire. This also works well for foam tires. When you start each race or practice with a clean tire you take out of the set-up eqation some of the changes that a tire will go through from run to run.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default How do you get your tires cleaned ?

Motor spray works good, but drys the rubber out. WD-40 works good to dissolve the goo and also keeps the rubber fresh and soft. A lot of Guys use Simple Green, but I've never been impressed with it's cleaning ability on ANY surface. SG will also leave a slimy residue if you use it on a hard suface, so I question it's use on tires.
WD-40 also makes a good Traction additive. Spray some on the tires and let it soak in, then wipe it off before the run.

Not trying to recommend one over the other, just stating what has worked well for me.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

pops,
Have you ever tried Simple Green on your rubber tires? The stuff works great. I've also used WD-40 and it works well, but I bet it leaves a residue on a hard surface.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Does Simple green has methyl salicylate in it?
Old 02-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Default it leaves a residue on a hard surface

underdog;

That is VERY good.

I never looked at it that way before.
My only defense is, WD-40 is Petroleum based and so is the Rubber in tires. You still need to wipe it off before the race. No one limits the use of Traction compound where I normally race, so my preference is for Paragon tire sauce. I still use some WD-40 when I store my tires. Helps keep them from drying out in the baggies.
I forgot to mention, WD-40 makes the plastic look brand new on your Off-Road Vehicles after cleaning them.

That was a good come back