R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Transmitter lipos (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/138215-transmitter-lipos.html)

kuzo 11-26-2006 10:10 AM

Transmitter lipos

I was looking for battery packs for my Spektrum and noticed this lipo pack. I assume this ends up at 12.6V after fully charged. Will a transmitter handle this extra voltage?

AdrianM 11-26-2006 10:40 AM

Yup, its no problem at all. Be sure you get the correct type of charger for your transmitter lipo pack. It must be LiPo compatable and be sure to use the charge settings in the packs instructions.

kuzo 11-26-2006 04:56 PM

Adrian - Thanks for the quick reply the voltage difference was throwing me. Going to order soon. Charging shouldn't be a problem as I have both the Ice and Orion advanced avionics chargers. One of those will handle it. Plus I have the Orion balancer which should be beneficial. As with all lipos, I'll make sure to read the instructions carefully.

kuzo 12-06-2006 06:01 PM

So I ended up getting this lipo from RCMart: tx lipo

Got it in today and have a couple of questions for a lipo expert. I noticed that none of the tx packs have a balancing port. Is it not necessary at the low amp draw a transmitter has?

Second, the pack label does not specify a charge rate. The pack is 2500 mah with a 10C discharge rating. Is a 1C charge rate ok or should I go with less? Charging with an Ice with a temp probe set to cut at 90 degrees.

Thanks

kcrunchone 12-06-2006 08:50 PM

When you use the ice charger it will auto set the charge value. Do not try and change the value that is set you will damage the pack and render the lipo into a state where it could possibly be damaged or worse cause damage.

MrBlack 12-07-2006 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by kuzo
So I ended up getting this lipo from RCMart: tx lipo

Got it in today and have a couple of questions for a lipo expert. I noticed that none of the tx packs have a balancing port. Is it not necessary at the low amp draw a transmitter has?

Second, the pack label does not specify a charge rate. The pack is 2500 mah with a 10C discharge rating. Is a 1C charge rate ok or should I go with less? Charging with an Ice with a temp probe set to cut at 90 degrees.

Thanks

many transmitter packs leave out the balancing port to save on cost. Since you will not be drawing in bursts like a pack to drive the vehicle haveing the cells come out of balance is less of a factor but over time since they tend to use cheap cells (10C) you may want to in the future go with a pack that has a balancing port of some kind. Most 3cell Lipo's if not all will be fine.

If it is 2500mAh charging at 2.5A should be OK I would always check wiuth the cell manufacturer to be sure.

kuzo 12-07-2006 09:45 AM

Sounds good then. Charging at less than 2500 mah will not harm it I assume? I can safely charge at 1500 mah with no ill effects?