R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #1336
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

What am I missing here... Why not let the racer desided, allow 4 cell, 5 cell and 6 cell run at the same time... at the different weights... you pick...

What I'm I missing?
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #1337
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm
-Lock fixed this thread with one post. Take away volts and EVERYONE will gear up to get a speed advantage on the next guy. Gearing up will load the motor (more amps drawn) harder with the 5 cell setup than with the 6cells you started with. ie, burnt batteries, burnt motors, burnt speedos. Why not limit motor winds AND gear ratios? As a test put the smallest pinion and largest spur on your car and watch your equipment temps drop dramatically. TC racing CAN NOT be fixed by juggling cell #s. The only way to fix this is motor wind limits and gear limits...........
Yep, I agree.

Another idea :

5 minutes Qualifying : use your hottest motor to get the fastest lap

8 minutes Final : use your brain to calculate speed vs reliability
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #1338
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
What am I missing here... Why not let the racer desided, allow 4 cell, 5 cell and 6 cell run at the same time... at the different weights... you pick...

What I'm I missing?
Sounds reasonable.

You want more power go for six

You want more reliability go for five

No 4 cells ( they suxs.... need additional Rx battery, and ultra matched cells ---> expensive and battery wars ).
Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #1339
Tech Elite

Who cares if someone runs 4 cells, if they think it is right for them so be it...

Look at the end of the day most are going to run 6 cells at the higher weight, but ok, if you think you have got something with 5 cells, then run them....

Can you now see sharing setups?....
Old 12-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #1340
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
8 minutes Final : use your brain to calculate speed vs reliability
AMEN!!!!!!!!! We just did this at a club race... 19T had no problems with 3300 batteries... so make it 10 mins for the A mains... Now we are talking...
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #1341
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Who cares if someone runs 4 cells, if they think it is right for them so be it...

Look at the end of the day most are going to run 6 cells at the higher weight, but ok, if you think you have got something with 5 cells, then run them....

Can you now see sharing setups?....
I was kidding about 4 cells. Of course....., if anyone wants to use 4 cells strategy are welcome.

2007 will be interesting year if ROAR allows 4,5,6 cells as part of racer strategy.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #1342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I was kidding about 4 cells. Of course....., if anyone wants to use 4 cells strategy are welcome.

2007 will be interesting year if ROAR allows 4,5,6 cells as part of racer strategy.
It's already "legal" to run 5 or 4 cell in a ROAR 6 cell class. Just need to meet weight.

Rick Hohwart already posted that he notices almost no difference in a car that's an ounce or so different, heavy or light.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 AM   #1343
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
It's already "legal" to run 5 or 4 cell in a ROAR 6 cell class. Just need to meet weight.

Rick Hohwart already posted that he notices almost no difference in a car that's an ounce or so different, heavy or light.
I see.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #1344
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer

DING DING DING... WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at our club race we do not tech for weight so it's a non issue..
BUT we are going to have a 4 cell class so it's going to be interesting....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #1345
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Going to 4 cell in touring car does not mean burnt out speedos or motors. The reduction in voltage would be better for these parts. The concensus from those who have tried it is it's harder on the batteries.

Maybe it's me, but since ROAR has decided not to go to 4 cell, isn't any further discussion pointless?

...we're on a thread to nowhere...
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #1346
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml
Going to 4 cell in touring car does not mean burnt out speedos or motors. The reduction in voltage would be better for these parts. The concensus from those who have tried it is it's harder on the batteries.

Maybe it's me, but since ROAR has decided not to go to 4 cell, isn't any further discussion pointless?

They are still looking at it as a possibility in the future. They just wanted to do some testing and come up with some actual results as well as see how things go in Japan and Europe. I actually commend them for not knee-jerking and researching things before they decide which way to go.

4-cells won't necessarily mean burnt out speedos or motors just like 6-cell doesn't either. You burn those things out by pushing them to hard when you push the gearing to the edge. The only people burning out motors and speedos now are a FEW Mod racers.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #1347
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:

i agree but atleast gives them something to do
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #1348
Tech Legend

Quote:

Maybe it's me, but since ROAR has decided not to go to 4 cell[/i]
Too Bad ...
I told everyone the Sedan is a Fad 2 years ago....

Now I know for sure .....

2 more years, tops ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #1349
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
4-cells won't necessarily mean burnt out speedos or motors just like 6-cell doesn't either. You burn those things out by pushing them to hard when you push the gearing to the edge. The only people burning out motors and speedos now are a FEW Mod racers.
The whole point of racing is to go as fast as possible. If you're not going to push yourself all the way, why bother?

At my local track (South Shore Hobby, Long Island, NY) guys are burning out 19 turn motors at a pretty good pace. At a race last month I marshalled the 19 turn A. At the end I picked up the cars that came in 1st and 2nd. Both motors had that burnt smell that means time for a new motor. It's not just a handful of mod racers. We're approaching the point where all motors will be affected.

4 cell would have fixed this. Although top speed will be close, the amount of torque coming out of a turn would be greatly reduced, and that's what overheats motors. The problem is 4 cell would put more stress on the batteries, and that would be more expensive.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #1350
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcf1
I'm curious what everyone here thinks of slowing the cars down to have closer racing?

The arguments posted are mostly about equipment and manufacturers but I would suggest slowing things down to have close racing. Of course I realize that the words "slowing down" send most if not all racers into a tailspin. Most racers would benefit from having more time to react. Speed is cool but to me not as cool as good battles and side by side racing. I get a total rush from tight racing. Much more than destroying the field or having the fastest car.

Just a thought.
In concept, the idea doesn't sound bad, but there always will be guys who will just react to the equipment and end up in the same place. If you slow down the cars, they will find ways to go fast again. The class definitions will be the only things that will change, the racing will stay the same. At a local level, you've probably noticed that stock has gotten pretty fast, but those same guys will still continue to race in a class where they are matched against their same speed racing buddies. If stock goes slower, they will just turn 19t in to the new stock. Guys will race the speed they are comfortable with, not what motor is in the car or batteries. You've probably noticed this in Onroad stuff in Utah. Guys could care less what ROAR, IFMAR, the big races have for standards, they want to go fast and race a class that all their buddies are racing. At a higher level, the racing is already close; at the Worlds the top few heats were separated by only a few seconds. JMRCA tried it and they were probably separated by about the same margins, only they did everything they could to push the equipment to find the difference in speed. Yeah 6 cell at that level is hard on equipment, but 4 cell has it's problems too. Right now if you go to any big race, stock is only a few tenths behind 19t and 19t the same behind mod. The speed is dictated by the layout and the driving since most of the time laying the power down of a mod motor is the challenge. I was laughing when I saw Hara using 4 chargers to charge each cell of his pack. Bottom line is, you'll race in a class you feel is comfortable. Motors won't dictate speed, racers will.