Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Something that should be made clear.... "Adrian M" is listed on the ROAR site as a EX COM member. http://www.roarracing.com/excom.php
He might have mentioned this in a post but I doubt the majority here know this... so read his posts carefully... they show a lot about how ROAR thinks
He mainly posts on the other 4 and 5 cell threads but its easy to see what he favors
Old 11-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ottoman
Something that should be made clear.... "Adrian M" is listed on the ROAR site as a EX COM member. http://www.roarracing.com/excom.php
He might have mentioned this in a post but I doubt the majority here know this... so read his posts carefully... they show a lot about how ROAR thinks
He mainly posts on the other 4 and 5 cell threads but its easy to see what he favors
Yup and he'd fit in just fine in DC also since he Knows what's good for us better than we do....
Old 11-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Lets not forget that LiPo is more expensive for the matcher, too. If a pack is made of only two cells, that means each cell is a lot more valuable. A "bad" cell is going to cost matchers a whole like more than NiMH. I'm sure matchers would rather toss a bad NiMH that cost them $3 than a bad LiPo that cost them $35.

So, LiPo is bad for the matcher, right? For the consumer, and for the average racer, it's awesome. Yes, I said awesome, and anybody that's tried it knows it's the truth. There's no voodoo required at all, and that is BETTER for new racers, and better for existing racers. Scaring people with stories about how the technology is going to evolve, and how you're going to drive up prices by trying to match them is shady.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Lord

Battery technology will always evolve. At some point, though, you need to admit when you're beat, and move on to the next thing. It too will eventually be obsoleted, and the next big thing will take its place.

NiMH is beat. It has been for years, and every single industry other than R/C knows it. Pointing to potential new technology down the road as a way to stall will work forever, because progress is infinite. But it's a stall tactic, and nothing more. NiMH manufacturers will eventually go out of business because R/C racing won't keep them alive. The basher market is already moving to LiPo, and racers are too. Just admit that your days are numbered, and enjoy it while you can.

Sorry it didn't work out.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nightsoilmen tried to block the progress of plumbing too.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisP
The argument that keeps coming up is brushless....I'm curious about the special rules exceptions allowed for brushless...This situation seems rather similar to the 'surprise' inclusion of BL motors into the mod class last year...I also seem to recall that the same BL motors were the ones suffering the most from thermal shutdown at many of the major racers.
Originally Posted by ChrisP
Is this proposed change for the benefit of racers and racing in general, or for the benefit of the BL manufacturers? Unfortunately, I suspect the latter....and at the expense of the former
Hmm.. interesting, could this be true??
Old 11-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is my problem with this. I am an independent racer. I depend a lot on stick packs to keep costs down. Unfortunately, no one makes stick packs in 4 cell configuration, so that means Id have to pony up for matched packs and that is about on the level of taking out a loan to cover all that.

If anybody ever DID make 4 cell stick packs, they'd probably cost a pretty penny because of their newness. Correct me if Im wrong about that though.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

I really don't understand why they want to knock down the one technology that is actually advancing only to keep our outdated (motors) technology from becoming obsolete.

Why doesn't ROAR put out an offer to motor manufacturers to come up with a more robust and efficient brushed motor design. Have a 1 year deadline and then if no one can come up with something then start to look at other options.

I am sure that there are a few engineers out there that would love the chance to redesign our current motors to create something that can run longer and can compete with brushless using our current brushed ESC's.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Johnny9s
I really don't understand why they want to knock down the one technology that is actually advancing only to keep our outdated (motors) technology from becoming obsolete.

Why doesn't ROAR put out an offer to motor manufacturers to come up with a more robust and efficient brushed motor design. Have a 1 year deadline and then if no one can come up with something then start to look at other options.

I am sure that there are a few engineers out there that would love the chance to redesign our current motors to create something that can run longer and can compete with brushless using our current brushed ESC's.
I agree with you on the out dated motors.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Here is my problem with this. I am an independent racer. I depend a lot on stick packs to keep costs down. Unfortunately, no one makes stick packs in 4 cell configuration, so that means Id have to pony up for matched packs and that is about on the level of taking out a loan to cover all that.

If anybody ever DID make 4 cell stick packs, they'd probably cost a pretty penny because of their newness. Correct me if Im wrong about that though.
Yeah I dunno, check this site:http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...gid=loosecells

Elite cells at 4.55 per cell, configure however you want. 18.20 for 4 cells, 27.30 for 6 cells. Pretty cheap I'd say.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hmm, never thought to look at that.

Having read a lot or possibly all of his posts, his position is more defensive than neutral on the subject. More like he's trying to sell the idea than be interested in what the memebers have to say and keep a neutral eye on it. Well, there's one of the excomm with his mind made up.

No offence to Adrian, these are things that can be read by anybody that looks back.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I thought the majority of folk on here knew this already. What's really disconcerting is that he strongly hinted that ROAR would be going the 4 Cell route at least a month ago on another thread.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

One thing that I really don't understand with ALL these threads...everyone talks about being able to run with the big dogs...with the factory guys. Anyone think Formula 1 will slow their cars down or impose rules because I want to race Formula 1. I don't have the cash or the skills. Let's dummy down Formula 1 so I can do it. I know there are differences here but it's the same basic principle.

It's racing, there is always going to be someone or some company willing to pay more to go faster. It's racing, that's what happens. I really think that if you don't like it, go collect stamps. But hey, even with stamps someone else is always going to have a larger collection.

One-upmanship is always part of racing. The local Oval track here has a similar problem...they keep inventing new "spec" classes so that everyone can win. It's stupid.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
I thought the majority of folk on here knew this already. What's really disconcerting is that he strongly hinted that ROAR would be going the 4 Cell route at least a month ago on another thread.
He consistently tells us that this is from the "industry insiders" and that they know better that we do....
Old 11-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Thatīs pretty unfair. Adrian feel a lot of responsibility to this sport/hobby and always try to look at the big picture.
Why not just try to understand it for a change? Kind of just try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.