Wiki Posts
Search

passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default passing etiquette

I am finally at the level of driving where I don't have to pull over once every 10 laps to let the faster racers by, now I am one of the faster racers. I regularly make a-mains at the clubs I race at and I am now faced with the delima of passing other drivers. Now if the driver is significantly slower it isn't a problem, he will blow a corner eventually, and I can get around (not everyone moves out of the way for faster drivers), however I am having a problem with the people that are not significantly slower than myself, I am talking about the people who are .1-.2 seconds a lap slower. I race on a fairly small track appx. 40'x60', very technical alot of 12' straights followed by corner of some sort. If you make the a-main you can drive the line, so where do you pass a guy that is just a little slower? I can't do it on the long straight because everyones car is about the same speed, so I try to do it in the corners, this is where I make most of my time on people. But when do you have the right away so to speak to pass. I usually envision the upcoming corner and if the nose of my car will make it through the apex of the corner first I try to pass, however I cannot tell how many times I have been put into the wall doing this, other drivers want to drive thier line whether a car is there or not. So if I can't get by a guy without him putting me into the wall, is it wrong of me to give him a nudge to get by? Now I don't expect everyone to move over just so I can get by, but what I do expect is that if I have the line you should yeild. Maybe I am wrong, let me know what you guys do.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Addict

If you are lapping them then they HAVE to get out of the way and if they don't within a cormer or so of you telling them lapping give them a tap.

If you are racing for position they don't have to get out of your way if you are faster, it is the passers responsability to make a clean pass, on the other hand though there are plenty of racers who won't give up a corner even though they KNOW you have beaten them, and beaten them cleanly, and will just turn in on you anyway, you pretty soon get to know those racers and either make sure it is a very easy pass or give them a tap after they have tried to chop your nose off a couple times.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I plan on attending the onroad nats this upcoming year, I highly doubt I will do well but just in case I wanted to know the "legal" way of passing.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

On a tight technical track its really hard to pass somebody. Only thing you can do is put preasure on them and wait till they make a mistake. I used to race in a small carpet track myself (80x40) and most of the time is follow the leader, But you can always dive on the corners hard and try to outbreak them if you're brave enough and doing it without taking other cars out.

Coming off the straight and going into first turn is usually I can pass somebody if you keep preassure on them they tend to over shoot but you need to keep a tight line so you can pass them incase they made this mistake.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

One thing you can try when following someone (when you're fighting for position) is to make sure they know you're faster. Get close sometimes, maybe drop back a hair and then make it up again real quick. I think there's an art to following someone that can pressure them into making a mistake. People tend to overdrive when they feel the pressure of someone looking to pass, and that's when mistakes happen.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian
I plan on attending the onroad nats this upcoming year, I highly doubt I will do well but just in case I wanted to know the "legal" way of passing.
99% of the time at a big race such as the "nats" the announcer (if doing their job ) will let everyone on the track know whos the fast car and 99% of the guys will move. There are a few that still dont like to in Qualifiers though. Some guys also have certain corners they like to let guys pass in so it cost them the least amount of time. If you give the guy 2 corners and he doesnt move after being told then its bump and run time Although Ive seen guys that dont even give 2 corners...they get there, peel em and pass em all in the same corner

EA
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Although Ive seen guys that dont even give 2 corners...they get there, peel em and pass em all in the same corner
Seen guys?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Tech Regular

i agree with the pressure manouvre when you get up behind someone that you want to take for position keep on thier tail and make dummy overtaking moves eg: go to the inside let them think your going past and then drop back again do this a few times and get the driver in front thinking about where your going to try it and you can be sure whilst he's thinking about what your doing he's not focused on his car and he'll make a mistake hopefully enough for you to get through, i use this manouvre when i go karting or when i'm on my xbox 360 and it works time after time.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Hmmm.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope DW and Guy don't find this thread!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Tech Adept

i hate when you pass someone on the track then on the next jump the guy goes full ball and take you out. (off road)

happen to me in a semi, was 2nd the guy smash into me in the air on a jump and i broke

now i play no more mr nice guy. go hard or go home. nice guys always finish last.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I learn a lot from my racing mentor...... There is a little bit of chrome horn on all my lexan.

Long live PT!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

3 corners. = 3 chances to get out of the way or you're out
Old 11-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

This is a Hobby, screaming, yelling and punting people does not belong in it. If you're fast enough to lap someone then you should be fast enough to grab a different line to do it...

We have a few of us who hack and punt each other out of fun but when we are seriously racing the faster guy will usually either wait till the slower guy lets him go or pass him cleanly....

You want to punt me maliciously and I'm already a lap down I'll just slow down some more and wait for you to come back around again....
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In the mains, if we are getting lapped we should tuck away from the racing line just enough to allow the faster car by. This is easier said than done, but we should all do our best.

In qualifying, it's a different story, especially at bigger races. You may have been placed in a heat with drivers that are above your skill. You may not be A-main material, but your aiming for the B or C main. If you start pulling over for the A-main guys in your heat, you will loose time and get pushed into the lower mains. In qualifying it's up to the fast guy to pass you, not you let the fast guy by, it's each person on their own clock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.